Photo

Would A New Router Give Me "Better" WiFi?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:11

FIOS is installed, Asus is setup as an AP. These are my speeds over Wireless.
Posted Image

Wired is a tad faster.

Nice !

What speeds did you have before that .?

#62 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 26 February 2013 - 22:03

Nice !

What speeds did you have before that .?

50/15, so a nice little bump.

So a question for the network gurus, I want to assign the Asus which is setup as an Access Point a Static IP so it does not change, I see how to do that, but I am wondering, do I need to enter anything for the DNS fields? It looks like by default it has nothing in them? Or do I enter the DNS Servers reported by my main router?

So right now the Asus as an Access Point is 192.168.1.11
This will always change, and Asus has a Device Discovery app for Windows that tells you what it changes to, but that is a pain in the ass.
So I want to change it to lets say 192.168.1.166

I just leave everything else like the Default Gateway and Subnet Mask alone correct? (meaning at 192.168.1.1 and 255.255.255.0 respectively)

Here is a screen...

Posted Image

And once I get it setup as a static IP, should I go ahead and add it as the DMZ'd device on my main router?

#63 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 26 February 2013 - 22:28

I am getting a new router which it is being shipped to me. I look forward to it.

#64 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 February 2013 - 00:20

DL - Just thought you should see this since you'd probably like it better :)

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Basically you can use your WAN port on the ONT to get Internet but set the Actiontec device as secondary to power your TVs over the "cable" line. That way your ASUS is the main router in the house and controls internet and directly talks to the ONT. You can turn off wireless on the Actiontec and just stick it in some corner (still connected for MoCA/COAX :p)

That or you can setup COAX and Ethernet at the sametime. The Coax goes to your STB/TVs while the Ethernet goes to your ASUS.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16622

FYI you suck for having options - I'd take me some of that sweet uploads (backing up 200GB server at work was a 6 day process!)

#65 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:42

Thanks as always Shotta, but not sure how any of that would improve my situation based on what I am seeing right now??? My Wireless speeds are as fast as wired, I see all my devices as if they are on the same network. Apple TV with AirPlay works, I can stream from my PC to PS3, I can connect to my Windows Gaming PC from my Macbook as always, everything seems to be working exactly as it should with my current setup. So I am almost of the mindset to just leave well enough alone you know?

#66 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 27 February 2013 - 23:51

So can anyone answer if I need to put the DNS Name Servers or can I just leave them blank as show in the screenshot? Referring to this post here.
I plan on making the IP Static, something like 192.168.1.77,
Again, this is just so it is easy to access from a browser. But I am hesitant for whatever stupid reason to change it since everything is working perfectly right now. Asus has a Discovery Utility if I leave it to Automatic that will find what the assigned IP winds up being, but that is Windows only, and although I have a Windows machine, I am mainly on my mac, hence why I want to make it static.
Will leave Subnet Mask at 255.255.255.0
And Gateway will be the main router, so the normal 192.168.1.1

Just need to know if I need to enter anything for DNS Name Servers, or does the main router handle that which I am thinking it does?
If I do need to enter something, do I just enter the DNS Name Servers that are listed on my main router (have that page open now so know what they are).

#67 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 February 2013 - 00:54

If you only want your Asus to be a dumb connection then leave it as is and enjoy. Your devices will connect to it but all data will be past to the Actiontec for DHCP/DNS or routing so that will work just fine.

As for my other post, I posted it in the instance you didn't want to use Verizon's "crappy" router and use your new baby for the full management of the network. If the Verizon stuff works then no need to mess with it anymore.

#68 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 28 February 2013 - 00:58

If you only want your Asus to be a dumb connection then leave it as is and enjoy. Your devices will connect to it but all data will be past to the Actiontec for DHCP/DNS or routing so that will work just fine.

As for my other post, I posted it in the instance you didn't want to use Verizon's "crappy" router and use your new baby for the full management of the network. If the Verizon stuff works then no need to mess with it anymore.

Yeah it just seems like there is a lot of room for the Verizon hardware to not work as it should with the alternatives. I would LOVE to have my Dark Knight (that is the actual name LOL) control everything, but I also do have a multi room DVR etc. that I want to work hassle free. Honestly even with the DK playing second fiddle, everything seems to be working pretty damn good. I disabled the Verizon's router Wireless, it was crap no doubt. Thanks again for all the help, no doubt appreciated. (Y)

#69 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 02 March 2013 - 21:23

Finally assigned the Static IP to my Asus acting as an Access Point. I waited until the weekend just in case for whatever reason something went wrong and I needed to troubleshoot, was no need as it took about 1 minute total.

So interesting observation I had, I originally did not assign the DNS servers, and my Wireless was overall about 10-15 Mb slower. As soon as I assigned the DNS Name Servers, I went back to the normal speeds...
Posted Image

So why is that out of curiosity? I would think it was getting the DNS from the Verizon just the same as before when I had it set to Auto, so was it not? Or was it something else entirely?

Also speaking of the DNS servers, what are peoples thoughts on Open DNS? The way to go? When I assigned them, I put an Open DNS server as Name Server 1, and I matched the same DNS Server in spot #2 from my Verizon router? Should I not do this, and do either one or the other?

#70 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:35

Finally assigned the Static IP to my Asus acting as an Access Point. I waited until the weekend just in case for whatever reason something went wrong and I needed to troubleshoot, was no need as it took about 1 minute total.

So interesting observation I had, I originally did not assign the DNS servers, and my Wireless was overall about 10-15 Mb slower. As soon as I assigned the DNS Name Servers, I went back to the normal speeds...
Posted Image

So why is that out of curiosity? I would think it was getting the DNS from the Verizon just the same as before when I had it set to Auto, so was it not? Or was it something else entirely?

Also speaking of the DNS servers, what are peoples thoughts on Open DNS? The way to go? When I assigned them, I put an Open DNS server as Name Server 1, and I matched the same DNS Server in spot #2 from my Verizon router? Should I not do this, and do either one or the other?

The ASUS RT-N66U uses its own DNS servers by default so that's why you had slower speeds. If you want to use your ISP's DNS server, you'll have to set them on your Verizon router as well as your ASUS router. If you only do it on your Verizon router, then I think any device connecting to the ASUS router will use the ASUS DNS servers. You'll want to use your ISP's DNS servers because generally, they're the fastest. OpenDNS is great but you should only use it for its features.

#71 jltech

jltech

Neowinian

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:32

It would supposedly give you better WiFi.

#72 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 96
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 21:47

You do understand the what dns serves you point to have NOTHING to do with the latency or bandwidth between you and some server you moving data between.

Could dns effect your browsing speed in the sense that it takes longer to resolve something - sure! Once that something is resolved DNS is no longer in the picture and how fast you download or upload between that server and you has again nothing to do with dns.

Thinking the dns server you used to resolve speedtest.net has something to do with how fast your test was is pure and utter nonsense.

#73 blade1269

blade1269

Jesus Saved me! A Christian!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:03

I just got a referb Apple AirPort Extreme, and love it. Comes with built in USB 2.0 port. And awesomely easy setup and better wireless coverage . Never going back to linksys or net gear ever again.