Bookmarks question ...

Question

I haven't noticed any thread like this before, so I thought I'd ask.

Is there a software program or add-on that will combine bookmarks, eliminate duplicates, and put bookmarks in the order you choose ... ?

I'm mainly talking about Firefox.

Thanks for any insight. :)

3 answers to this question

Not sure I know what you mean by "combine" - merge lists? And from what sources / what format(s). Both from Fx or one list from another browser? Need more info before answer that. Merging 2 Fx lists is fairly easy.

"Put in order"... what type of ordering do you mean? Just ascending / descending alpha, or other types? Auto-Sort Bookmarks has simple sorting options. Another that had more options (but not sure is still offered) was Sort Places.

There are a few addons that say they find duplicates, but don't know how well they work. BE SURE to export your bookmarks to another HDD or external device.

If you export bookmark lists in html format, could use file comparison programs - like WinMerge - that will find where files are identical or different - line by line. Little bit of learning curve, but not too bad.

One issue is, in bookmarks you may sometimes WANT a bookmark under more than one folder / category. That's where I'm not sure how well some duplicate finders work

you have option to export in BOTH json & html format, which I do on a regular basis. "Backup" stores it in json; then there's an option to export in html.

If for instance, you want to pick & choose certain folders or bookmarks from a BU & add to current list, you can open an html list in any app capable of reading it (preferably w/ editing ability, like Notepad++). Edit / Save what you want, then import or combine those w/ another list. I'm not sure how good Fx is at importing / combining PARTIAL lists, or exactly how it handles importing an html list into the currently used bookmark set.

If when you select import (from html), it only winds up adding bookmarks from the imported list, that AREN'T already in the in-use list. I'm sure there's a KB on it.

But, as I said, you could compare 2 html lists w/ something like WinMerge & have several options on how to combine them, or just find differences in the files. Showing you line by line, where the differences are.

Here's a KB on importing from numerous sources & in different formats. http://kb.mozillazin...mport_bookmarks I'd BU current bookmarks, then play w/ importing some - from HTML. My impression is it adds list B to list A. I'm not sure it creates dups.

"Restore" (from json) COMPLETELY replaces the current list w/ the BU json copy about to be restored.

I'd ask for suggestions on Mozillazine Forums, & state exactly what your needs are.