The Woz: We've Fallen Behind in Smartphones

I am proud that we have such loyal fans. But this loyalty is not given, the need to have the best products is always there. Currently we are in my opinion somewhat behind with features in the smartphone business. Others have caught up. Samsung is a big competitor. But precisely because they are currently making great products.

More here: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/07/steve-wozniak-believes-apple-has-fallen-somewhat-behind-in-smartphones/

I'm really starting to like this guy. They should hire him back at Apple.

That's what happens when manufacturers are forced to adapt or potentially go out of the smartphone business. I'm glad companies like BlackBerry (formerly known as RIM), Samsung, and Nokia are doing their best to make great products. Apple changed the game back in 2007 and it's time for them to really try their best with the next iPhone.

I can't stand Apple but what "features" are they behind in?

The only thing I can think of is NFC, maybe wireless charging?

I know he mentioned a hardware vendor (i.e. Samsung, rather than Google/Android) but perhaps he's referring to software (iOS) rather than hardware features. I'd really like to see some sort of adaptation of Android's Defaults and Intents features in the next version of iOS more than anything else.

Woz is an engineer. He loves to tinker. So him loving a smartphone OS like Android is a no-brainer, if for no other reason than to dick around with it.

• Like 3

Woz is an engineer. He loves to tinker. So him loving a smartphone OS like Android is a no-brainer, if for no other reason than to dick around with it.

The Woz - Engineer

Jobs - Salesman

They needed each other, the rest is history.

I haven't read the article, so I'm not going to claim Woz said anything of what I'm about to say. This post is 100% my personal opinion.

I can't stand Apple but what "features" are they behind in?

The only thing I can think of is NFC, maybe wireless charging?

Their OS, while stable (relatively speaking) and fast (again, relatively speaking), reminds me more of a dumbphone OS. The home screen is bland, save for the subtle 3D effect of the app bar. There's no evidence, beyond the "widgets" in the notification bar, that you're running a smartphone OS when you look at the home screen of iOS.

Also, their year-on-year innovation is lacking, to put it politely. I have an iPhone 4 (which I got from eBay to have a usable phone as my Xperia arc degraded into uselessness to the point where it was unable to answer calls because the slider was unresponsive), and in March when it's time for me to upgrade, I have to ask myself: What's new in iPhone 5 to warrant me locking myself to it for 24 months?

As far as I know, the only things I would gain is the ability to talk to Siri (which, to me, is more of a gimmick that I would soon stop using) and an extra line of apps on my primary home screen. I do not play games on my phone, and while the extra half an inch is nice to have (that is what she said), if I am buying a new phone to improve my mobile browsing experience (which I am) then why would I settle for a 4" screen when I can buy a whalephone running Android?

LTE/4G & higher screen resolution is a moot point because I would gain both those things from buying an Android phone as well.

iOS 6 didn't even nudge the boat, much less rock it, in terms of providing a fresh look for iOS. Sure, "it doesn't need an UI refresh" you might say. That, like most things, is highly subjective. I definitely think that Widgets / Live Tiles are the future of mobile OSes (WP8 goes OTT with that concept though, IMO, which is one reason why I'm currently not considering a WP for my next purchase). I currently see no evidence that Apple is going to embrace this in a future update of iOS, considering the complete lack of visual changes found in iOS 6 vs. iOS 5.

I apologise if I have missed anything obvious with the iPhone 5 and thus come off as a troll, it is not my intention, and I would very much welcome any corrections on the subject :)

• Like 8

Apple leaped so far ahead of the competition when they released the iPhone. I would argue the 3Gs also was quite a jump.

Since then? More incremental changes... Which is fine if the other players weren't doing what apple used to do, innovating. I don't want to go so far as suggesting that every Android / WinPhone development is akin to the major leaps Apple makes when it makes them, but apple seems to have stopped making them, and they are smaller and smaller.

As such, apple are now playing catch up.

With that in mind, I have no idea where smartphones will go. I mean, we have reached a level - sure better batteries, faster connections, etc - but that's not innovation, it's refinement.

I am not sure what most people mean when they say "fall behind". What is behind exactly? For comparison, i tried out a new android for a week and hated it. i am not sure you can say "behind" when you are so far ahead in most areas.

Some points where Android is ahead:

Screen Size: Android

Widgets: Android

That's it from my view. In all other areas the iphone for me is just simply superior in the way that i use the phone. Auto-correct, menu flow, less-is-more feel, face-time (drastically better), battery life (in MOST cases), retina screen sharpness, app variety, app finish, app store, and on and on and on. If apple gave an option of a bigger screen i would love it to have a 4-5" screen. And maybe widget options. other then that, why do so many people say its "old", what will new do better?

Of course you hated it. You seem like a iPhone user from what you said. Changing from one OS to another always come with some discomfort.

I'm not gonna bother with the laundry list of areas you feel the iPhone is better on a case-by-case basis; some I agree on, some are simply preference.

I am not sure what most people mean when they say "fall behind". What is behind exactly? For comparison, i tried out a new android for a week and hated it. i am not sure you can say "behind" when you are so far ahead in most areas.

Some points where Android is ahead:

Screen Size: Android

Widgets: Android

That's it from my view. In all other areas the iphone for me is just simply superior in the way that i use the phone. Auto-correct, menu flow, less-is-more feel, face-time (drastically better), battery life (in MOST cases), retina screen sharpness, app variety, app finish, app store, and on and on and on. If apple gave an option of a bigger screen i would love it to have a 4-5" screen. And maybe widget options. other then that, why do so many people say its "old", what will new do better?

What are iOS superior over Android in?

You say Auto-Correct?

Have you tried some of the 3rd party keyboards from Play Store that is all customizable to fit your need best?

Menu-flow you say. Have you tried Android 4.2.1?

I would also say less is more boring. Things that can't do a damn thing gets really boring very fast.

FaceTime is alright, but only from iOS to iOS device witch means your very limited.

The battery life on my Samsung Galaxy Note are much much better than you ever would dream of getting off an iPhone when you take into consideration how much more a Galaxy Note can do over what an iPhone can do at the same time.

It doesn't really help to have a sharp retina screen when the screen are so small that you have to concentrate more on what you are seeing on the screen. I'll take a 5.3 inchscreen with 1280x800 in resolution witch is 285 DPI ANY day over a tiny 4 inch screen with 640 x 1136 pixels resolution (326 DPI). The differences in the DPI from 285 to 326 are not noticable before you you zoom into the screen with a powerfull magnifying glass.

The app variety is good on iOS, but the app finish isn't really that good in iOS, simply because the back button are placed all over the places with makes it irritating for alot of users. On stock Android on a Nexus 4 for example, then the back button are placed at one permanent place. Yeah you know what i'm talking about here.

Smoothness.

Simplicity.

Battery life.

Android is ahead in raw features, but I prefer the iOS experience.

Smoothness.

Simplicity.

Battery life.

Android is ahead in raw features, but I prefer the iOS experience.

Android 4.2.1 is as smooth or maybe smoother as iOS 6 is.

Simplicity is a good thing to some points, but when it gets way to simple like iOS is, then the OS rather gets really annoying and boring.

No iPhones beats my Galaxy Notes battery life. Or even a Galaxy Note 2 for that matter.

EDIT: This Norwegian guy have made this playlist witch explains all in good details why the user experience on iOS is REALLY bad and dull.

See it for your self. And i don't know anyone that have seen those videos that have claimed that the user experience is better on iOS over Android after watching them.

• Like 2

You say Auto-Correct?

Have you tried some of the 3rd party keyboards from Play Store that is all customizable to fit your need best?

Menu-flow you say. Have you tried Android 4.2.1?.

I did try a couple of the 3rd party ones, the thing for me that i was meaning is with my iphone, you don't need to hunt one down that works for you, the built in default for me works best. I don't like the largish keyboards that come with Andriods or the older winndows phones. Seems too cluttered (subjectively in my eyes). The version i had tried was ICS.

Simplicity is a good thing to some points, but when it gets way to simple like iOS is, then the OS rather gets really annoying and boring.

No iPhones beats my Galaxy Notes battery life. Or even a Galaxy Note 2 for that matter.

As someone whos used both, it's really not. The launcher might be smooth but the overall experience is better on IOS.

EDIT: This Norwegian guy have made this playlist witch explains all in good details why the user experience on iOS is REALLY bad and dull.

See it for your self. And i don't know anyone that have seen those videos that have claimed that the user experience is better on iOS over Android after watching them.

Instead of watching, some of us actually tried hands on. A lot of IOS users PREFER the less complicated and fancy way. We don't need to have her have blonde hair and big boobs. A brunette to some is more desirable. :)

I did try a couple of the 3rd party ones, the thing for me that i was meaning is with my iphone, you don't need to hunt one down that works for you, the built in default for me works best. I don't like the largish keyboards that come with Andriods or the older winndows phones. Seems too cluttered (subjectively in my eyes). The version i had tried was ICS.

Try Smart Keyboard Pro. It's customizable like hell. You can even set the Key height of the keyboard in portrait and landscape mode there.

Try it, you will love it.

Instead of watching, some of us actually tried hands on. A lot of IOS users PREFER the less complicated and fancy way. We don't need to have her have blonde hair and big boobs. A brunette to some is more desirable. :)

Anyone should watch those videos, because it tells the truth. And you can't even deny my words before you have seen it your self.

Watch them and come back and tell me exactly where the user experience on iOS is better than Android.

What you see from your own experience don't change the fact about the user experience in Android that is explained good in the videos in that playlist.

I've always said that iPhone is for folks that find smartphones complicated. Thanks for confirming my thoughts :)

• Like 2

As someone whos used both, it's really not. The launcher might be smooth but the overall experience is better on IOS.

Where is the user experience better in iOS over Android?

Explain what makes is so much better in iOS over Android?

Just because Android can lag some very few times doesn't make the total user experience worser in Android just because of that.

I have an iPhone 5, an iPad 2 and a Nexus 7. I previously had a Galaxy S3 which I gave to my fiance?. iOS is a lot smoother than Android. It is most noticeable when scrolling, zooming and panning around.

The Note 2's battery is like twice the size of the iPhone's so it's hardly surprising battery life is superior. If you compare a phone with a battery roughly the same capacity as the iPhone battery, you will find that iOS uses less power. I think this is probably because of the limited multitasking and the control that Apple has over the software.

I've used both operating systems extensively. I had a HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S2, S3 and now an iPhone 5. Also have a Nexus 7 and iPad 2.

I prefer iOS. Sure, there are some cool features in Android but none that I really miss. I'd rather have a smooth experience and decent battery life. I can leave everything on on my iPhone (Bluetooth, WiFi, etc) and it doesn't really affect battery life much, whereas I used to have to enable/disable things when required on Android. I actually invested in NFC Tags and Tasker to simplify the process of toggling settings, but I don't have to do any of that on iOS. "It just works" springs to mind, although that is a cheesy marketing slogan :p

I have an iPhone 5, an iPad 2 and a Nexus 7. I previously had a Galaxy S3 which I gave to my fiance?. iOS is a lot smoother than Android. It is most noticeable when scrolling, zooming and panning around.

The Note 2's battery is like twice the size of the iPhone's so it's hardly surprising battery life is superior. If you compare a phone with a battery roughly the same capacity as the iPhone battery, you will find that iOS uses less power. I think this is probably because of the limited multitasking and the control that Apple has over the software.

Again, way to limited. If you want to use your battery up in 2 hours, you should be able to do it.

My battery time can lasts for ages on my Galaxy Note, but if i want, i can drain the battery in like 2 hours if i want. You can do the same on laptops. It's all up to you to choose what you want to do.

Oh also, i'll guess you see the reason why we also want more bigger phones?

Because the bigger the phone is, the bigger battery you can fit. Witch makes good battery times. Witch makes it good.