Findus beef lasagne contained up to 100% horsemeat

The meat of some beef lasagne products recalled by Findus earlier this week was 100% horsemeat, the Food Standards Agency (FSA) has said.

On Monday Findus withdrew from retailers its beef lasagne in 320g, 360g and 500g sizes as a precaution.

Environment Secretary Owen Paterson said the findings were "completely unacceptable", but Findus said it did not believe it was a food safety issue.

The FSA said companies would now be required to test their beef products.

"In order to get to the bottom of this, we're going to be requiring every company to test every product line," Catherine Brown, the FSA's chief executive, told the BBC.

"If we find any other cases, we will pursue our investigations vigorously until we find out what's happened and put a stop to it."

Ms Brown said it was "highly likely" that criminal activity was to blame for horsemeat being found in some meals.

The FSA said Findus had tested 18 of its beef lasagne products and found 11 meals containing between 60% and 100% horsemeat.

People have been warned not to eat the products, which were made for Findus by French food supplier Comigel.

more

Nothing wrong with horse meat. The problem I see is purchasing "beef" then finding out it's something else. Next time it could end up being long pig(human flesh).

yeah, companies should've honest in what kind of meat they use.

Rat,

Dog,

Horse,

Cow/Bull,

Chiken,

Turkey,

Pigeon,

Lizard,

Snake,

Pig.

They should heavyly fined if they don't honest.

Thing is some people might be allergic or intolerant to horse meat and they could be getting sick from eating it....

I've been getting sick from lasgna lately.... I ate a whole bunch of it last month and I got sick from it.... I hope it wasn't horse or Imma go complain to the companies that made it.

This is more about safety for people with problems.... and this is disgusting.

well I eat a whole buncha other things and I don't get sick from them.... just lasagna has been making me sick lately.... and it's from restaurants and frozen lasagna....

I don't have any issue with horse meat being used in food products but it's absolutely unacceptable that it could enter the food chain under the guise of beef, especially given the quality of the meat is obviously an unknown. The UK regulatory bodies responsible have clearly dropped the ball when it comes to food safety. People should have confidence that what is advertised is what's being sold. It's worse for the pork contamination of halal meat, as that is offensive to people's religious beliefs - it would be like mixing meat into a veggie pasty.

As the article mentions, this is likely the work of criminal gangs and not just a minor oversight.

• Like 1

It will be human d.n.a. which will be probably be found next.

I am sure it already probably has been, but been hushed up.

I am not talking about a fingernail, a finger or hair, I am talking about minced up people.

People laugh at me and call me 'not normal', for being a vegetarian.

24 years and still counting.

^ A little minced garlic helps.

th?id=H.4795834400638287&pid=15.1&H=160&W=160

How?

^ I guess it keeps the vampires away.

And a potential sexual partner!

It will be human d.n.a. which will be probably be found next.

I am sure it already probably has been, but been hushed up.

I am not talking about a fingernail, a finger or hair, I am talking about minced up people.

People laugh at me and call me 'not normal', for being a vegetarian.

24 years and still counting.

Well if Sweeny Todd has any truth behind it.....

Well if Sweeny Todd has any truth behind it.....

What? The flying squad!

I did read about that hair dresser Todd.

Thing is people loved his pies, but, no-one mentioned his hair cuts.

• Like 1

What? The flying squad!

I did read about that hair dresser Todd.

Thing is people loved his pies, but, no-one mentioned his hair cuts.

ROFL I tip my hat to you sir, well played (Y)