Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

Do you want the start menu in Windows 8  

631 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

• Yes
    • No

you sound like a little kid blowing a fit because people don't want what you want.

So a rational, thought out reply is "throwing a fit"?

I think I would probably install it on my home PC (running it at work already) if I could have the start menu back! I just don't get / feel / like / believe that the live tiles based Start Screen and, most importantly, full screen Start Screen based apps is the way forward on the desktop at all. That's my personal feeling / preference and I don't expect anyone else to agree with it but just giving my reason for my poll vote!

You are not alone, because based on the vote a lot of people feel like you.

You are not alone, because based on the vote a lot of people feel like you.

Have to admit I didn't think I'd be in the majority - I'm quite shocked to see that actually it's the minority who'd prefer not to have the Start Menu back. Quite an eye opener!

Considering you should be more than able to use keyboard shortcuts with most of these, there is no problem here.

On a touchscreen, Start can be accessed by the Charms Bar, so again, no issues.

You have OBVIOUSLY never used Hyper-V, VMware, etc. The hot keys hit the HOST computer, not the client. Win-R or any of the windows key combinations never go to the client, same as Ctrl-Alt-Del never goes to a client thus why they implement a pass through of Ctrl-Alt-End translating to what is needed.

As far as a touchscreen, the charms bar is almost impossible to hit on any monitor that has a deep outer edge such as a point of sale monitor and greatly reduces the efficiency of needing to launch another program in Windows 8.

As you can see from the poll, the majority of people want it back, you are the minority Dot.

I can't decide...the new start page is awesome, but you know how it goes, when you're used to nothing BUT the start menu....and then it's all of a sudden gone. I run 8 on my laptop....typing this from my revived desktop (power supply issue, but I already knew that). Anyhow, typing this from 7 makes no difference....I use a start menu replacement for 8, and I use it just like I always have in 7, and it gives me no problems....in fact, the start menu + the start screen (if inseparable) are like heaven when combined.....now I've got to buy a new copy of 8 for my desktop. Soon. ;) And I'll use it like I use my laptop...same start menu replacement (I love the start menu, Microsoft!)

Windows 8 is not in any points worser than Windows 7. It's just that alot of peoples here doesn't want to learn new things in an OS that is faster and safer than Windows 7.

If peoples would learn the different keyboard shortcuts in Windows 8, then they would actually see that they can use the same things that they use the start menu for in a much faster and easier way.

Even my mon (who is pretty bad at computers) doesn't even see the point in the start menu after i have learned her how to use the new shortcuts and stuffs in Windows 8.

Is it just me, or did anyone else picture either a complete hick in overalls with a 4th grade education, or a jamacan guy that english isn't his native language writting this?

Please man, grammar, spelling, ENGLISH PLEASE?!? I mean really "I have learned her how to use" ???

Maybe this entire thing is actually a poll in disguise, educated vs uneducated? Which group likes having a major unbeneficial change forced on you for absolutely no reason more.

Is it just me, or did anyone else picture either a complete hick in overalls with a 4th grade education, or a jamacan guy that english isn't his native language writting this?

Please man, grammar, spelling, ENGLISH PLEASE?!? I mean really "I have learned her how to use" ???

Maybe this entire thing is actually a poll in disguise, educated vs uneducated? Which group likes having a major unbeneficial change forced on you for absolutely no reason more.

English isn't everyone's primary language. While I noticed that there were errors in the post, I still found that I could understand the points being made. Let's stick to the subject.

All this poll is showing that around 54% of NEOWIN users want the Start Menu back, which ISN'T surprising considering the utter disgust shown on here at the fact it was removed.

I do hope that everyone here who are debating the issue to death for the Xth time, understands that it is very UNLIKELY to come back in any future version of Windows.

All this poll is showing that around 54% of NEOWIN users want the Start Menu back, which ISN'T surprising considering the utter disgust shown on here at the fact it was removed.

I do hope that everyone here who are debating the issue to death for the Xth time, understands that it is very UNLIKELY to come back in any future version of Windows.

Yes I realise that it probably won't come back. Doesn't mean it shouldn't, I always thought that companies were meant to consider the customers opinions, apparently not the case anymore.

Never mind though, Windows 7 is fine for me. When it is no longer supported and/or no longer works, then I'll make a decision.

You have OBVIOUSLY never used Hyper-V, VMware, etc. The hot keys hit the HOST computer, not the client. Win-R or any of the windows key combinations never go to the client, same as Ctrl-Alt-Del never goes to a client thus why they implement a pass through of Ctrl-Alt-End translating to what is needed.

I have, and there are ways of changing that. It's how I ran Windows 8 in the early days. Don't say it can't be done because it can.

EDIT: Going to the VMWare page, tells me it's been more than updated to include support for Windows 8 and its features.

Windows 8

Workstation 9 has been designed to run on Windows 8 and run Windows 8 virtual machines. Easy Install has been enhanced to recognize Windows 8. Workstation 9 has been enhanced to support the Windows 8 user interface (formerly known as Metro). Toggling between Metro and the Windows Desktop can be done by simply pressing the Windows key on the keyboard and Unity intelligently handles the Metro interface. Workstation 9 also includes multi-touch support for driving the Windows 8 Metro interface running in Workstation on a Windows 8 tablet.

Oh dear...

I voted yes, although I've already made the switch to Mac. But, I still have an enterprise to support and have a test machine with 8 on it at my desk. I am currently using classic shell to meet my preferences, although I would prefer a native start menu for desktop machines.

That is 'Workstation 9' FFS. Rational? Thats a laugh.

Yeah, you're right, there is no rational thought to advancing technology. Who the **** am I kidding.

I have, and there are ways of changing that. It's how I ran Windows 8 in the early days. Don't say it can't be done because it can.

EDIT: Going to the VMWare page, tells me it's been more than updated to include support for Windows 8 and its features.

Oh dear...

+47.74 for the vmware references.

That is 'Workstation 9' FFS. Rational? Thats a laugh.

I know VMware has a range of products, but it goes to show, they're not ignoring Windows 8 has was previously claimed by Kelxin.

Workstation 8 was still excellent with Windows 8. Vmware player even worked great as well... Vmware knows what people want.

No, that certainly wasn't his ****ing claim, though it does show your inexperience that you don't even know what the frak he is talking about.

We are all for advancing technology so please stop pretending you have some kind of vision on future tech or implementation. Its incredibly childish and arrogant coming from such a novice.

I bought a new AiO yesturday (Envy23) and it appears all the new HP Win8 PCs (touch and non-touch) are shipping with their new 'Quick Start' that is basically a Start Menu replacement as well. While I can see it being as useless as Dell's 'dock', it still interesting when one of the biggest OEMs felt the need to add it too.