UK Car Recommendations

Having just had my Vectra declared "uneconomical to repair" following a shunt, I find myself up a creek without a paddle, car wise. I'm not even remotely a petrol head so I'm wondering if you guys have some recommendations..

I'm looking for something in a family car. I need reasonable space in the back (2 kids), decent boot space, something that's reasonably roomy as I ain't a small chap. I'm thinking possibly diesel as many modern diesels are in tax band C now so are cheap to tax. I don't need high performance but I do like "features". :p

I've got a budget of about ?6k, maybe ?7k at a push (depending on what my insurance company pay out). I'd prefer something within 3 years old if I can swing it.

I'm thinking maybe something like a Renault Megane, a Ford Focus or possibly a Vauxhall Astra, but I'll welcome any suggestions!

yeah as above said

Ford Mondeo

Ford Focus

VW Passat

Audi A4

All big cars so plenty room, depending on your age Insurance should not be too bad, Focus will be the cheapest

Fords are easier and cheaper to maintain than other cars so they are a good shout. I'm also a fan of Vauxhall's.. petrol astra's have nice simple engines unlikely to encounter any major problems, and they are lovely to drive.. in my opinion.

I would highly recommend the Nissan Note. It's a Mini MPV (Rather than a Saloon) and really spacious, has plenty of features and is fairly cheap for a new model (09 Reg, 60k miles, ?5.5k).

Also it's so easy and comfortable to drive. Try and get a newer model if you can (They look much nicer).

Just bear in mind being in the UK a Japanese car e.g. nissan, mitsubishi etc will be more expensive on insurance

for example i drive a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 and i am close to ?500 insurance

and for a ford focus 1.6 sport i am ?233

Honda Civic is a good choice, got one myself a while ago, decent space, good economy and a surprisingly large ammount of room....

Plus for techies like most people on Neowin the dash looks like a space ship lol.

I would highly recommend the Nissan Note. It's a Mini MPV (Rather than a Saloon) and really spacious, has plenty of features and is fairly cheap for a new model (09 Reg, 60k miles, ?5.5k).

Also it's so easy and comfortable to drive. Try and get a newer model if you can (They look much nicer).

Nissan customer service is shocking and their dealers aren't any better.

On a more consecutive note if your looking to stick with Vauxhall then the Insignia can be picked up in your price range.

Bit of a curveball but the Mk3 Renault Laguna is also a lot of car for the money and much improved over the last one. Although the looks are a bit of an acquired taste.

Nissan customer service is shocking and their dealers aren't any better.

Well we've never had to deal with Customer Service, and the dealers we have been to were actually very good and very helpful, much better than the Vauxhall one I recently went to.

Well we've never had to deal with Customer Service, and the dealers we have been to were actually very good and very helpful, much better than the Vauxhall one I recently went to.

True - it was wrong of me to tar them all with the same brush, there are good ones and like Renault - the non franchise ones do tend to be better.

I would love an Evo 10 in black. Really smart looking car, but out of your price range.

For an all round family car, I would recommend something like a Focus. - I personally find Vauxhall to have really bad build quality.

All interesting posts, thanks. :)

I'm leaning towards something from Ford, I think. I've had Fords in the past and loved every one of them. Hell, I only got rid of my XR3i because some uninsured bint t-boned me out of a side street years ago! :(

However, I kinda like Vauxhalls too... My Vectra did me well, though as Clarkson often complains, they do NOT go around corners at any decent speed! :p Might take an Astra out for a test drive.

Gah.. This is all so damned irritating... Bloody stupid woman slamming her brakes on for no reason...

What about petrol or diesel? My commute is really short, 4 miles each way, so I guess diesel wouldn't be a good idea...

you could save half your money and buy my car off me, audi s4 2.7 v6 ;)

all joking aside id throw my vote behind a mondeo

plenty of choice on autotrader but this one jumped out:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301044780705/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/price-to/6000/model/mondeo/make/ford/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1501/page/1/quicksearch/true/postcode/wr40hq?logcode=p

If your commute is only 4 miles and you do opt for a diesel, make sure it does not have a DPF filter as it will cause you problems.

^ Heh, I'm asking because I -don't- want a Vectra! I got that for specific reasons at the time which no longer exist, and didn't know it was a turkey at the time.

This time, I'm trying to research better to make a more informed choice. So far, I'm kinda leaning towards a Ford Focus... Good reliable car by all counts, and very popular meaning parts won't be stupidly expensive. I'm not brand ###### though, so happy for any sensible suggestions (gotta be cheaper to run than the Vectra was).

320d/330d Estate or A4 Avant 2.0 or 3.0 TDI. All the space, performance, fuel economy, reliability and toys you could possibly want in a car.

Bonus with the A4 is the quattro permanent all wheel drive for those three days of the year we have snow.

So far, I'm kinda leaning towards a Ford Focus... Good reliable car by all counts, and very popular meaning parts won't be stupidly expensive. I'm not brand ###### though, so happy for any sensible suggestions (gotta be cheaper to run than the Vectra was).

Ford Focus directly competes with VW Golf/Jetta.

In my humble opinion, VW is better in every way: efficiency, dynamics, ergonomics, the quality of the plastic materials used to decorate the interior, etc...even the design, subjectively speaking.

VW Golf

VW Golf Plus

VW Jetta

VW Tiguan - I'm not too sure if it's a real deal, the price is too good to be true.

Skoda Octavia

Skoda Roomster

Skoda Fabia

• Like 1

Alas, no VW's of appropriate size are within range of my address. :(

As for the Skoda's... There's a couple in my range, but they seem to have an even higher tax band than my Vectra did! I'm not looking to increase costs! :p The Vectra is a tax band H, so I'm looking for something smaller, with probably either a 1.4 or 1.6 litre engine (depending on car size - a 1.4 is fine in a Corsa, not so much in a Focus!)

Alas, no VW's of appropriate size are within range of my address. :(

No pain, no gain :/

When I was in the market for a used car last time, that was three years ago, I was literally searching day and night for the car, visited several dozen dealerships, inspected dozens of cars, etc...And then you find what you really want and need, drive happy ever after, and enjoy life :)