Photo

Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
441 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want the start menu in Windows 8

Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#316 Hpo Niks

Hpo Niks

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 19:11

NO!

#317 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,462 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 19:19

People, People.. I'll say this again.. the setup for Windows 8 (pokes MS as a hint for windows 9) should poke the installation system for whether it is touch or not.If it IS a touch system, then by all means install without the start button. If NOT, then install the start menu.. I use both interfaces but am tethered to a mouse. MS couldn't have been too concerned about the new UI when they failed to get manufacturers on board THEN blamed them for lack luster sales.. SMH.

embrace the future is relative to the computers being used. too few manufacturers AND MS JUST started selling touch systems... couldn't have been that big of a deal ( the future :/ )

#318 +GlitterBoy

GlitterBoy

Neowinian

• 50 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted 17 February 2013 - 19:26

I brought Start8, So I'm afraid I have a nonchalance towards it, but I would prefer a inbuilt solution without having to use a third party solution.

#319 Mikee4fun

Mikee4fun

Neowinian

• 636 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 19:30

For desktop users and enterprise users it should be an option out of the box. Most of my clients only want Windows 7 due to this. Workflow for enterprise users is a mess with the Windows 8 start screen. A huge loss in productivity.

I will say for touch screen only devices then the Windows 8 start screen is a must.

#320 Quppa

Quppa

Neowinian

• 104 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 22:02

Wait what? ClearType is dead? Isn't the Surface Screen Technology even called ClearType?

The Surface's 'ClearType Display' has no relation to ClearType sub-pixel anti-aliasing. They just decided to reuse the same name, for reasons that are unclear (much like they re-used 'Surface'). ClearType (in the traditional sense) is absent from the Metro environment (that is, the Start Screen and all Metro-style apps), IE10 (both UIs), large parts of Office 2013 and various parts of the desktop (the clock, language 'bar', Explorer window titles, the Explorer address and search bars, taskbar window preview titles, etc.). This won't be a problem when we're all using high-DPI devices like the Surface Pro, but look forward to bad font rendering in Windows until then.

#321 MFH

MFH

RAII fanatic

• 2,350 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 22:11

That's just sad, I liked ClearType - well atleast now I understand why they're using ClearType as moniker for their displays...

#322 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,983 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 22:15

It added a click:

XP: Start > Shutdown/Log Off
7: Start > (depending on your button settings) Shutdown/ Log Off (OR) > (Arrow) > Shutdown/Log Off

I already adressed this in my post. You/I/Anyone hovers over the arrow and it folds out with the options, it's not an extra click.

Moot point anyway.

#323 Elessar

Elessar

Professional Daydreamer

• 1,893 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 19:44

Just purchased "Start8". Exactly what I needed. If I had a touchscreen monitor I would fully embrace the Windows 8 Start Screen, but I don't. That pains me is the fact that all those live tiles on the Start Screen are running in the background, eating up (minimal) resources. I just wish I could disable the Start Screen altogether, instead of bypassing it on boot as Start8 does.

#324 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,203 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 14:39

I had a dream last night that I some how traded in all of the Yes votes for Mario stars and then when I was done the yes was only at 15% :(

#325 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,069 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 20:50

I'm genuinely surprised by the results of this poll. Given the number of shills on this forum I expected an overwhelming preference towards no, so when even on Neowin more say they do want the start menu than do not, you know there's something to it.

#326 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,925 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 21 February 2013 - 20:56

Yes, or least a way to change it back without third party software.. Yeah yeah I know.. all things change blah blah blah.. but i simply just like it when I am on windows.. what if osx got rid of the dock and went to a start menu.. it would be annoying to ME. just ME..

#327 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:04

I think I can say now this: There are enough samples already and the result has stabilized around 55% for those who want the startmenu back and 45% for those who don't, (quite obvious since they are mutually exclusive), a nice probability distribution has been formed... thus I doubt the results with change, overall this shows one thing, Microsoft just wanted the hell of a bit more than half of the users just because they wanted a piece of the money pie that is touch devices.

#328 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:35

I think I can say now this: There are enough samples already and the result has stabilized around 55% for those who want the startmenu back and 45% for those who don't, (quite obvious since they are mutually exclusive), a nice probability distribution has been formed... thus I doubt the results with change, overall this shows one thing, Microsoft just wanted the hell of a bit more than half of the users just because they wanted a piece of the money pie that is touch devices.

This isn't a random sampling of Windows 8 users, which would make it a much more accurate gauge of reality.

The likelihood is that most people who are happy with Windows 8 and don't care about the Start menu at all didn't even bother voting on or reading this topic. In fact, at least one poster has admitted that they've only used Windows 8 in a VM for a brief period, and they probably voted "Yes".

#329 Tech085

Tech085

Neowinian

• 905 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:39

why not. bring back the start menu lol.

#330 Setnom

Setnom

Neowinian

• 1,478 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:00

The likelihood is that most people who are happy with Windows 8 and don't care about the Start menu at all didn't even bother voting on or reading this topic. In fact, at least one poster has admitted that they've only used Windows 8 in a VM for a brief period, and they probably voted "Yes".

Do you have any evidence to support that statement?