Former LAPD officer goes over the edge

Yea im just reading tweets saying no body was found too, from LAPD apparently. CBS have bad informants it seems.

I think all the major news outlets jumped the gun...CNN, ABC and Fox all reported / cited an AP "source".

Chances are they will find him, but yea, should have really thought about it a bit better considering no-one had been within 100 yards and it was still very much on fire when the reports came in

If there really was a conspiracy it wouldn't be done over freely accessible radio frequencies that are monitored. The real issue is a systemic lack of accountability that allows police officers to believe they are above the law, made worse by overly emotional officers with poor training. Clearly setting fire to a building to flush out a suspect is illegal and idiotic - especially when monitored by the media. Officers shouldn't be allowed to run around like headless chickens, acting on whatever comes into their head. I can't believe for a second that any police protocol recommends setting a building on fire with somebody inside, which means that the chain of command and poor discipline are to blame - likely it's a combination of arrogance, incompetence, corruption and panic.

If there really was a conspiracy it wouldn't be done over freely accessible radio frequencies that are monitored. The real issue is a systemic lack of accountability that allows police officers to believe they are above the law, made worse by overly emotional officers with poor training. Clearly setting fire to a building to flush out a suspect is illegal and idiotic - especially when monitored by the media. Officers shouldn't be allowed to run around like headless chickens, acting on whatever comes into their head. I can't believe for a second that any police protocol recommends setting a building on fire with somebody inside, which means that the chain of command and poor discipline are to blame - likely it's a combination of arrogance, incompetence, corruption and panic.

According to what they said over the radio, they planned for this eventuality. I assume they would have used the same 'burn plan' if they found him in a cabin through their searches. Not due panic or incompetence. Well planned and executed and came prepared with the tools to do it.

According to what they said over the radio, they planned for this eventuality. Not due panic or incompetence. Well planned and executed.

They planned to set fire to a building with him inside? I knew US policing was bad but that's ridiculous.

Unfortunately it backs up the reason he went on this rampage to begin with, ironically if he is dead, he died in exactly the way he was trying to prove happens in the police force.

Well, his beef was with LAPD. Not sure which department planned and executed the burning.

Cabin burned, and they expect to find a charred body inside. Unless it's another victim / accomplice & he split that's it.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/02/12/authorities-responding-to-big-bear-home-on-report-of-hostage-situation-unknown-if-connected-to-dorner/

What he did was wrong, wrong, wrong, but it's looking like LA PD & city govt. has a lot of explaining to do too. Hopefully there is a real tough investigative team empaneled by the Feds as IMO no one in California has the credibility to mount one.

This whole thing stinks to High Heaven.

• Like 2

The fire could have been set by him, started by a tear gas canister or by a flash-bang (stun) grenade.

"Pushed back inside"?!?

By return fire (as in he came out shooting), fine. No problem.

Pushed back by unprompted firing by police and/or physically, then we have another problem.

Well, they asked all media outlets to cut the live feed. Then a few minutes later, we hear reports of the cabin burning down.

Suspicious no ?

I've got to admit that I've not been keeping track of this incident, but is it really considered a legitimate tactic to burn a building down for one guy? Would setting up a siege not have been more appropriate, followed by a night assault?

EDIT: I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Legitimate or not, it's certainly barbaric.

I've got to admit that I've not been keeping track of this incident, but is it really considered a legitimate tactic to burn a building down for one guy? Would setting up a siege not have been more appropriate, followed by a night assault?

EDIT: I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Legitimate or not, it's certainly barbaric.

If they did that, then whoever made that decision, and whoever actually DID it, should be tried for murder.

• Like 1

The fire could have been set by him, started by a tear gas canister or by a flash-bang (stun) grenade.

"Pushed back inside"?!?

By return fire (as in he came out shooting), fine. No problem.

Pushed back by unprompted firing by police and/or physically, then we have another problem.

That pretty much sums it up. If the fire was non-deliberate (i.e. grenade or flashbang) and he tried to make a run for it without surrendering but was forced back by suppressing fire then that doesn't sound unreasonable given the danger he posed, though depending on the circumstances the police are maybe still culpable for his death (i.e. negligence). If the fire was started deliberately then that's attempted murder / murder, especially if he was physically forced inside the building in order to burn to death. Either way there are serious questions that need to be asked about the policing in this situation.

Given the media presence and monitoring of police radio frequencies I suspect a much more complete picture will emerge. Just because police officers talked about setting the cabin on fire in the heat of the moment (no pun intended) doesn't mean that they carried out such actions, as I imagine there was a degree of panic and anger at the scene after the shooting of two officers.