Question

Hi

I wanted to design a website in Wordpress. But I didn't wanted to do it on line with Wordpress. Is there anyway I can download the Wordpress software, design the site on the PC itself without publishing it...

thanks

13 answers to this question

Download Wordpress to your machine and also download web server software like Xampp. Install Wordpress into Xampp and you can use that particular installation to create your theme. Once the theme is finished, you can export and install into the online wordpress installation.

Tip. Download a sample content.xml file like the one here and it will help in the theme design.

i use xampp, and make a new custom theme running on xampp so you just go to 127.0.0.1 to see your site

when you are happy then save theme and upload to real site

xampp is amazing for offline testing and developing.

Easiest way is to use a theme boilerplate (i write mine custom usually, however thats harder)

bones ( http://themble.com/bones/ ) is the best IMO but it uses LESS/SASS instead of CSS. You can use CSS but its awkward because it was really written for LESS/SASS

good tut: http://wp.tutsplus.c...etting-started/

Guys are there any good basic books for WordPress. I looked up dummies books for WordPress but the reviews on the Amazons are not that good.

The Wordpress documentation is pretty good. I've personally never read a Wordpress book, for a number of a reasons.

1) Many are aimed at wordpress.com as well as host your own Wordpress.

2) There's not a lot on the market aimed at Development

3) From 2.x to 3.x Wordpress dumped a ton of functions in favor of (usually) better ways of doing things. But, the 2.x junk that hasn't been depreciated is still floating around in many of the plugins / themes out there.

Anyway, for those 3 reasons I think it's best to just refer to the documentation. Read up on the loop first, then go from there.

Books to do what, exactly? Install it, manage it or develop for it? There are countless of documents and books out there touching every aspect of it. Google it.

I use a development server for all my WP-related work. I find it's much easier and more efficient to use a real environment rather than packages like XAMPP or WAMP.