Photo

The Woz: We've Fallen Behind in Smartphones

apple iphone

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#61 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 21,013 posts
  • Phone: An awesome Moto X for $150 off contract.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 23:13

Gotcha, what worked in 2007 is perfect for 2013.

For me it is. I never said it was the best industrial design for everyone. Or did I? :)

Design taste is totally a personal choice. I love the iPhone 5 looks and feel, but you will never see me saying it's the best. Or should I only like Android phones? (Because I also think the HTC ONE X looks marvelous).

Why are you so confrontative with other's choices?

#62 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

• 1,014 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 23:37

For me it is. I never said it was the best industrial design for everyone. Or did I? :)

Design taste is totally a personal choice. I love the iPhone 5 looks and feel, but you will never see me saying it's the best. Or should I only like Android phones? (Because I also think the HTC ONE X looks marvelous).

Why are you so confrontative with other's choices?

You should like what you want to, don't let some retard like me on an internet forum change your perspective. I hate iOS for a cell OS, while my girlfriend is about to purchase a new iPhone 5...
I personally use both a lot, nearly every day over a few different devices (ipad, ipod, nexus and iconia). So to each their own. iOS is consistent across EVERYTHING, pads, pods, tablets, even OSX is getting close. My SGSII, nexus 7 and Acer Iconia, while all running android, all operate COMPLETELY different while still being somewhat similar.

In my humble little bubble of a world every phone would run android OS and every tablet would run iOS. and every computer would be running a linux kernel. Thats just me, thats whats reliable and functional and works for me. Im also incredibly frugal. I dont like spending $800 on a 6x3 inch piece of metal I'm likely to break or lose. my $250 SGSII outright is a much better option. I can replace it 3 times and still be on top.
I like how many devs on android offer free side-load apps on their development blog, while their play listing costs money... Things like that, the flexibility. It comes at a price though. Learning curve for android is likely as steep as it was for linux.

I personally find iOS to be ridiculously expensive for its featureset these days. In 2007 it was the absolute best bang for your dollar. These days android has superseeded it in flexibility, windows in performance. If it weren't for jailbreaking to allow SBsettings, XBMC, barrel, quick-toggles, and the many more talented 'under the table' iOS devs, there would be no way I would ever touch iOS again.

my 2006 macbook and 2007 mac mini which hardly ever see any downtime are working as good today as the day I bought them from the apple reseller. Very few people can say that about any computer.

#63 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 23:38

Just because iOS works good for you out of the box, it doesn't mean it will be the same for MANY others. You will still be able to get a much better results if you set up an Android phone. No brands knows what's the best way for it's users to use their phones. It's only you that knows that.

isn't that what i just said with IOS? and no, I don't want to set up Android phone. Been there, done that, hassle, no thanks. You can tell me all day long that being left handed is better, but in the end, if I am right handed, I will not teach myself to be left handed just to please the masses of Android users. From what i been seeing in the last year, here on neowin shifted from apple worship (allegedly) to android worship, my goodness, its just a phone, get out and enjoy life a bit more LOL

#64 Exynos

Exynos

Android, Samsung & Windows expert

• 540 posts
  • OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-bit) on my Samsung 9-series (NP900X4C-A01SE) laptop.
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505).

Posted 07 February 2013 - 23:47

isn't that what i just said with IOS? and no, I don't want to set up Andriod phone. Been there, done that, hassle, no thanks.

Then you will agree that Android will be better for your daily usage if you set it up your way instead of using it out of the box.

It takes anyone with some braincells to figure out how to add a lil widget. If peoples have problems to learn those simple steps, then i'm afraid the problem isn't Android, but the user. And those users isn't normal then.

ANY users who have the ability to use a normal computer. Doesn't matter if it's Windows, Mac OSX or Linux, they WILL have the understanding on how to use an Android device easily then.

#65 vetsanctified

sanctified

• 21,013 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 23:48

You should like what you want to, don't let some retard like me on an internet forum change your perspective. I hate iOS for a cell OS, while my girlfriend is about to purchase a new iPhone 5...
I personally use both a lot, nearly every day over a few different devices (ipad, ipod, nexus and iconia). So to each their own. iOS is consistent across EVERYTHING, pads, pods, tablets, even OSX is getting close. My SGSII, nexus 7 and Acer Iconia, while all running android, all operate COMPLETELY different while still being somewhat similar.

In my humble little bubble of a world every phone would run android OS and every tablet would run iOS. and every computer would be running a linux kernel. Thats just me, thats whats reliable and functional and works for me. Im also incredibly frugal. I dont like spending $800 on a 6x3 inch piece of metal I'm likely to break or lose. my $250 SGSII outright is a much better option. I can replace it 3 times and still be on top.
I like how many devs on android offer free side-load apps on their development blog, while their play listing costs money... Things like that, the flexibility. It comes at a price though. Learning curve for android is likely as steep as it was for linux.

I personally find iOS to be ridiculously expensive for its featureset these days. In 2007 it was the absolute best bang for your dollar. These days android has superseeded it in flexibility, windows in performance. If it weren't for jailbreaking to allow SBsettings, XBMC, barrel, quick-toggles, and the many more talented 'under the table' iOS devs, there would be no way I would ever touch iOS again.

my 2006 macbook and 2007 mac mini which hardly ever see any downtime are working as good today as the day I bought them from the apple reseller. Very few people can say that about any computer.

And I respect that.

I really wish for a computing standard based on the GNU/Linux kernel and logistics but with the OS X aesthetics (Darwin is not enough). I really wish to stop depending on some closed source app suites and addons. However and cant deny their value.

#66 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 23:55

Then you will agree that Android will be better for your daily usage if you set it up your way instead of using it out of the box.

no, i will not agree to that. I tried it, didn't like it. Had it set up the way i want and STILL did not like it. Earlier today i had some Jehovah's stop by, this reminds me a lot of that situation.

#67 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,686 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 07 February 2013 - 23:59

I love Windows Phone.

#68 vetsanctified

sanctified

• 21,013 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:03

I love Windows Phone.

It's lovable indeed. I had an LG Black using WP 7.5

Awesome phone. too bad someone stole it :/

#69 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• 4,219 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:05

And my 2005 Dell laptop works just as well today as it did when I purchased it 8 years ago. My main desktop computer is from 2007/2008. My tablet pc is from 2008. All working fine and running Windows 8.

The difference? My 2005 laptop is still supported by Microsoft. Your 2006 and 2007 Apple computers? Support dropped. No Mountain Lion for you.

#70 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,390 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:06

My 2005 laptop is still supported by Microsoft.

Out of curiosity, how well does Windows 8 run on that?

#71 Exynos

Exynos

• 540 posts
  • OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-bit) on my Samsung 9-series (NP900X4C-A01SE) laptop.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:18

no, i will not agree to that. I tried it, didn't like it. Had it set up the way i want and STILL did not like it. Earlier today i had some Jehovah's stop by, this reminds me a lot of that situation.

Just because YOU didn't like it doesn't mean Android wont be better by setting it up your way.

Out of curiosity, how well does Windows 8 run on that?

It runs as good as it runs Windows XP on it.

#72 vetsanctified

sanctified

• 21,013 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:19

Just because YOU didn't like it doesn't mean Android wont be better by setting it up your way.

What if iOS is just his way?

Yes, is possible, if he says he had used Android and customized it then you have to give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

#73 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,390 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:19

It runs as good as it runs Windows XP on it.

You two share the same laptop?

#74 Exynos

Exynos

• 540 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:37

What if iOS is just his way?

Yes, is possible, if he says he had used Android and customized it then you have to give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

Then he is lucky.

You two share the same laptop?

Have you seen the specs Windows 8 nees to run good?

A computer from 2005 would have no problems with that.

#75 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:46

The Woz is right. Apple has lost the edge. The old man died and nothing has been the same. They seem to have lost track of what they are doing. They don't know right from left. They are out of new ideas and innovations and it shows. The Woz should return to Apple as a consultant to help them out before they really sink the ship.