Photo

Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
441 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want the start menu in Windows 8

Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#271 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,948 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 20:34

Ah sorry could have made that a bit clearer really

#272 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,767 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 15 February 2013 - 20:40

Ah sorry could have made that a bit clearer really

No worries ;)

I did edit my post. But both my laptop and desktop use Renesas USB3 (only difference being my laptop has 2 USB3 and 2 USB2) and it works. I am using the Renesas drivers too:

Posted Image

They aren't the latest (they're from Windows 7) but they do work flawlessly so I haven't bothered upgrading.

#273 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,714 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 20:46

Actually, he's dead on. Compared to old, rotary phones, today's phone allow us to see missed messages and missed calls. It brings us information, much like the new Start Screen does compared to the old Start Menu.

Jesus H Christ. Are you intentionally being dense or is this more flamebait? Not only does that not square with reality, it also contradicts your prior point that you only need the SS for search and app launching...Make up your fraking mind.

#274 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,422 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 20:57

No worries ;)

I did edit my post. But both my laptop and desktop use Renesas USB3 (only difference being my laptop has 2 USB3 and 2 USB2) and it works. I am using the Renesas drivers too:

Posted Image

They aren't the latest (they're from Windows 7) but they do work flawlessly so I haven't bothered upgrading.

Are you guys in the right thread? I think you may be a tad lost.

#275 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,767 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 20:58

Are you guys in the right thread? I think you may be a tad lost.

I thought we were on Neowin? Isn't it like the rule here for threads to be derailed :rofl:

But yeah it is the wrong topic lol.

#276 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 15 February 2013 - 21:06

Funny, thats more akin to what the removal did that the opposite. Bad metaphor.

If all we 'needed' was search and an app launch we'd have chosen a Mac FFS. That Windows went beyond such simplistic hooey is why its the dominant Desktop platform.

It's hard, from the grammar and/or misspellings and lack of articulation, to divine exactly what your point is... If you're saying that the Start screen is like a large dial and that the menu was like digital buttons in the limited terms of an app launcher, I'd disagree. The Start screen is more like a full screen menu.

:blink:

Have you ever used a rotary phone before? I would love to hear about these "special cases" that are quicker with a rotary phone than a dialpad.

Have you ever used a rotary phone before?!?!? (spittle flying) :D I grew up in the '80s. So, of course I've used a rotary phone.

Here is a special case, it's cold and you've got gloves on. It's much easier and faster to dial a rotary with thick gloves on than to dial on a digital pad.

There are several more special cases that I could make, and each of them is as silly and specialized as the arguments that the Start menu is faster than the Start screen.

If you believe that the menu is quicker, that's your opinion, but my opinion is that that is ridiculous, unless it's cold out and you've got gloves on...

#277 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,948 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 21:12

I used version 2.1.39.0 but the failure seemed to occur using the stock Windows driver as well. My particular controller is the uPD7200200A, latest firmware. I'm not sure what the USB3 issue is, all I know is that it makes Windows 8 unusable for me. I even disabled the USB3 chipset and used the board's USB 2.0 controller and the same problems even happened there.

#278 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

• 1,636 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 23:01

There's no choice because Microsoft felt ready for a new step in pace. They're ready for something new. Whether you want to follow that or not is up to you, but there's dozens of new technologies out there, that can't play nice with the desktop UI. Point and click was great in the 90's but today, there's more than that, and it where people want to go. You have touch, motion, augmented reality, etc, while other technologies have yet to be invented.

You say you don't see an advantage, but I do. Metro and Windows RT have opened up more doors for Microsoft than continuing with the dull desktop GUI (Just look at Surface). If you want to hide behind windows full of code, that's great, but the vast majority of users don't want that. They want something quick and easy to use, so they can be on with their day. Again, My keyboard works great with Windows 8. It's not going away at all, but this notion that we have to spend our days pointing and clicking away at 10px x 10px UI elements is old and tired.

Where is Windows update on this list? With the Start Menu, it would show up, but not on here. Thus proving the fact that the Start Screen is not faster than the start menu.

Requiring somebody to click Settings means it is slower.

Untitled-1.jpg

How is this "great"? Look at all my wasted space here that is just a solid color. How is that better than a little start menu that shows search results?

How do I get to the desktop Windows Update without going to control panel first? The only way I can tell is selecting the option "Install Optional Updates" AFTER you click Settings.

Metro and Windows RT have opened up more doors for Microsoft than continuing with the dull desktop GUI

What is so boring about the desktop UI? You can have (if you have the screen estate) dozens of windows open and VISIBLE at the SAME DAMN TIME. Do not want boring? You can watch dozens (again if you have the screen resolution) videos at the same time. Want to be notified about emails? Outlook has had that for years.

How is the desktop so dull? The Start Screen is what is dull. These flat colors are what is dull.

but this notion that we have to spend our days pointing and clicking away at 10px x 10px UI elements is old and tired

Right invisible hot corners are a MUCH MUCH better solution than providing a visual cue.

#279 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,767 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 23:07

I'm not sure what the USB3 issue is, all I know is that it makes Windows 8 unusable for me. I even disabled the USB3 chipset and used the board's USB 2.0 controller and the same problems even happened there.

Maybe it is something to do with the BIOS then since people have said updating that fixes the issue. Who knows why...

Where is Windows update on this list? With the Start Menu, it would show up, but not on here. Thus proving the fact that the Start Screen is not faster than the start menu.

Except with the start screen things are organized logically. With Windows 7 you'd just get a giant list of applications, files, and settings.

If you're searching for something uncommon like Windows Update (chances of you having files and programs calle d that are 0) then yes you'll just get one option. But say I was looking for explorer, on my computer I have:

2 apps called explorer
5 settings that include explorer
18 files that have explorer

Right invisible hot corners are a MUCH MUCH better solution than providing a visual cue.

They are. Just requires Microsoft to explain them a bit more when the user first boots into Windows 8.

What is so boring about the desktop UI? You can have (if you have the screen estate) dozens of windows open and VISIBLE at the SAME DAMN TIME. Do not want boring? You can watch dozens (again if you have the screen resolution) videos at the same time. Want to be notified about emails? Outlook has had that for years.

And you can still do that in Windows 8...

#280 +beanboy89

beanboy89

Neowinian

• 1,375 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:18

I want the start menu in Windows 3.1

Calmira!

#281 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

• 2,510 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:28

I might have been one of the proponents to bringing back the start menu, but first, it's obvious that Microsoft has no intention to do so, and second, I find Start8 to be even better than the native start menu because it's even more customizable and otherwise works the same. The only negative to Start8 is that sometimes the menu items will appear with the .lnk extension, but that is an extremely minor glitch and hardly worth mentioning. So, no, Microsoft is done with it, it's time to let other developers do it better. Or just move on to the new Start Screen (personally I prefer to use the Start8 menu on the desktop and fill my Start Screen with only metro apps).

#282 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,776 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:33

Sheesh. I wonder how many of you all complained when Microsoft moved the log off/shutdown options from a single click in XP and Vista to multiple clicks in Windows 7.

#283 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,728 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:45

Sheesh. I wonder how many of you all complained when Microsoft moved the log off/shutdown options from a single click in XP and Vista to multiple clicks in Windows 7.

That's still the same amount of clicks :
XP : I click Start button, click log off or shutdown.
Win7: I click Start button, click shutdown or point to > and click log off.

#284 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,776 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:52

That's still the same amount of clicks :
XP : I click Start button, click log off or shutdown.
Win7: I click Start button, click shutdown or point to > and click log off.

It added a click:

XP: Start > Shutdown/Log Off
7: Start > (depending on your button settings) Shutdown/ Log Off (OR) > (Arrow) > Shutdown/Log Off

#285 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,422 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:23

It looks like you may be getting low. Let me help replace some of them. Here ya go!

Posted Image