I have a few questions first:
- Does an i5 significantly improve gaming over an i3?
- To what extent does the CPU affect gaming?
- Does a quad-core affect gaming or will it in the near future? Quad-core vs dual-core.
- Will an SSD do any good other than improve boot time and other things? I'd be mostly gaming.
Okay, from the guide...
1. I'll be starting from scratch so I would want to know what Graphic/Video card, CPU, RAM, MB, HDD, Case, Cooling I should buy.
Since I am going "budget", I guess it's going to be an AMD system.
Is the Radeon HD 7850 1 GB good for today's games and hopefully for the next ~5 years?
Do you reckon I go for an i3/i5/something AMD?
I think I'll go for 8 (4 x 2) GB RAM
I don't know much about Motherboards. Anything that will last in terms of compatibility and not become ancient anytime soon.
I think >=700 GB would do me good. Will adding an SSD make sense if I just really want to game?
2. My budget is around ~$1,100. Prices in India are higher so I have to keep that in mind as well.
I can stretch my budget a little bit if it's really necessary. ~INR 60,000
3. I'll be using my computer to play games in High. Games like AC:III, BF:3, Torchlight 2, Borderlands, etc.
I'll also be using it to watch MKV videos that do not work flawlessly on my current laptop. They are 720p videos. A little Photoshop, Picasa here and there. I listen to a lot of music so would adding a Sound Card do any good?
4. What is the standard gaming screen size? I will not be SLI/Crossfire-ing.
5. I'll be buying these components by the month of May or June.
6. As far as I know I will not be overclocking.
I don't need an optical drive but I guess a cheap DVD Burning/Reading thing won't hurt.
I don't care for 3D, Touch.
I am an audiophile.