The Woz: We've Fallen Behind in Smartphones

If features aren't relevant to users, why do you think smartphones are so popular?

Apps.

I assumed you were talking about features of and options presented in the OS itself, not of applications running on the OS? Because the app ecosystem is hardly superior on Android, never mind that being "an empirical fact".

Matter of opinion. iOS users make the claim that Android apps are all crap, but in reality I find just as many if not more useless apps on Apple's store. The vast majority of the Android applications I have used have behaved just fine, in fact the iPod touch I used to own seemed to crash far more often than apps did on the Android phone I had at the time (HTC Desire).

If features aren't relevant to users, why do you think smartphones are so popular?

We could have different definitions of trolling, you have used it before like you are using now, but i don't see it as trolling. Sorry.

There is a point to where features stop being actually useful. For me, I believe my preference for IOS is because its my nature to be a minimalist. Just like my house, i don't have stuff just sitting on shelves for decoration. For me to have it, it has to have a purpose,and that purpose would be something why i have it. If I don't use it, then I don't need it. All of Androids hundreds of different settings FOR ME have no purpose. If Android could CLONE the IOS UI flow, UI look, UI feel, facetime, then yes, I would buy an Andriord. I would love to have the bigger screen. i believe both are equal in terms of quality. To me it wouldn't matter what i would use if the interface was the same.

Matter of opinion. iOS users make the claim that Android apps are all crap, but in reality I find just as many if not more useless apps on Apple's store. The vast majority of the Android applications I have used have behaved just fine, in fact the iPod touch I used to own seemed to crash far more often than apps did on the Android phone I had at the time (HTC Desire).

actually on this part i will disagree with you. I have both sitting in front of me. ICS on a galaxy s2x and iphone 4. The apps that i use, yes the IOS ones are defiantly more "finished"

Yeah, accusing me of being a mindless Google fan is trolling, sorry. And the whole point of Android is that it is Android. And the whole point of technology is that we offer products to suit everyone's needs. If you want to buy Apple products simply because the UI animations are a bit flashy and that it feels faster because it lacks advanced functionality, then as far as I'm concerned living with things like the smaller screen size is your problem not mine. I buy Android specifically because I don't want watered down crapware. Have a problem with the size of the iPhone's screen? complain to Apple rather than blaming Google for not dumbing down their product.

We could have different definitions of trolling, you have used it before like you are using now, but i don't see it as trolling. Sorry.

There is a point to where features stop being actually useful. For me, I believe my preference for IOS is because its my nature to be a minimalist. Just like my house, i don't have stuff just sitting on shelves for decoration. For me to have it, it has to have a purpose,and that purpose would be something why i have it. If I don't use it, then I don't need it. All of Androids hundreds of different settings FOR ME have no purpose. If Android could CLONE the IOS UI flow, UI look, UI feel, facetime, then yes, I would buy an Andriord. I would love to have the bigger screen. i believe both are equal in terms of quality. To me it wouldn't matter what i would use if the interface was the same.

actually on this part i will disagree with you. I have both sitting in front of me. ICS on a galaxy s2x and iphone 4. The apps that i use, yes the IOS ones are defiantly more "finished"

Witch features are useless if you look at Samsung Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II?

Do you want iOS looks in Android?

No problem if you really like that kind of rainbow heaven colors: https://play.google....e=search_result

Facetime you say?

Tried something like this that isn't just limited to iOS devices?: https://play.google....S5yYWlkZXIiXQ..

Profit?

Witch features are useless if you look at Samsung Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II?

Do you want iOS looks in Android?

No problem if you really like that kind of rainbow heaven colors: https://play.google....e=search_result

And you can make Linux look like Windows or make Windows look like a Mac. That doesn't turn them into Windows or make them a Mac. Neither does some Android skin turn it into iOS. Come on now. Get real... :rolleyes:

And you can make Linux look like Windows or make Windows look like a Mac. That doesn't turn them into Windows or make them a Mac. Neither does some Android skin turn it into iOS. Come on now. Get real... :rolleyes:

Question is, what is it with iOS apps that are so much better than the Android apps?

Android doesn't confuse peoples by having the back button places all over the places at random places like iOS apps does.

So that's one good reason to use Android over iOS.

Does iOS gives you the choices to use another SMS application over the stock one in iOS?

They don't. Thus you miss the ability to install awesome SMS apps like this like we have on Android: https://play.google....e=search_result

And don't even try to tell us that the stock SMS app in iOS or even Android is better than the SMS app i linked to over. This is the power of Android, you can choose something better that fits you better. The stock SMS app in iOS might work good for you, but don't come with the lie that there doesn't exist other SMS apps that will fit you much better. Because you can't try out another SMS app in iOS, so you can't say other SMS apps wont be better. It's that simple.

EDIT: Apple tends to call their stuffs magical. Question is, WHAT is magical with their iOS devices?

If you really want to see some really good magic, then look at this.

Question is, what is it with iOS apps that are so much better than the Android apps?

I'm not going to try to convince you that they are. It's totally fine with me if you don't find them superior. Some of us are of a different opinion. There's really no need to convince the "other side". Like I said, enjoy what you have or take other options for a spin and then choose whichever you like best.

The guy posted saying he'd use Android if something could be provided somewhat analogous to iOS and I've given him an option. I never claimed it was the same as iOS so please quit the trolling.

I'm an Android user and I think almost all iOS apps look and work much better than their Android counterparts. However, the fact that developers in Android have much more freedom and because of that apps can actually provide more options and do more means that I personally prefer Android.

The guy posted saying he'd use Android if something could be provided somewhat analogous to iOS and I've given him an option. I never claimed it was the same as iOS so please quit the trolling.

You see trolls everywhere, huh? I didn't even reply to your post.

I think almost all iOS apps look and work much better than their Android counterparts

In witch ways?

EDIT: Just to take a good example. Do you think the stock SMS app in iOS looks and works better than this SMS app to Android?

No it doesn't, not even by a mile.

Do you see why this is getting really ridiculous when you can't even change a simple thing like an SMS app in iOS?

lol, the "troll" word again.

Facetime you say?

Tried something like this that isn't just limited to iOS devices?: https://play.google....S5yYWlkZXIiXQ..

I have BOTH devices in front of me. On each of them tried video test (on separate occasions too) with Skype, Google hangouts, Yahoo, and of course Facetime on the iPhone with another person using Ipod touch.. With each single test of each phone with EACH program, (obviously not facetime with the Galaxy) facetime is VERY much better, not just a bit better but DRASTICALLY better with VIDEO and SOUND.

This would not be the end all be all deciding factor. Just one of the many for me.

In witch ways?

EDIT: Just to take a good example. Do you think the stock SMS app in iOS looks and works better than this SMS app to Android?

Do you see why this is getting really ridiculous when you can't even change a simple thing like an SMS app in iOS?

the stock messaging app on IOS works perfect for me. I don't recall in your previous posts, have you owned a iPhone?

I have BOTH devices in front of me. On each of them tried video test (on separate occasions too) with Skype, Google hangouts, Yahoo, and of course Facetime on the iPhone with another person using Ipod touch.. With each single test of each phone with EACH program, (obviously not facetime with the Galaxy) facetime is VERY much better, not just a bit better but DRASTICALLY better with VIDEO and SOUND.

This would not be the end all be all deciding factor. Just one of the many for me.

Maybe you should try out a phone like a Galaxy S III or Galaxy Note / Note II witch have a much much better front camera (2 Mpix on Galaxy Note and 1.9 Mpix on Galaxy S III and Note II) than the loltastic (1.2 Mpix) front camera the iPhone 5 have?

The sound quality on the Galaxy S III and Note / Note II is all fine. But then, a videocall is all about the video and video quality and not about the sound quality.

Given that Facetime still only even works over Wifi, i'd call it more of a gimmick than a feature. Call me back when Apple let you make calls over 3G without having to jailbreak the phone.

Maybe you should try out a phone like a Galaxy S III or Galaxy Note / Note II witch have a much much better front camera (2 Mpix on Galaxy Note and 1.9 Mpix on Galaxy S III and Note II) than the loltastic (1.2 Mpix) front camera the iPhone 5 have?

The sound quality on the Galaxy S III and Note / Note II is all fine. But then, a videocall is all about the video and video quality and not about the sound quality.

While I do agree that the video quality would improve with a better quality camera, the ratios should still be the same considering the test was done over 2 devices with same results. Aside clearer image, facetime was also less choppy. Not sure if its because of a more efficient codec? And when I stated sound I should have said more specifically said microphone input. Vocals were much clearer and cleaner. I remind you this is done on a 2 year old iphone 4, not a 4s.

Given that Facetime still only even works over Wifi, i'd call it more of a gimmick than a feature. Call me back when Apple let you make calls over 3G without having to jailbreak the phone.

You still have the option of using a lesser capable video program like skype, yahoo, or google+ while not in wifi range. The good news is when you do get into wifi zone, you do have the option to utilize the higher quality of facetime.

While I do agree that the video quality would improve with a better quality camera, the ratios should still be the same considering the test was done over 2 devices with same results. Aside clearer image, facetime was also less choppy. Not sure if its because of a more efficient codec? And when I stated sound I should have said more specifically said microphone input. Vocals were much clearer and cleaner. I remind you this is done on a 2 year old iphone 4, not a 4s.

Again, have you tried the iPhone over Facetime and compared it to the quality you get with a Galaxy S III or Galaxy Note / Note II?

If not, then you have no reasons to say Facetime is better at anything.

Well if you use it that's fair enough. I don't, in fact I hate video calling full stop :p

In witch ways?

I do prefer the iOS app here actually. I'm not a fan of Holo at all, I think it's too bland in many areas and the Tron colours aren't very professional. This is why I personally strongly prefer Sony's skin on Android over everything else. They manage to theme Android in a way that makes it look like an incredibly mature and good looking operating system.

Sony's design strategy is a bit of a mix between Google's and iOS, they call it dynamic minimalism. They did a lot of research to find out what their users do most on their smartphones. Then they design a very minimal interface that caters just to those most important needs. Then they add on extra functionality, but only if they can do it in a way to preserve the minimalism and quality of design of the basic version. This worked out really well and gives you a user interface that looks extremely clean, but once you enter the menus or long-press things gets extremely powerful. Google's apps (and most others on Android) lack in the 'retaining minimalism' department. iOS lacks in the adding powerful functionality department.

Look at the screenshots I just uploaded in this album. You have a very simple basic app view, but long-press on something or hit the menu button and you get a lot of very powerful features that don't exist in many applications. For the Walkman app that includes proper play queue management, full DLNA, automatic album art, equalizer, ... For the Gallery that means a very minimal basic UI, thumbnail scaling with full freedom, rich sharing and editing, proper folder management, ...

This is how I like my UI's and this is something only Android can provide right now: a good, clean UI with a lot of power when you need it. More and more apps are getting designed like this and I love it!