nasa exoplanet kepler space telescope goldilocks zone science

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 C-Squarez

C-Squarez

ARE YOU IN THAT MOOD YET?!?!

• 5,145 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:11

Im honestly not sure what you're trying to say. I wasn't trying to say that you dont think life exists but that the article isn't about life. I was also stating that credible scientist don't disagree that there is life out there, just that we have no evidence for it currently. So Im not sure what you're confused about.

Oh I see what's happening now. Okay, I understand what you are saying my friend. I hope you have a great night and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

#32 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,054 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:48

Yeah you never know what they might have if they are that far advanced. But if they survived this long, they must be peaceful, right?

or conquered all else that was a threat :p

#33 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:57

I'm not sure I believe billions. Millions, maybe.

#34 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 14,327 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:54

What's funny is, I don't misrepresent myself at all. People are just way too quick to judge and ridicule. I don't eat up every UFO story so we can skip past that. The only UFO stories I have ever taken seriously are ones that can't be easily dismissed. Now if intelligent life exists and have visited planet Earth before which many people believe, how did they get here? Anything I post up has merit but as I said too many are too quick to ridicule and judge without any grounds for their attacks. When I do post about UFO's I post quotes from credible sources. Maybe I AM crazy because I don't understand how any rational person can't grasp something so simple.

The one thing that bugs me about UFO reports, is that people really just don't understand what the term actually MEANS!

Just because a flying object is unidentified doesn't automatically mean it must be aliens from another world. It just means we don't know what it is. :p In most cases the cause is easily explained. In the very few that no explanation IS found, well... That's when we just shrug. It's kinda like religion really. Just because you can't explain something, doesn't mean god did it. :p

#35 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 10,722 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:56

Puts forward a bill to the white house...
Start a Company called Weyland Yutani, and lets go strip mine.....

#36 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,462 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 13:24

The only UFO stories I have ever taken seriously are ones that can't be easily dismissed. Now if intelligent life exists and have visited planet Earth before which many people believe, how did they get here? Anything I post up has merit but as I said too many are too quick to ridicule and judge without any grounds for their attacks. When I do post about UFO's I post quotes from credible sources. Maybe I AM crazy because I don't understand how any rational person can't grasp something so simple.

But again, just because you can't identify a light in the sky doesn't mean it's likely to be a little alien in a spaceship. It could very well be... but it could also be lots of other things.

You might be surprised to hear that I used to be a nutter for UFO stuff, but I gradually became more and more frustrated with the "evidence", because it was the same thing over & over again. Everything was vague & increasingly "mystical", there was never anything definitive.

^ Rational people take 'logic' to extremes, and only follow the pronouncements of Science. ;)

They are just as fanatical about science as Catholics were once fanatical about religion.

ha ha! Yea, objective evaluation & sound logic can really cloud ones judgement. Best to rely on instinct & wishful thinking. /s

#37 C-Squarez

C-Squarez

ARE YOU IN THAT MOOD YET?!?!

• 5,145 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 15:50

But again, just because you can't identify a light in the sky doesn't mean it's likely to be a little alien in a spaceship. It could very well be... but it could also be lots of other things.

You might be surprised to hear that I used to be a nutter for UFO stuff, but I gradually became more and more frustrated with the "evidence", because it was the same thing over & over again. Everything was vague & increasingly "mystical", there was never anything definitive.

Completely agree with that. My problem is, and has always been, whenever the topic comes up, a few people on here call you crazy if you even entertain the idea. That's ignorance in it's purest form. As I've stated before, I've never said every unexplained thing is a UFO, I said that in my opinion, there is enough evidence to prove they do exist. But that's just me and I guess we can say people will believe what they want. Some people will see a blurry photo and say it's too blurry, they want a better picture. Then they get a better picture and scream Photoshop. That's an irrational person but they don't know it yet.

When I talk about UFO's, check my posts, I talk about credible witnesses who's testimonies are beyond reproach. If I'm citing incredibly credible people who have all the accolades are in a position to have an educated opinion on this stuff, there should be no reason I'm still being called crazy. The great thing is, that doesn't bother me since I'm not the one making the claims. I'm just the one pointing in the direction of the ones making the claims and telling people to prove them wrong. They can't so they resort to personal attacks. intelligence at it's finest...

#38 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,849 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 19:18

I'm not sure I believe billions. Millions, maybe.

We'll send you around in a spaceship to take the Galactic census. ;)

ha ha! Yea, objective evaluation & sound logic can really cloud ones judgement. Best to rely on instinct & wishful thinking. /s

People easily overlook that much of Science is based on mere unproven theories and wishful thinking.

I stand by the statement that many humans are just as fanatical about science, as they were once obsessed with religions.

#39 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,281 posts
  • OS: Windows Embedded Standard 8 & Server 2012/08 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 February 2013 - 19:46

People easily overlook that much of Science is based on mere unproven theories and wishful thinking.

I stand by the statement that many humans are just as fanatical about science, as they were once obsessed with religions.

And you type that on a device made possible by our understanding of the natural laws of the universe.

#40 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

• 3,634 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 20:10

When you say most of science, what do you mean? Could you qualify that. I also do no agree with the fanaticism part.

Science is more than just theoretical physics which is only 1 part of science as a whole. Take for example biological science. How many theories go unproven or untested? I would hazard a guess, not many as experimentation is able to be done and observed relatively immediately. Geology, Chemistry, Mathematics etc... But even with theoretical physics, the untested theories which are backed up by strong mathematics aren't just mere unproven theories. They are strong, yet to be observed, theories. Mainstream science doesn't just accept theories at face value without serious reviewing and questioning. Even after observation may have proved the theory correct, it is still scrutinized for decades before mainstream acceptance.

#41 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,849 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:54

When you say most of science, what do you mean? Could you qualify that. I also do not agree with the fanaticism part.

People simply accept whatever Darwin, NASA, Carl Sagan, Hawking, the 'government' agencies, tell them.

Whether it really makes sense, fits the evidence, or defys logic.

Many people do not think for themselves.

While there certainly are a lot of good things coming from Science, there are also many incorrect theories thrown around as fact.

It is a shame to see humans being mislead, fooled, even lied to.

Many discoveries that would make Earth life far more pleasant, are being hidden, suppressed, destroyed.

Present science is being controlled out of fear and greed.

And even scarier, 'they' don't want you to wake up to a true understanding.

You will see Science change greatly over time, as the spiritual side of the Universe is finally recognized.

And as always, you are all free to agree or disagree as you choose.

#42 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,281 posts
  • OS: Windows Embedded Standard 8 & Server 2012/08 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:30

Right and the incorrect theories are anything that disagrees with your preconceptions.

#43 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

• 3,634 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:00

People simply accept whatever Darwin, NASA, Carl Sagan, Hawking, the 'government' agencies, tell them.

Whether it really makes sense, fits the evidence, or defys logic.

Many people do not think for themselves.

While there certainly are a lot of good things coming from Science, there are also many incorrect theories thrown around as fact.

It is a shame to see humans being mislead, fooled, even lied to.

Many discoveries that would make Earth life far more pleasant, are being hidden, suppressed, destroyed.

Present science is being controlled out of fear and greed.

And even scarier, 'they' don't want you to wake up to a true understanding.

You will see Science change greatly over time, as the spiritual side of the Universe is finally recognized.

And as always, you are all free to agree or disagree as you choose.

Could you name those incorrect theories people use as facts?

#44 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 14,327 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:28

Prove this, please.

#45 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 10,722 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:38

I believe in Alien life, I've watched the movies...
Also, if we really are the only life form in the whole vastness of space, that's one hell of a waste of space.
Here's another, throughout the history of the written word (I use the term word loosely, <I'm also describing hieroglyphics as a form of written documentation or word>) there have been approx. 3000 life forms not recognised as human, but above human, some were even concidered as deities, Humans in those ancient times weren't exactly neanderthals, so if there is any truth to those documents, they must (or at least did) exist. Hell if there's another earth like planet, then it stands to reason life, possibly even what we accept as the norm here. Exists there as well...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!