Photo

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#16 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 February 2013 - 13:46

"Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform."

That statement doesn't completely make sense to me. Just because you have to have an internet connection doesn't necessarily have to mean there will be no second-hand market...those are two complete separate things. Maybe there will in fact be no second-hand game market but it won't ONLY be because your XBOX must be connected.

Badly worded article, the general consensus is you will have an activation code in the box like you do a PC game that will tie the game to your gamertag so youd have to be online for the security check to happen.

#17 SSSikora

SSSikora

Neowinian

Posted 06 February 2013 - 13:52

It says later

I saw that and it didn't sound to certain to me...

Oh well as others have said I don't buy or sell used games so this doesn't affect me much. I too understand how others would be upset though.

#18 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 06 February 2013 - 14:12

I really hope the requirement of an Internet connection (and the activation code) only applies to multiplayer games. The more I learn about the next-gen Xbox, the less excited I am.

#19 MidTxWRX

MidTxWRX

IT Professional

• Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 06 February 2013 - 14:18

No second hand market?

I STRONGLY doubt it.

I would be strongly surprised if they did such a thing. People would jump ship in a heartbeat, and/or they would find a way to hack the Xbox in order to play games. Microsoft would bend in the end.

#20 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 06 February 2013 - 14:27

No second hand market?

I STRONGLY doubt it.

I would be strongly surprised if they did such a thing. People would jump ship in a heartbeat, and/or they would find a way to hack the Xbox in order to play games. Microsoft would bend in the end.

I disagree with it too but I fear Microsoft will get away with it. And it might even encourage Sony to follow suit. Even with no second-hand game market, the next-gen Xbox will still be successful. The average console gamer will be happy to buy "the next best thing".

#21 lecter

lecter

Killboy Powerhead

Posted 06 February 2013 - 14:28

There is a simple way for the 2nd hand market blow to be softened and Steam has showed it: Sales. BIG Sales. Every game I've bought on Steam is "1st hand" and I've never paid more than 15 EUR for one...if they go for the approach described in the article, there is no way that every game will still always cost between 40-60 bucks.

#22 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 February 2013 - 14:28

No second hand market?

I STRONGLY doubt it.

It's the way the industry is heading, they've sewn the seeds by testing online passes this generation, there wasn't too much opposition now they are going full on with game passes.

There is a simple way for the 2nd hand market blow to be softened and Steam has showed it: Sales. BIG Sales. Every game I've bought on Steam is "1st hand" and I've never paid more than 15 EUR for one...if they go for the approach described in the article, there is no way that every game will still always cost between 40-60 bucks.

That will never happen, there's a reason why console games are more expensive, they have to pay Sony and Microsoft for the privilige of releasing the game on their consoles. That's why they are £10-15 more expensive than PC games RRP.

#23 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 February 2013 - 14:41

If they don't allow 2nd hand games they should cap the prices of games at £20, and have the average game priced at £10. Seems fair.

#24 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 06 February 2013 - 14:47

If they don't allow 2nd hand games they should cap the prices of games at £20, and have the average game priced at £10. Seems fair.

There is no way companies will reduce prices right off the bat. The market takes a long time to adjust to different consumer models, and so the default price for a game won't change any time soon. The only way it would change if there was a severe drop in sales, and it remained consistently low for months or years. Unfortunately, there will be enough ignorant people out there that will continue to buy games for their existing prices regardless of their actual value.

The biggest issue for me about the no second-hand games is that my brother and I always share our single-player games. All of those games will get played, completed, and then collect dust instead of going to someone else who would play it. Such a waste.

#25 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

Posted 06 February 2013 - 14:49

Sweet, can't wait.

#26 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17

Posted 06 February 2013 - 14:52

I don't own an Xbox, but if any console had to be always online it would be a deal breaker for me.

#27 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 06 February 2013 - 14:53

i simply cannot believe that MS (and possibly Sony) are going to kill the 2nd-hand market

Why not? Valve has done that on the PC with Steam. In some respects it's actually better for gamers, as because the developer / publisher gets a percentage of every sale (rather than getting nothing from second hand sales) games can actually be sold at a lower price. It's one of the reasons why Steam has such major sale events.

The issue is that Valve has a very good reputation when it comes to catering to gamers, while Microsoft has been a lot more ruthless and has a history of anti-competitive business practices. I simply don't trust Microsoft to implement this in a way that benefits gamers.

#28 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 06 February 2013 - 15:04

PC committed gamer from here on then... every time gaming is just.... getting more greedy, my money goes to steam (and second hand older games)

#29 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 06 February 2013 - 15:04

Will take this all with a HUGE grain of salt, but just playing pretend and commenting as if the rumors were indeed fact, I think I would very strongly consider not getting the next XBox. Easily 50% of the games I have played this generation were thanks to the second hand market, I use GameFly as a rental service. So not having the ability to play second hand games really is a very big deal breaker for me.

Also although I definitely used the 360 more the first couple of years this generation, for the past 2 years give or take I almost only use my PS3. I only have played Alan Wake, Black Ops 2, and Halo 4 on the 360. Everything else, and all of my movie watching etc., is done through the PS3. What it really comes down to for myself is I no longer game anywhere near what I used to,have finally realized that while owning both consoles is a privilege, and I am grateful for being able to do so, it is a bit silly since I hardly use either that much these days.

I still very well may purchase both consoles next generation, but if I do wind up only purchasing one, based on my experience this current generation, and these RUMORS thus far (in bold as just commenting on rumors, do not know if they are true), I would choose the PS4 if everything about both consoles we have heard so far winds up being true.

#30 MidTxWRX

MidTxWRX

IT Professional

• Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 06 February 2013 - 15:09

Well if they follow suit with what Steam is doing then I could see how it could work.

As long as games are not $40-50 each.

I mean, if you buy a used game, you'll be paying about $10-20 for it, right? If Microsoft sets the price standard at about $15 for all games, then less people would have to buy second hand games.

Unless they come out with some kind of subscription program for games, just like they have with Xbox Music.