The Woz: We've Fallen Behind in Smartphones

To the first thing. Most peoples that prefers iOS over Android no matter what have a reason behind it, and that reason is that those users already have other Apple products. They don't use iOS then because iOS is better as an OS than Android, but they use it because of the whole package with different Apple devices connected together.

But the same type of connectivity is something i can get with my Samsung Galaxy Note. If you have a Galaxy Note, then you are completely free to use whatever TV or device that have DLNA with the phone.

And to the last thing. About 95% of every iOS users i know will NEVER EVER say a specific feature is any good before Apple starts to use it and says it's a good feature. It's the fact and this will never change i'm afraid.

We Android guys was saying for many years that a Notification Bar is awesome. Every iOS users was denying that at all costs for some years and told us that no one would ever use that. Then Suddenly, Apple stole / ripped off Android's notification bar one day and totally dumbed it down and released it in the next iOS release. About EVERY iOS users was praising Apple for that minutes after they released it and told that the notification bar was such a great idea.

You see why alot of us gets rather mad at some Apple users?

The integration with other Apple products is PART OF iOS. If people like iOS better because it works well with their Mac/iPad/other device, they still like iOS better.

The notification bar being added to iOS is one of the main reasons I decided to give it another shot (having had the first iPhone and got rid of it due to the overwhelming amount of missing features). Again, I would ask if you have actually seen the SAME people say they hate a feature and then praise it.

If persons A, B and C say they hate a feature and then persons X, Y and Z praise the feature when it's added, persons A, B and C will probably still hate it.

I would ask if you have actually seen the SAME people say they hate a feature and then praise it.

Didn't i just say that in my earlier post about the notification bar?

Those who was using iOS before it got the notification bar was totally against it before Apple gave it to iOS, because they didn't see the use of it. Right after Apple actually gave the iOS users a notification bar (that we had been saying for years that is a good thing to have), then it suddenly was usefull in an instant.

Pretty much every iOS users i know is like this.

Why didn't they see a notification bar as usefull before Apple gave it to the iOS users?

:huh:Are you saying that the points I made about iOS are what people who prefer iOS actually wants?

Yes, sorry, sometimes I find it difficult to articualate a good sentence and lose meaning in the translation from brain to typing

Yes, sorry, sometimes I find it difficult to articualate a good sentence and lose meaning in the translation from brain to typing

I feels ya on that :)

I can definitely see that, sometimes it's better to have a simpler phone that works, than a customisable one that doesn't. I don't think I'll be frequenting XDA when I get my Xperia Z, while it's a good resource it's a lot of hassle to actually get the useful info from all the drivel posted in broken English :p

Didn't i just say that in my earlier post about the notification bar?

Those who was using iOS before it got the notification bar was totally against it before Apple gave it to iOS, because they didn't see the use of it. Right after Apple actually gave the iOS users a notification bar (that we had been saying for years that is a good thing to have), then it suddenly was usefull in an instant.

Pretty much every iOS users i know is like this.

Why didn't they see a notification bar as usefull before Apple gave it to the iOS users?

Dunno, I can't speak for them.

I like some features from Android (open sharing API being the main one) and would like them to be implemented in iOS...so not everyone is like that. :)

if by "this guy" you mean me, It was a Galaxy S2x, dual 1.5, 1 gig ram, 4.5" screen, ICS. From the way Android posters seem to insinuate, why is preference now a such a huge problem with you guys? Does it really matter to you also if one prefers Ford>Chevy, HP>Dell, Colt>Smith & Wesson, Vodka>Wisky, Blondes>Bruneets, Asians>White etc etc...

Choice doesn't matter to me. I was just taking a guess. Use what you like. None the less, iOS is a very good platform. Debates like this have been raging forever. ATI vs NVIDIA , Intel vs AMD vs Cyrix, ect. It's nothing personal against you, it's just how the internet is.

Oh and by the way: Latina woman > white woman :D

And my 2005 Dell laptop works just as well today as it did when I purchased it 8 years ago. My main desktop computer is from 2007/2008. My tablet pc is from 2008. All working fine and running Windows 8.

The difference? My 2005 laptop is still supported by Microsoft. Your 2006 and 2007 Apple computers? Support dropped. No Mountain Lion for you.

I know its a total shame they can only run the same OS's your dell can run now, plus all intel-based OSX up to Mountain Lion :(

My life choices lies in the outside world. For me a phone is just a tool. I need it to be practical.

You do realize you are arguing with username Exynos; a name representing the ARM processor dedicated to running Android in Samsung handsets.

You do realize you are arguing with username Exynos; a name representing the ARM processor dedicated to running Android in Samsung handsets.

Not really, I never investigate those things. I find quite troublesome that someone would choose a piece of branding as its virtual persona, but it his life.

I didn't know that either. i guess some identify themselves with products they use. Imagine the fun he would poke at someone named IOSomething. Sad way to be, but, in the end, his choice.

I didn't know that either. i guess some identify themselves with products they use. Imagine the fun he would poke at someone named IOSomething. Sad way to be, but, in the end, his choice.

Kinda. It'd be more like A5X or retina or something.. iOS is the software it runs, so not quite the same.

Not really, I never investigate those things. I find quite troublesome that someone would choose a piece of branding as its virtual persona, but it his life.

I just remember it from checking out specs in android phones/tablets in the past... Its fairly unique in its spelling, and every damn samsung I seen had one. Good processor though all things considered.

You know that we have ARM in Norway (Trondheim) to?

Infact, i use alot of Samsung products. And one of the products are the 9-series laptop from Samsung as you can see on my portrait. It's a really nice laptop.

But again, this topic is about smartphones. So it's just crazy on how much more stuffs we can do on a Samsung Galaxy Note compared to what we can do on an iPhone. Samsung Galaxy Note makes the iPhone to looks like a bath toy in that comparsion.

No shock there. I thought iOS was boring and dated when I tried it 3 years ago on an iPod touch. Apart from small gimmicks like Siri iOS seems to be stagnating at the moment.

The way I see it is it's pretty pathetic to have to jailbreak an iphone to get it to do some of the things an android phone can. You pay more for the iphone as well.

To be more exact about the jailbreaking thing remixedcat, then you actually have to jailbreak an iPhone and then lose the warranty on it to get more good features like you have on a pure stock Android ROM. But even then, iOS still have alot of things it misses compared to Android even after iOS have been jailbroken.

just wanna ask any iphone users what they think of the rumored 5 inch iphone 6?

Seems ridiculously big. It's not for me. Hopefully there will always be the choice of a smaller phone, if this thing ever gets released. Of course, I feel like they shouldn't have increased the display size for the iPhone 5 either. As far as I'm concerned, they had already found the optimal display size with the original iPhone, both in terms of looks as well as handling. Then again, I have small hands.

Each to their own. I've used plenty of different android devices, but none of them were up my alley. Same can be said about WP8 as well. Always tend to come back to iOS...

I'm very happy that the competition is there though, a stagnating market with any company having a monopoly would just have the consumer on the loosing side.

Can't really understand the people who's getting their knickers in a twist over who's using what product......

Each to their own. I've used plenty of different android devices, but none of them were up my alley. Same can be said about WP8 as well. Always tend to come back to iOS...

I'm very happy that the competition is there though, a stagnating market with any company having a monopoly would just have the consumer on the loosing side.

Can't really understanding the people who's getting their knickers in a twist over who's using what product......

IOS aren't allowed to be happy in this thread of neowin... Android Religion only apparently. If you say you like IOS more, you are lying, stupid, , a sheep, or under an evil spell. /s (some kids, gheesh)

You know that we have ARM in Norway (Trondheim) to?

Infact, i use alot of Samsung products. And one of the products are the 9-series laptop from Samsung as you can see on my portrait. It's a really nice laptop.

But again, this topic is about smartphones. So it's just crazy on how much more stuffs we can do on a Samsung Galaxy Note compared to what we can do on an iPhone. Samsung Galaxy Note makes the iPhone to looks like a bath toy in that comparsion.

There are things you can do on the iPhone that you can't do on Android, like set location reminders. I can say to Siri "remind me to buy milk when I leave work" and it will do.

Another example is that most music/radio apps can be controlled from the multitasking bar, so I can put the radio on, background that app, go do something else in another app and then control the radio without leaving the app I'm in.

So, again, it all comes down to preference as to what the individual wants, and trying to convince anybody that either OS is better is silly.

Seems ridiculously big. It's not for me. Hopefully there will always be the choice of a smaller phone, if this thing ever gets released. Of course, I feel like they shouldn't have increased the display size for the iPhone 5 either. As far as I'm concerned, they had already found the optimal display size with the original iPhone, both in terms of looks as well as handling. Then again, I have small hands.

just asking 'coz apple originally blasted the idea of making bigger sizes than the original but seems they're changing their minds starting with a small increase of size with the iphone 5. i am now on a note 2 which is the first phone device i bought bigger than the original iphone/ipod (i owned the original iphone, 3gs, iphone 4 and ipod 2nd gen) and being used to the smaller dimensions i was at first apprehensive to buy a significantly bigger device so i first tested if it would fit in my jeans and shirt pocket which it actually did so i went ahead with the purchase. after the first week i got comfortable with it and now two months in i absolutely love it and whenever i use my old ipod touch it seems so tiny in my hands, lol.

for me the experience going from ipod/iphone to the note 2 was like going through withdrawal symptoms wherein i was constantly trying to find the same experience and familiarity of iOS in my note 2 but after a few days you begin to find alternative ways, apps (some better, some inferior) and new things to fill the void.

the thing that made me think of jumping ship began on october 2011 if i remember correctly, is that jailbreaking iOS devices became more difficult and you had to wait for months before you can update to the latest firmware and by the time jailbreak became available a new fw is on the way. also, carrier unlocking hasn't been achieved for almost a year now.

ios, android, wp8 each has it's own advantages and disadvantages there's no clear winner except in the eyes of the user.

There are things you can do on the iPhone that you can't do on Android, like set location reminders. I can say to Siri "remind me to buy milk when I leave work" and it will do.

Another example is that most music/radio apps can be controlled from the multitasking bar, so I can put the radio on, background that app, go do something else in another app and then control the radio without leaving the app I'm in.

So, again, it all comes down to preference as to what the individual wants, and trying to convince anybody that either OS is better is silly.

Sorry, I think I missed something... you can set reminders in samsung voice, and run media in background.......

(Just for the record, I have stated that I have no problem with IOS devices.., just not my cup of tea)