So, it is just about certain that Microsoft will be announcing a 7-inch device called the XBOX Surface this year. There have been multiple rumors about it, and the original Surface leak was for this device. I have a bunch of ideas for how this could work out, so I thought I would post some of the concepts I have done.
XBOX Surface general info:
- Runs a variant of Windows Blue that is specifically aimed a media consumption and gaming
- Start screen looks very similar to WP8
- Will have four main "hubs":
- Games, Music, and Videos (all powered by Xbox) + Books (kind of powered by Nook)
- Bet between hubs by swiping left or right (like all apps screen in WP8)
- Or, use semantic zoom, shown in first picture
- Will have a new extra-large square live tile for each hub
- slightly widget-ized
This first concept is NOT the Start screen. It is a semantic zoom view of the start screen and the four main hubs. Here it is:
- Optimized for this device
- Dedicated SmartGlass charm
- SmartGlass experience is heavily integrated with everything in the OS.
- I hope you can imagine the possibilities. BIG.
As you can see, there are now four tile sizes, but the extra-large tile is reserved for the app powering each one of the hubs. With the music Hub Tile (as I will call them), you are able to play, pause, and skip music, or just launch the app. A few of the small tiles will perform hub-specific functions--the two here are to create a new Smart DJ and to play a playlist. Artists and albums can also be pinned to the hub screen, as seen with Billy Joel and Boston's album. Social music updates, which Microsoft has promised in an update to Xbox Music, will show up on a separate live tile.
Here is a picture showing how it would look on the hypothetical device:
And here is a REALLY rough concept showing what the Start screen will look like (not even close to finished):
Well, I have a lot more ideas, but I will have to save those for another day before this post gets WAY too long. Again, comments, questions, and feedback are appreciated!