Photo

Antivirus companies that have made major mistakes....

anti-virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#16 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:52

I'll start with the first one:
http://www.neowin.ne...ix-now-in-place
O hey wait, it's on the front page news

EXACTLY what I was going to post. Bet that link brought this topic up. Should go back and see if this topic was created by that person who said they gave up all their Kaspersky licenses for AVG, but I'm to lazy!!

Remeber, it's not just AV companies that have done this either. Remember when Malwarebytes had the same major issue with an update?

#17 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 06 February 2013 - 22:58

Hello,

As someone who actually works for a company which makes anti-malware software (the term "anti-virus" is not really de rigueur these days) I will admit to some curiosity. Do you have any idea why your client wanted you to "crowdsource" this to a forum, and what they planning on doing with the data? Aside from creating a report about user awareness of such issues, I really cannot see what the value would be for a report that sourced information in this fashion.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#18 OP remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 06 February 2013 - 23:47

I wasn't given much details, sorry.

They just went:

Hi Liz K./RemixedCat,

I noticed you are active on several forums and I would like your assistance with locating a partner that can help us with our security needs.

We are aware that you are a partner with Sophos (due to your contact/forum posts), however we discovered that they had a huge issue last year and we would like to avoid doing business with companies that have compromised thier customers computers.

We also have observed that you have a relationship with webroot. Is this correct? If so please specify what that relationship is.

We would also like it if you can ask around on a few of your forums and we can quickly find a new partner that way, or you may ask your co-workers. Please note that we are currently using Symantec's products, however they are not currently meeting our needs.

We would be thrilled to find a new partner that would meet our long term needs. Please note that we are not an IT focused company so we need even more help than most.

Thank you very much,
[name/company withheld]

Thing is I don't have a 'relationship" with webroot, nor do I have anything of theirs installed on my system or ever have. So I have no clue how good they really are. :(

I told them that as well. They haven't responded yet and I sent the reply to this email last night.

#19 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 06 February 2013 - 23:53

There seems to be a still unfixed bug in Avast on Windows XP that seems to make memory and CPU usage skyrocket when accessing network shares, I've reported it and been ignored so far. Will try and snag some evidence next time I'm at an XP unit.

#20 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 06 February 2013 - 23:55

It's one thing to ask for personal assistance; it's another to ask people to do your work for you. You should just search on Google or a security forum like everybody else here would do anyway. It's not like people have random anti-virus security breaches bookmarked just in case someone asks about them.

#21 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 06 February 2013 - 23:58

Their message suggests they're a bit ignorant of their own field/audience.. I would probably just put this to bed. :p

#22 OP remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 23:59

So nobody is allowed to ask for tech help here?

Some people actually do keep track of this stuff.... you know.... the fanboys.... so they have ammo against thier rvials supporters.....

kinda like how apple fanboys have TONS of links at the ready to attack windows fanboys....

I figured people would have those here. and this would be a good place to ask.

#23 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

Posted 07 February 2013 - 00:04

...but you didn't ask. I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be an article. After I read the OP, I thought I somehow wandered into the freelance/request-a-task forum by accident.

You have to realize that absolutely nothing about this makes sense, even moreso when you included that weird-ass letter.

#24 OP remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 00:07

Well I just wanted to ask what anti-malware company hasn't screwed up something major like deleting system files or anything.... that's all I asked was a simple question.....

I think everyone's reading into this too deeply and overreacting.

and just about every major one has and I even tried to look for myself for 5 hours and I couldn't find a decent one that hasn't..... so this was my "second opinion" sort of place as well.

#25 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 07 February 2013 - 00:11

I can understand why someone would need to gather extra data for a project like this, having reports from people using different configurations provides extra evidence, and it's the kind of research that most people don't have the resources to do on their own. If you want to help him do, if you don't then do not but is there really any need to drag the thread off topic because you don't like the way the member is trying to collect his data? It's sad to see so many people with an aversion to helping others without personal gain.

#26 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 07 February 2013 - 00:12

I do think a lot of people in this thread have jumped down your throat a bit, but... I can't even think of anything useful for you. I (and I bet most members here) have been selective with Antivirus and Antimalware software, and so have never really had any genuine problems with them.

#27 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 00:36

The best answer I can give you is, every AV ****s up at some point or another. AVG and McAfee seem to do it more often than others.

#28 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 February 2013 - 00:52

...and just about every major one has and I even tried to look for myself for 5 hours and I couldn't find a decent one that hasn't.....

I think you have answered your own question. None of them.

#29 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:35

Hello,

The reason for my question was that I found the whole setup, well, bizarre, for lack of a better term.

The message you were sent sounds like it was written by someone who had spent a some time studying your business practices in some level of detail to identify specific vendors you were familiar with (even if they got some of that wrong), which implies they already have some ability to do fairly targeted searches and analyze the results.

Why they would contact you, out of the blue, to perform some research that it sounds like they could simply handle in-house seems very strange to me. It reads almost like the setup portion of some type of scam, but I cannot image what the actual mechanism might be.

Here's a suggestion, though, that might help you with your research: Try visiting your favorite search engine (Google, Bing, et cetera) and doing a search on "{company name and/or product name} + bad signature update". You may have to play around with the search terms a little bit (bug|crash|error|issue|signature|update) but eventually you should get some media reports that help you build the report.

You might also want to do a little searching on the company or person asking about this, especially if you've not done business with them before. Even if all you find are routine things going back a few years, you will at least know they are stable and have been around for a while.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#30 OP remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 13:35

I know it's wierd they asked... mabye it's different then I thought it was... mabye it's a different reason they asked.... I don't know but they replied and they weren't too happy with this thread.... :(

I told them about ESET becuase my sister likes them and she has had them for 3 years and it's been good for her.....I did see some results of ESET deleting some files, however not near as tragic as symantec/mcafee/sophos/avg/avira

I shall see if they are happy with that.

still the best antivirus is

Common Sense 2013 Datacenter Edition

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!