nasa exoplanet kepler space telescope goldilocks zone science

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,816 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 21:56

But I understand, any scientist that even thinks intelligent life exists anywhere else in this universe loses all credibility. Still an interesting read tho.

What on Earth gave you that idea?

I love you both. I've just dealt with so many people on here that think I'm a nut because I believe in like elsewhere. Glad to see that there are other rational people that understand the statistical impossibility that we are the only ones.

I don't think anyone considers you a nut for simply believing in life elsewhere. Though Some folks may consider you a nut for all the UFO stories you eat up... & get upset when others desregard them

It's quite remarkable how much you misrepresent yourself here.

#17 C-Squarez

C-Squarez

ARE YOU IN THAT MOOD YET?!?!

• 5,169 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 21:59

No just the ones that claim they flew billions of miles from another star system... and crashlanded in America.

I probably shouldn't do this but...

How old is the nearest Earth like planet? I don't know either. The point is, have you ever considered that maybe a planet exists that is way more advanced than we are? Say they had a 4 billion year head start, still think that kinda travel is impossible? We talk about the possibilities of worm hole travel, who says they haven't figured it out? Just asking...

#18 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,152 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 22:06

I probably shouldn't do this but...

How old is the nearest Earth like planet? I don't know either. The point is, have you ever considered that maybe a planet exists that is way more advanced than we are? Say they had a 4 billion year head start, still think that kinda travel is impossible? We talk about the possibilities of worm hole travel, who says they haven't figured it out? Just asking...

I for one am not sure I'd want to see a race that was advanced enough for a trip like that - 4 billion years ago. If that race hasn't died off by some incident, then zomg the technology they would NOW have.

#19 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,208 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 22:37

But I understand, any scientist that even thinks intelligent life exists anywhere else in this universe loses all credibility. Still an interesting read tho.

Many very credible scientists out there think life exists beyond Earth, no credible scientist will say that we have evidence of that life, huge difference.

#20 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• 12,870 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 23:44

Threads Merged

#21 C-Squarez

C-Squarez

• 5,169 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:16

What on Earth gave you that idea?

I don't think anyone considers you a nut for simply believing in life elsewhere. Though Some folks may consider you a nut for all the UFO stories you eat up... & get upset when others desregard them

It's quite remarkable how much you misrepresent yourself here.

What's funny is, I don't misrepresent myself at all. People are just way too quick to judge and ridicule. I don't eat up every UFO story so we can skip past that. The only UFO stories I have ever taken seriously are ones that can't be easily dismissed. Now if intelligent life exists and have visited planet Earth before which many people believe, how did they get here? Anything I post up has merit but as I said too many are too quick to ridicule and judge without any grounds for their attacks. When I do post about UFO's I post quotes from credible sources. Maybe I AM crazy because I don't understand how any rational person can't grasp something so simple.

#22 C-Squarez

C-Squarez

• 5,169 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:24

Many very credible scientists out there think life exists beyond Earth, no credible scientist will say that we have evidence of that life, huge difference.

Let's use me as an example, I never at any point said I have evidence that life exists, I said I'm sure it exists this article agrees with me, there is a good chance. Due to the billions or Earth Like Planets intelligent life probably exists somewhere in this universe. How is that any different than what I was saying? If I had physical evidence I would have presented it. When I present anything like this it's ridiculed quickly without merit. 6 days ago, this was posted on Huffpost. It seems more and more and more that the experts are agreeing with me. But you don't have to, I can't force you to.

To the first poster I quoted I can't edit so I'll say this. I don't get upset about someone disagreeing with me, I get frustrated that rational people can't grasp the awesomeness of this universe and the mysteries that are undiscovered. It must suck to not have any wonder and just believe that the most we will ever find are rocks and maybe microbes. Call me crazy, it's okay. I'm comfortable with it.

#23 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,251 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:25

Maybe I AM crazy because I don't understand how any rational person can't grasp something so simple.

^ Rational people take 'logic' to extremes, and only follow the pronouncements of Science. ;)

They are just as fanatical about science as Catholics were once fanatical about religion.

#24 C-Squarez

C-Squarez

• 5,169 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:25

I for one am not sure I'd want to see a race that was advanced enough for a trip like that - 4 billion years ago. If that race hasn't died off by some incident, then zomg the technology they would NOW have.

Yeah you never know what they might have if they are that far advanced. But if they survived this long, they must be peaceful, right?

#25 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,251 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:30

^ Most are peaceful, tho not all.

You have to keep in mind the ability to 'Time travel'.

#26 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,208 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:38

Let's use me as an example, I never at any point said I have evidence that life exists, I said I'm sure it exists this article agrees with me, there is a good chance. Due to the billions or Earth Like Planets intelligent life probably exists somewhere in this universe. How is that any different than what I was saying? If I had physical evidence I would have presented it. When I present anything like this it's ridiculed quickly without merit. 6 days ago, this was posted on Huffpost. It seems more and more and more that the experts are agreeing with me. But you don't have to, I can't force you to.

You said "any scientist that even thinks intelligent life exists anywhere else in this universe loses all credibility", all Im saying is that isn't true, they don't lose credibility for saying or suggesting that life, intelligent or not, odds wise should exists. Which is very different then what you said.

FTR the article mentions life once and not in a "it agrees with you" kind of way either, this isn't an article about life but about an "estimate" number of planets that fall into the "possible" zone similar to Earth. The article takes liberty with the title by using "Alien Earth", to loosely associate possible life. It's to get attention to the article, which in this case it did.

#27 C-Squarez

C-Squarez

• 5,169 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:51

You said "any scientist that even thinks intelligent life exists anywhere else in this universe loses all credibility", all Im saying is that isn't true, they don't lose credibility for saying or suggesting that life, intelligent or not, odds wise should exists. Which is very different then what you said.

FTR the article mentions life once and not in a "it agrees with you" kind of way either, this isn't an article about life but about an "estimate" number of planets that fall into the "possible" zone similar to Earth. The article takes liberty with the title by using "Alien Earth", to loosely associate possible life. It's to get attention to the article, which in this case it did.

Hold on, mudslag you are smarter than that. You should see my face right now I'm typing with my mouth wide open because I refuse to believe that you are dense (seriously). This is me, the same C-Squarez that in previous topics have talked about alien life and the Disclosure Project which includes scientists talking about alien life and you were one of my biggest detractors. So I'm not sure if you got hacked or something but to disagree with my stance on alien life in one topic and then agree with me in another is telling me that you don't really pay attention to what I say, you just want to disagree. I could be COMPLETELY wrong but that's the only conclusion I can come up with. I can link to our convos. The intro line was to those that follow me from topic to topic just to disagree with me for some reason especially when I talk about alien life. I can link to about 20 quotes of mine in the past week that shows me being a believer in life on other planets.

Whatever your motives are man, I can't figure them out right now. I'm too tired.

#28 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,208 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:05

Hold on, mudslag you are smarter than that. You should see my face right now I'm typing with my mouth wide open because I refuse to believe that you are dense (seriously). This is me, the same C-Squarez that in previous topics have talked about alien life and the Disclosure Project which includes scientists talking about alien life and you were one of my biggest detractors. So I'm not sure if you got hacked or something but to disagree with my stance on alien life in one topic and then agree with me in another is telling me that you don't really pay attention to what I say, you just want to disagree. I could be COMPLETELY wrong but that's the only conclusion I can come up with. I can link to our convos. The intro line was to those that follow me from topic to topic just to disagree with me for some reason especially when I talk about alien life. I can link to about 20 quotes of mine in the past week that shows me being a believer in life on other planets.

Whatever your motives are man, I can't figure them out right now. I'm too tired.

Im honestly not sure what you're trying to say. I wasn't trying to say that you dont think life exists but that the article isn't about life. I was also stating that credible scientist don't disagree that there is life out there, just that we have no evidence for it currently. So Im not sure what you're confused about.

#29 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,448 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:05

Honestly, I'd be worried if there weren't "aliens" as Sci-Fi has portrayed them. It would either mean we're the first beings in the universe which means we'd die out eventually or we're the last and the universe itself will just cease to exist.

What if there are planet size aliens? They would be like giant pacmans... pacmen?

#30 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,251 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:08

^ There are some fairly big aliens -- but Earth is being 'protected' to some extent. ;)