Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

Do you want the start menu in Windows 8  

631 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

• Yes
    • No

No, It's useless. It's been superseded by a new launcher with greater functionality.

Your opinion.  I've actually used it a lot more lately as it came installed on my new notebook.  With that said, my opinion is that it is completely useless (I do not care about the updating tiles), unnecessarily takes over the desktop and is a launcher that impedes functionality.  Quick Launch is more efficient then the Start Screen at launching applications. 

Some of us would rather have a native start menu which can be enabled/disabled by preference.  Microsoft really tried to alienate its end user base by attempting to shove this unfinished (it seems) operating system down our throats.  The obvious reason (my opinion) is to increase their revenue by having people purchase applications at the Windows app store....and of course revenue from ads in applications that came with Windows 8.

It's been showing it's limitations since at least the later XP days.

:no:

I'm going to laugh so hard if Microsoft does bring it back...and then I'll move away from Windows 7.

• Like 1

Start menus is what we need back. Start screen is totally useless and inefficient way of doing things. 

I think it depends on how you use your computer. I can see the start screen being helpful for some people. I am primary a desktop user and the start screen isn't for me either. It's not a big deal since I can install third party software and get it just the way I want.

When will people at Microsoft realize that the problem isn't the Start Button or the Start Menu?

The issue is more complicated that a stupid button with a logo or a little box with icons on the bottom left corner.

I've using Windows 8 since the launch last year. Now, I'm using 8.1.

Two minutes. That is the longest time that I've been on a Metro App. And it was the Weather.

The problem people, is Metro.

Please open the eyes, and start living in the real world: That full screen UI is irrelevant on a personal computer with mouse and keyboard.

That's why people ask the start menu back. It's because NOBODY wants a Full Screen App on a computer, unless is a Desktop App maximized. it's pointless.

Cheers.

• Like 1

When will people at Microsoft realize that the problem isn't the Start Button or the Start Menu?

The issue is more complicated that a stupid button with a logo or a little box with icons on the bottom left corner.

Two minutes. That is the longest time that I've been on a Metro App. And it was the Weather.

Please open the eyes, and start living in the real world: That full screen UI is irrelevant on a personal computer with mouse and keyboard.

That's why people ask the start menu back. It's because NOBODY wants a Full Screen App on a computer, unless is a Desktop App maximized. it's pointless.

Cheers.

Um. I know a TON of industry specific users that run full screen apps 24/7. 

Um. I know a TON of industry specific users that run full screen apps 24/7. 

Metro Apps? What "Industry Specific" Metro apps are there, that are better than their Windows counterparts?

Metro Apps? What "Industry Specific" Metro apps are there, that are better than their Windows counterparts?

For example?

They're not metro apps, but when I studied meteorology, we had screens full of radar and other weather programs running full screen. When I worked retail, our systems (running Windows 7) were designed to all run fullscreen. You couldn't restore down, only maximize or minimize. In fact, our regular PCs were setup in such a way that you could compare the company's dashboard (that the systems booted into by design) to the start screen.

Do a search online and you'll see traffic controllers, flight controllers, etc all running programs full screen.

I don't really care if they bring it back. I rarely use the start menu anyway. I use the search more than anything else because it's faster . But most of the time i just click the icon on my desktop or bar.

Cheers.

Also, that's a nice little way of creating an out for yourself there, too. Too bad it doesn't work. A full screen app is still a full screen app. I guess Microsoft should remove the F11 functionality, and the maximize button since no one wants full screen functionality?

My opinion hasn't changed, if they brought it back I would be more willing to give Windows 8 a go. I just want the ability to be able to avoid Metro if I can help it.

• Like 3

It looks like the "yes" is leading the pack by 69 votes!

People will say "Well this is a tech site, we aren't the average user" ... let me tell you,

if a large number of technically inclined individuals want it back then the technically challenged DEFIANTLY wants it back.

• Like 2

People will say "Well this is a tech site, we aren't the average user" ... let me tell you,

if a large number of technically inclined individuals want it back then the technically challenged DEFIANTLY wants it back.

Not only that, but this place is a sanctuary for Windows 8 apologists; and even here the opinion is 'Yes.'

• Like 1

Running Windows 8.1 I can say that I don't really want the start menu back now. Booting to desktop + start button removed my grievances. The start screen itself is a good idea personally.

Exactly. There is no denying (rationally anyway) that a lot of people want it back. I read a rumor on Threshold, the next version of Windows, that MS is considering putting the start button back in.