Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Damo R.

tv

11 posts in this topic

George R.R. Martin, on whose fantasy book series HBO?s hit drama Game Of Thrones is based, has signed a two-year overall deal with the pay cable network. Under the pact, Martin will continue as co-executive producer on Game Of Thrones, whose Season 3 premieres March 31. Additionally, he will develop and produce new series projects for the network. Attached to Martin?s upcoming HBO development is his long-time representative, manager Vince Gerardis. In addition to co-executive producing Game Of Thrones, Martin has written multiple episodes of the fantasy series. His TV writing credits also include The Twilight Zone and the original Beauty And The Beast.

(http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/game-of-thrones-george-r-r-martin-signs-overall-deal-with-hbo/)

Seriously? The last thing he needs are new projects. This will either kill the remaining ASOIAF books, or it's a genius move by HBO into pressuring him into writing them faster. We'll see.

Seriously? The last thing he needs are new projects. This will either kill the remaining ASOIAF books, or it's a genius move by HBO into pressuring him into writing them faster. We'll see.

I think it might be a good thing for him to take a break from A Song of Ice and Fire.

I think it might be a good thing for him to take a break from A Song of Ice and Fire.

But he can't, can he now?

It took him 11 years to write the last two which are arguably not up to par to the first three in the series. The show will catch up with the books by the end of season 5, which gives him, what, two years to finish The Winds of Winter? Not to mention there's another book after that one which he'd need to churn up in record time.

I understand he must feel burnt out with the series (and imo the last two books show), but it's really not fair to the fans who invested themselves in this so far, to have the show run past the books and be the one to actually resolve the storyline. Personally, I'm for any conclusion as long as it happens, but I wish he was upfront about it and come out and say that his heart is not in it (which moves like this one show) and that he'll pass the torch to the show to finish the story.

It took him 11 years to write the last two which are arguably not up to par to the first three in the series. The show will catch up with the books by the end of season 5, which gives him, what, two years to finish The Winds of Winter? Not to mention there's another book after that one which he'd need to churn up in record time.

Not to mention he's also working on an encyclopedia of sorts which he said might turn out to be multiple volumes.

Guy needs to finish the series before he croaks.

As if Martin didn't have enough stuff on his plate, now he's definitely never going to finish ASoIaF. He seems to spend more time talking about the series than actually working on it. Alright, that's an exaggeration, but Martin acts as if he no longer cares.

He takes a break from writing after he finishes each ASOIAF book.

I understand he must feel burnt out with the series (and imo the last two books show), but it's really not fair to the fans who invested themselves in this so far, to have the show run past the books and be the one to actually resolve the storyline. Personally, I'm for any conclusion as long as it happens, but I wish he was upfront about it and come out and say that his heart is not in it (which moves like this one show) and that he'll pass the torch to the show to finish the story.

What's not fair is expecting an author to churn out book after book. Just because you've invested your time into reading a series of books doesn't mean the author has to "finish the story". Sometimes they need a break to try something new. I read that he's confident in publishing the sixth novel, The Winds of Winter, before the show continues beyond the novels. Also, I'm sure he stated on more than one occasion that he'd like to get into another genre like science fiction.

He takes a break from writing after he finishes each ASOIAF book.

What I meant was taking a break by writing about something other than A Song of Ice and Fire.

What's not fair is expecting an author to churn out book after book. Just because you've invested your time into reading a series of books doesn't mean the author has to "finish the story". Sometimes they need a break to try something new. I read that he's confident in publishing the sixth novel, The Winds of Winter, before the show continues beyond the novels. Also, I'm sure he stated on more than one occasion that he'd like to get into another genre like science fiction.

What I meant was taking a break by writing about something other than A Song of Ice and Fire.

Like his Wild Cards series that has been going since 1987 and will be seeing a 23rd volume? While he isn't the sole writer for that particular series, he spends a lot of time editing them between numerous convention visits and the "half a dozen other projects" he is involved in, as he put it. Perhaps it would help if he just came out and said he has no real interest in concluding the series and would allow someone else to take over. Martin, imho, has too much pride to do such a thing.

Like his Wild Cards series that has been going since 1987 and will be seeing a 23rd volume? While he isn't the sole writer for that particular series, he spends a lot of time editing them between numerous convention visits and the "half a dozen other projects" he is involved in, as he put it. Perhaps it would help if he just came out and said he has no real interest in concluding the series and would allow someone else to take over. Martin, imho, has too much pride to do such a thing.

Maybe he does have too much pride. I know that he strongly opposes fan fiction so that may be a clue as to why he doesn't want to let go of A Song of Ice and Fire. For now though, I'm sure he plans on finishing it.

Martin hopes that, after he surmounts the particularly thorny problems of ?A Dance with Dragons,? the final two books will come much faster. Some detractors insist that he?ll never complete the series, and they like to kibbitz about who ought to fill in for him if he pulls a Jordan. Martin, however, has indicated that he will not permit another writer to finish ?A Song of Ice and Fire.? The story begins and ends with him.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/04/11/110411fa_fact_miller#ixzz2KA26TaBF

His confidence has nothing to do with it, his track record on the other hand.. I am extremely skeptical, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I do understand that not many people reach fame and fortune at his age and by all means he deserves to enjoy it, I just think fans which got him there in the first place deserve some honesty as well, especially after the very, VERY cheap move of leaving practically every storyline in the last two books with huge cliffhangers.