Photo

Asahi: PlayStation 4 to be over 40,000 yen

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2013 - 13:32

I've got to buy all my games yet again? That just sucks.

Keep your PS3?

#17 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2013 - 13:41

only 10 days to find out about the ps4. It is plausible that sony coded a proper emulator so that it can play ps3 games, we shall see. Maybe games will be downloadable via their store which have been slightly changed to work on the ps4 and users can get them for free if they type the barcode off their ps3 game dvd case, who knows.

#18 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2013 - 13:52

I don't get why people are so outraged at not having backwards compatibility, other than the revisions of gameboy NIntendo home consoles have never had backwards compatibility up until the Wii, even the 3DS dropped the GBA port. Same for Sega for all their consoles. 360 only had limited backwards compatibility which they eventually dropped, same for PS3.

If you want to play old games, keep the old console.

There is pretty much zero chance of PS4 having conventional backwards compatibility, The CPU and GPU are very different and it's highly unlikely the x86-64 CPU would have the power to emulate the monster SPEs in the CELL, unless they accomplish it with Gakai technology.

#19 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 10 February 2013 - 14:18

I don't get why people are so outraged at not having backwards compatibility, other than the revisions of gameboy NIntendo home consoles have never had backwards compatibility up until the Wii, even the 3DS dropped the GBA port. Same for Sega for all their consoles. 360 only had limited backwards compatibility which they eventually dropped, same for PS3.

There is pretty much zero chance of PS4 having conventional backwards compatibility, The CPU and GPU are very different and it's highly unlikely the x86-64 CPU would have the power to emulate the monster SPEs in the CELL, unless they accomplish it with Gakai technology.

The PS2 had backwards compatibility for PS1 games. It was a selling point. Early versions of the PS3 had a PS2 chip for full BC. First revision had a modified chip that gave about 80% BC.

And the popularity of "HD Classics" coming out should also give you a hint that people like playing older games with good gameplay long after the console they were made for has broken or been sold off.

God of War Collection
God of War: Origins Collection (PSP games)
Ratchet & Clank
Silent Hill
Tomb Raider
Splinter Cell
Jak & Daxter
Metal Gear Solid
Devil May Cry
Hitman
Ico Collection
Sly Cooper Collection
Prince of Persia
Okami HD
Zone of the Enders Collection
Yakuza 1 & 2
Prince of Persia Collection

.......and more in the pipeline, like Final Fantasy X.

#20 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2013 - 15:07

What's your problem then, why play the old upscaled version of your game when you can buy a cut price HD remaster?

If you want to play the old games then keep your old console, if you have to sell your console to part finance the new console then that's your own fault.

#21 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:58

What's your problem then, why play the old upscaled version of your game when you can buy a cut price HD remaster?

If you want to play the old games then keep your old console, if you have to sell your console to part finance the new console then that's your own fault.

Old consoles break. Although my PS1 still works, both of my PS2's are down.

#22 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:12

Just out of curiosity, why shouldn't people expect the new consoles to be at least somewhat backwards compatible with last gen's games? I'm not asking to be an ass, I'm actually curious. I'm not really a console gamer and this is one of the biggest reasons for me. Why shell out $350+ for a console, build a game library (I'll use 50 games as a magic number) at $65 (between $60 and $70 to be fair) a pop/per game which equates to $3250, only to have to shell out another $350 when the next generation console comes out? Then build a library (another $3250, assuming prices haven't been jacked up due to something ridiculous like "pirating" Lol) again.

I will admit that the 360 and PS3 have had a fantastic and long life, where a lot of the cost can certainly be justified, but with the way other technologies such as tablets and cell phones are going, it's obvious people are looking for NEW NEW NEW a lot sooner than the current scheduling.

If the response is "There's no real reason other than it's a huge cashgrab and we're idiots for letting it happen, but we do!", I can appreciate that. It just all seems a little off to me.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!