• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 neuroticdave

neuroticdave

Gates

• 116 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S5; Rooted, Custom ROM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 00:57

Good! Let the kids make their own fortunes, as opposed to leeching off their parents hard earned money. I'm sure growing up they had everything they could possibly want anyway, time to leave the nest and fend for yourself. At the same time, this gives kids who DON'T have the same means that the wealthy ones did to earn a good degree and then become wealthy themselves. It's a win/win no matter how you look at it.

#17 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,025 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:07

I would at least give my kids a good education and a little jump start.

#18 Decebalvs Rex

Decebalvs Rex

Transylvanian

• 515 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:24

I somehow blame him for doing that. He could donate a part of his fortune and raise his kids in expensive ways . Those kids won't probably have to steal/ do illegal activity to get money in the late years.( You never know how a man changes , or when he dies ). Why take the joy of having everything from your children , keep them happy and healthy using that fortune ? Life is short and communism isn't a way. Money poisons already ill people and without money you can't enjoy all the aspects of life. "Let those kids earn that money on their own trough education/familly/business" - thats proper crap. What if those kids will get a rare disease wich is very expensive to treat ? If I'll ever gather large sums of money , I'll surely leave them to my kids in fair parts , provide them the life of wich others could only dream. I would surely donate too but what this father did is insane IMO. Living large is poisonous ? Please come to Romania my friends , or some other Eastern Countries if you don't want live large. Money is almost everything these days. You get a woman , meds, you see what this beautiful world has to offer , you eat properly aswell as your mental state is in a good condition- health . A good education + a close and good familly + love and money can do wonders for kids. Sorry for my bad english.

#19 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,810 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:42

I would at least give my kids a good education and a little jump start.

But he's doing that?

While the pair will put their four children through university and help set them up, Mr Tuckwell said he just wanted them to do what made them happy.

"And if they create things themselves, then it's a sense of achievement," he said.

#20 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• 2,493 posts
  • Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 09 February 2013 - 14:00

IMHO the worse thing you can do for a child is to take their incentive to work away from them. I suggest some people actually read the article - the parents are going to help but the kids aren't going to get a massive windfall when the parents die.

#21 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

• 2,669 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 14:17

Hmm think it my dad said that i'd say "sorry dad, im not going to your funeral" what a prick!

#22 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,011 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 09 February 2013 - 14:21

Hmm think it my dad said that i'd say "sorry dad, im not going to your funeral" what a prick!

So your Dad would be a prick for paying for all your Education and helping set you up for life?

#23 +-T-

-T-

Trapmaster

• 2,613 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 14:31

If only the parents of some of the folk you see on "Rich Kids of Instagram" would follow this precedent, there would be less odious individuals in the world

#24 NightScreams

NightScreams

Neowinian

• 267 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 14:45

This is BS... a lot of money is poisonous to have, yet he and his wife had a ton of it... sigh. More like his kids got spoiled rotten and turned into self-absorbed leeches living of their parents name and money. So, they failed rasing their kids, and decided to dump the money rather than leaving it to them.

Seriously, it takes a screwed up parent to NOT want to set their kids and their kid's kids up for ever and a good life.

I agree they failed as parents. Raise kids to understand value, give them chores, make them get jobs and setup trust funds for a future age (maybe around 30yrs old) to kick in after they have accumulated life experiences. I wouldn't even tell them they get any money until they reach that age anyway. The problems usually stem from when wealthy parents let kids do and get what they want which can lead to various habits and mental diseases as they grow older.
Chronic laziness, procrastination, poor spending habits...etc for example are all mental diseases accumulated over time and effects millions of people worldwide, not just the wealthy.

#25 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

• 2,669 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 14:58

So your Dad would be a prick for paying for all your Education and helping set you up for life?

Not really, maybe it's just me but when I have children I'll do everything I can to help them and leave everything to them (debts no doubt my case) but he's like blanking them out and for me I'd hate him, yes he's paying for education etc but these days you can be the best of the best education wise and still not get a job, and giving all his money to the education system which is no doubt going to make a very fat man even more fatter cos they'll spend it all before it even goes into the system.

It's like people who give all their money to charities it's wasted money, we've been giving billions to charities and they're in exactly the same situation, it's because charities and the like are businesses and the managers take all the money as bonus first

#26 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,011 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 09 February 2013 - 15:12

Not really, maybe it's just me but when I have children I'll do everything I can to help them and leave everything to them (debts no doubt my case) but he's like blanking them out and for me I'd hate him, yes he's paying for education etc but these days you can be the best of the best education wise and still not get a job, and giving all his money to the education system which is no doubt going to make a very fat man even more fatter cos they'll spend it all before it even goes into the system.

It's like people who give all their money to charities it's wasted money, we've been giving billions to charities and they're in exactly the same situation, it's because charities and the like are businesses and the managers take all the money as bonus first

He doesn't want them to become corrupted by Money. Someone in his position has probably seen money do horrible things to good people. There's a good chance he never wants that to happen to his kids.

He's setting up his kids to become self sufficient. He;s paying for all their education and setting them up to make it on their own instead of becoming spoilt young brats who expect everything to be given to them.

#27 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• 19,636 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 09 February 2013 - 15:26

Terrible. Yes, it's up to the kids to make a living themselves... but if I had millions to give it certainly wouldn't be to random people. Sounds like the parents didn't get along with their kids. Teaching them a "lesson" is the only thing going on here. Money is poison, but it's just how society is... and doing this to your kids, when you know they could have a safe future with it, then throwing it all away is just ridiculous.

#28 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• 3,014 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 09 February 2013 - 16:28

if i had loads of money I would want my kids to have it... and then laugh at those less fortunate ...

#29 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,262 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 16:45

What a selfish attitude. Besides being born, what would you have done to deserve that money? "Hey dad, thanks for raising me and putting me through school, but screw you to hell for giving your money to people less fortunate than I am."

Glad not everyone in the world thinks like you. :)

#30 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,810 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 09 February 2013 - 19:28

Terrible. Yes, it's up to the kids to make a living themselves... but if I had millions to give it certainly wouldn't be to random people. Sounds like the parents didn't get along with their kids. Teaching them a "lesson" is the only thing going on here. Money is poison, but it's just how society is... and doing this to your kids, when you know they could have a safe future with it, then throwing it all away is just ridiculous.

Well one its not exactly random people. It gets put into a scholarship fund for kids that excel at what they do.

His kids will have all their education paid for and will be set up / giving everything they need to succeed. That's a lot better than going here's 100 million kids, do what you want with it.

If you want proof that just giving your kids a lot of money tends to spoil them just look at the amount of trust fund kids in America and see what they've done with their lives. My wife's grandparents have a trust fund set up for their grand kids, its not a massive amount of money (nowhere near six figures) but it's enough to live comfortably. In addition to that all their education, including university, is paid for. Most of the grandkids have done nothing with their lives, some haven't even bothered to go to college even though it's free. Why? Because they've gottten money handed to them without having to do anything. That's exactly what this guy (and others like Bill Gates) are trying to avoid with their kids.