Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

Do you want the start menu in Windows 8  

631 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

• Yes
    • No

This topic has been clubbed to death like a baby seal, but I don't think there has ever been a simple yes or no poll. I tried searching for one but didn't find anything.

The reason for this poll, was because of this Editorial on the front page

Windows 8 users still want a Start menu and a Facebook app

http://www.neowin.ne...-a-facebook-app

While this isn't the entire Windows 8 user base it is part of the Neowin user base.

Sadly the start menu is most likely never returning to Windows.

CLOSE this THREAD already. Beaten to death is an understatement. User should SEARCH the forums to get peoples opinion on the Start Menu. Also, if you want the Start Menu back, go get START8

Close please

Yes, I do.

I won't bother with my reasons since

A) They have been explained many times before

B) Someone will choose to tell me how I can achieve the same results in Windows 8 without a Start Menu, despite the fact that:

C) It is a personal preference.

• Like 9

CLOSE this THREAD already. Beaten to death is an understatement. User should SEARCH the forums to get peoples opinion on the Start Menu. Also, if you want the Start Menu back, go get START8

Close please

There has been TONS of threads created on the subject, but never a simple Yes or No Poll.

While I think that it will make the transition better for people i think that overall the progression of the OS is not that bad and once you get used to it you probably wont use the old start menu much. Even in Windows 7 i currently rarely use the start menu I have Launchy installed and I just use it to load most everything that is in the start menu.

I rarely ever dusted off the start menu in windows 7 or server 2008R2... so no I don't miss it

Not really, no. The live tiles alone are absurdly handy. Just needs a bit of refinement on the 'back side' of the menu.. drag-and-drop organizing, collapsible/nested sub-menus, etc. The presentation is mostly fine, just missing some of the functionality it used to have.

No. Start Screen contains more functionality.

Either way, the Start Menu is dead to Microsoft. It's not coming back in any official fashion, and nor should it. It was a UX leftover from the 90's, that has decayed since then.

Whatever happens with the Start Screen years from now is any one's guess, but one thing is certain, it won't be replaced with that outdated bit. It can't. It's time to move on.

No its better than the start menu ever was, No more moving shortcuts around and deleting web,readme and uninstall shortcuts it just shows my programs.

• Like 2

Yes. I hate that the start screen is fullscreen (I find it disruptive), and in some ways has less functionality than the start menu:

- no most used programs list, automatically generated;

- no recently opened files list;

- no global search (it's divided in three sub-areas, apps, settings, files);

- no advanced options via contextual menu (like open with).

The Start Menu didn't need to go yet as its replacement hardly gives us a benefit however the Start Menu is gone now and needs to stay gone. Time to embrace change as no matter how hard people whine, the old Start Menu will never return.

Do you want the start menu back in Windows 8?

Windows 8 never had this in the first place.

I would like Windows 8 with a start button, start menu and some features which 7 has, plus the new 8 features, without using third party softwares.

No, I've gotten used to having my apps organised into groups that I want instead of one giant list that can only utilize the height of my screen. I see this as added functionality and I wouldn't want to lose it.

RUhnJ69.jpg

No I like the start screen, it is what it should be, a launcher for applications. The start menu was confined to a small area on the screen and I thought it looked rather antiquated.

• Like 3