12 posts in this topic

Posted

US billionaire John Malone's cable group, Liberty Global, has agreed to buy the UK's Virgin Media in a cash and stock deal worth $23.3bn (

Posted

"In the UK, it will be the second biggest pay-TV business after BSkyB." ... the second largest out of two :p (excluding the recent IPTV offerings of course)
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Stephen' timestamp='1360147112' post='595504640']
"In the UK, it will be the second biggest pay-TV business after BSkyB." ... the second largest out of two :p (excluding the recent IPTV offerings of course)
[/quote]

I'd have to say compared with Sky and Virgin Media the IPTV offerings in the UK take a tiny percentage.

Posted

Not sure if this is good or bad news.

Posted

Wont affect me, no cable in my street as its a new estate so they won't lay any down.

good to see Branson is planning his next space mission with some pocket money

Posted

Surprised at how fast this has happened. Read an article yesterday detailing that Virgin Media was in takeover talks and then this morning it was all agreed lol

Posted

Branson has nothing to do with Virgin Media - they simply licence the name.

Posted

[quote name='Gaffney' timestamp='1360147995' post='595504668']
Not sure if this is good or bad news.
[/quote]

Hopefully it's not bad. I recently switched to VM for broadband and have been very happy with their offering and service. I'd hate to see the new owner run the business down.

Posted

[quote name='watkinsx2' timestamp='1360148608' post='595504690']
Branson has nothing to do with Virgin Media - they simply licence the name.
[/quote]

Richard Branson owns a 15% stake in Virgin Media (or used too I would guess, not sure if he would keep any stake under this deal).

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Branson"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Branson[/url]

Posted

I'm sorry, who? Let's hope they don't make Virgin worse. For me, they're the best provider. Their customer service is abysmal but the service they offer is actually pretty awesome.
1 person likes this

Posted

I've never heard of "Liberty Global"? just looked it up and it says they own in the USA "Liberty Cablevision" I assume that is just Cablevision the cable provider?... which seems to be the only US company they own? seems they own more european stuff then anything

Edit: maybe it's not cablevision, just did some more research, and it says Liberty Cablevision is a cable company in puerto rico....

Posted

Apparently they operate services in 14 different countires, and with the purchase of Virgin Media will become the world's biggest broadband supplier....