Can't blame them judging by the last trailer they released. You could see they needed more time.

That trailer was hastily put together after they unexpectedly won an award:

D9JeUYT.jpg

• Like 3

That was just a bad excuse form them. You can still see they got a lot of work to do to achieve their previously revealed level of detail (that were also shown on youtube) even after watching the almost 3 gigabytes in size uncompressed elder blood trailer.

And it's not just video. Can see the lack of details in recent screenshots like this one, as well: http://i3.minus.com/izxz9WBSCJJTe.png

But I got faith in CD Project RED. If they promised no downgrades, I'll take their word.... until the game will be released (hopefully without any more delays).

That was just a bad excuse form them. You can still see they got a lot of work to do to achieve their previously revealed level of detail (that were also shown on youtube) even after watching the almost 3 gigabytes in size uncompressed elder blood trailer.

And it's not just video. Can see the lack of details in recent screenshots like this one, as well: http://i3.minus.com/izxz9WBSCJJTe.png

But I got faith in CD Project RED. If they promised no downgrades, I'll take their word.... until the game will be released (hopefully without any more delays).

I'm not seeing any problems with that screen shot? A comparison shot is needed.

I'm not seeing any problems with that screen shot? A comparison shot is needed.

Some problems I see,

low resolution fur / fur as a texture

low res 2D foliage

2k instead of 4k screenshot

Granted they can just release a HD pack later on...

I didn't realise this was delayed until May...I have to say the character swapping seems completely un-witcher like and not really a relevant feature any gamer would have been expecting.  I usually give these guys the benefit of the doubt but I hope they haven't included it just for the sake of adding in a playable female character.

I didn't realise this was delayed until May...I have to say the character swapping seems completely un-witcher like and not really a relevant feature any gamer would have been expecting.  I usually give these guys the benefit of the doubt but I hope they haven't included it just for the sake of adding in a playable female character.

It's not really a character swapping feature, it's an extension of the story by introducing a previously established character as playable for some specific areas in the story. Basically when you get to those parts of the story, you will take control of Ciri, when you finish those parts, your control will go back to Geralt. It's not a swappable character where you can switch whenever you want to and run around and play the game as Ciri. Or at least that's how I understood the announcement.

EDIT: Here's some excerpts talking about her:

Her presence will allow the studio to dig into some different narrative angles, but it emphasized that the game remains entirely about the Witcher, Geralt.

"CD Projekt Red decided that introducing another character and telling parts of the story from her perspective would greatly benefit the overall experience," CD Projekt said in the release.

So yeah, it's not just a "Do you want to play as a male character for female character?" prompt at the beginning or at any point through the game really....most of the game you will be forced to play as Geralt, and some parts of the game you will be forced to play as Ciri.

That being said, how exactly would swapping be "un-witcher like"? They have already said this will be the last Witcher game centered on Geralt, but not the last Witcher game, Ciri was trained by Geralt and is being hunted by the Wild Hunt, so it will fit into the game very well.

• Like 1

Yeah I read the details but I still think character swapping sums it up and unfortunately I still don't see the value it adds to the experience.  As I said just seems un-witcher like to me, but 100% agree we won't know till we play it, but like anything great it requires balance you don't make a great game by shoving in every feature under the sun, with these delays im just slightly questioning if they've gone down that route a bit - hopefully not.

That being said, how exactly would swapping be "un-witcher like"? They have already said this will be the last Witcher game centered on Geralt, but not the last Witcher game, Ciri was trained by Geralt and is being hunted by the Wild Hunt, so it will fit into the game very well.

It would be unwitcher like in the sense of you are playing geralt why swapping around all of a sudden.  Would be like throwing the signs out and just giving him a wand...unwitcher like.

However someone just mentioned the Witcher 2 had instances where you character swapped, I can't for the life of me remember that but I guess I stand corrected in general.

It would be unwitcher like in the sense of you are playing geralt why swapping around all of a sudden.  Would be like throwing the signs out and just giving him a wand...unwitcher like.

However someone just mentioned the Witcher 2 had instances where you character swapped, I can't for the life of me remember that but I guess I stand corrected in general.

Yeah there were a few brief sections in TW2 where you character swapped, one where you play as king hensalt or or prince demevend for example.

Last trailer (Dec 5) looks very bad, compared to other trailers graphics wise. Was there any response to this from CDPR?

Last trailer (Dec 5) looks very bad, compared to other trailers graphics wise. Was there any response to this from CDPR?

Video compression issues + totally slapped together at last minute trailer

post-159052-0-33854400-1419829681.jpg

• 1 month later...

Witcher 3 Dev Confirms Install Size is 50GB on PS4 and Xbox One

The Witcher 3 will require around 50GB of install space on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, its developer has confirmed to GameSpot.

CDProjekt RED, the Warsaw based studio currently finishing work on the highly anticipated action-RPG, could not provide exact details on install sizes at this juncture. But, following a purportedly leaked PSN listing, the studio has confirmed that 50GB is the ballpark figure.

Minimum and recommended PC specs for the Witcher 3, which were released in January, had already suggested that about 40GB of hard drive space was necessary to install the game.

Fifty gigabytes of required space makes The Witcher 3 one of the biggest next-gen console games yet, though it's not uncommon for certain Xbox One and PS4 games to carrry similar storage requirements. NBA 2K14 and Assassin's Creed Unity both require more than 40GB of space.

The sheer scale of The Witcher 3 has already become a talking point for its developer. The game's world is apparently about 35 times the size of its predecessor, and about 20 percent bigger than the vast world of Skyrim. It will also render at 1080p on PlayStation 4 (and at a visually similar 900p on Xbox One).

The Witcher 3 release date is May 19 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

See below for a selection of the latest Witcher 3 images:

Witcher 3 Dev Confirms Install Size is 50GB on PS4 and Xbox One

The Witcher 3 will require around 50GB of install space on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, its developer has confirmed to GameSpot.

CDProjekt RED, the Warsaw based studio currently finishing work on the highly anticipated action-RPG, could not provide exact details on install sizes at this juncture. But, following a purportedly leaked PSN listing, the studio has confirmed that 50GB is the ballpark figure.

Minimum and recommended PC specs for the Witcher 3, which were released in January, had already suggested that about 40GB of hard drive space was necessary to install the game.

Fifty gigabytes of required space makes The Witcher 3 one of the biggest next-gen console games yet, though it's not uncommon for certain Xbox One and PS4 games to carrry similar storage requirements. NBA 2K14 and Assassin's Creed Unity both require more than 40GB of space.

The sheer scale of The Witcher 3 has already become a talking point for its developer. The game's world is apparently about 35 times the size of its predecessor, and about 20 percent bigger than the vast world of Skyrim. It will also render at 1080p on PlayStation 4 (and at a visually similar 900p on Xbox One).

The Witcher 3 release date is May 19 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

See below for a selection of the latest Witcher 3 images:

Sounds great, but as Jim Sterling said in his RE Remake video a bigger map size isn't always better. 

• 2 months later...

Why you do that?

"I'll be back when the game is on a 75% discount with all DLCs included. Also, I'll never recommend The Witcher 3 to anyone ever again. And it wasn't the actual Season Pass that you announced that turned me away, but the actual crap of PR behind it."

"I don't care about the actual content, but the PR behind it. They've been riding the PR ###### train for several years now, and this just did it for me. There is just too much stuff to mention, back from when they started suing people in Germany, to leading the way for regionally priced stuff on GOG, to leading the way for regionally locked / non-giftable purchase on GOG, to the "look free DLCs for everybody" cheap PR stunt which they used to cash in on other companies' silliness, to their aim to get the game running properly in glorious 30 FPS for that CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE, to it ending up looking nothing like the first previews because they cannot be bothered to make platform-specific versions, to this."

"I'll be back when the game is on a 75% discount with all DLCs included. Also, I'll never recommend The Witcher 3 to anyone ever again. And it wasn't the actual Season Pass that you announced that turned me away, but the actual crap of PR behind it."

"I don't care about the actual content, but the PR behind it. They've been riding the PR ###### train for several years now, and this just did it for me. There is just too much stuff to mention, back from when they started suing people in Germany, to leading the way for regionally priced stuff on GOG, to leading the way for regionally locked / non-giftable purchase on GOG, to the "look free DLCs for everybody" cheap PR stunt which they used to cash in on other companies' silliness, to their aim to get the game running properly in glorious 30 FPS for that CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE, to it ending up looking nothing like the first previews because they cannot be bothered to make platform-specific versions, to this."

Oh ok yeah I'll probably get it when it's on sale too because I got plenty of other games to finish first.

Nothing wrong with charging for what the term expansion or DLC used to mean many years ago. If you create what is essentially another "game within a game" then I will happily reward you for that if it's good.

It's not as if the Morrowind expansions came for free.

• Like 1