600 hp BMW M8 arriving in 2016

600 hp BMW M8 arriving in 2016

12090101021788839598.jpg

artist rendering

Celebrating BMW's 100th birthday

BMW's flagship model is likely to receive the M8 moniker when it will come out in 2016, according to M division chief Friedrich Nitschke.

Developed to celebrate the brand's 100th anniversary, the M8 could share the carbon fiber and aluminum underpinnings of the i8 plug-in hybrid supercar. Instead of the i8's 3-cylinder 1.5-liter engine, the M8 is expected to feature a twin-turbo V8 producing approximately 600 hp (447 kW) which would allow the car to reach 62 mph (100 km/h) in 3 seconds and hit a top speed of about 200 mph (322 km/h).

The M8 could turn out to be a very light car taking into account the i8 weighs 1,480 kg (3,262 lbs), with 200 kg (440 lbs) of the weight having to do with the electric motor and batteries.

If Friedrich Nitschke will convince BMW chairman Norbert Reithofer to give the M8 the green light, most likely we'll get to see the car for the first time in 2015, before going on sale (probably in limited quantities) a year later.

It always makes me laugh how different BMWs concepts are to their actual releases. Ive worked on BMWs for 8 years now so quite up to date with everything they do, guaranteed the only likeliness to that picture will be the BMW badge :|

It always makes me laugh how different BMWs concepts are to their actual releases. Ive worked on BMWs for 8 years now so quite up to date with everything they do, guaranteed the only likeliness to that picture will be the BMW badge :|

Maybe you could give us a recent example when the production model turned out to be entirely different compared to its concept. From my observation, the German automakers are the most conservative in this regard.

Nevertheless, this is merely an artist's rendering and it is close to BMW's original. They've been showing this concept for quite a few years now. Little has changed. Just look for BMW i7 concept.

Not really that cool looking. Too from-the-future or something. And kind of fat. If it really takes off as M8, I'd take it as an insult against E31.

I'd like to see something along the lines of E31 revived with modern looks, though. Those cars are awesome, rare and unfairly forgotten.

isn't that the same for all concepts though? Pretty much all of the concepts ive seen have rarely gone into production as is and are drastically changed.

Not so much, Most of Audi's concepts make it to production with very little changed