Photo

Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
441 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want the start menu in Windows 8

Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#346 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,553 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 22:48

(BTW, for future reference, Start Screen != All Apps. If you're going to compare the two, then you should be comparing Start to the little space you have to pins apps to, and not the All Programs menu. If you like folders, then app grouping should be up your alley. I'm not sure why you still prefer to run around in the all apps menu, but with Start being fullscreen, you have more room to pin and organize your stuff, which should eliminate the need to ever visit the all apps section. Even on Windows 7, All Programs is no saint - it's cramped, cluttered, and featureless.)

I have literally just started on Windows 7 today (coming from XP in a corporate environment). I love the new quirks and everything else. However, what I am quoting is an individual idea. It's that simple. For some people it works, for others I can only imagine the hell I'm going to have to deal with.

Is the end user wrong by pointing out that their system no longer works the way they are used to? No. Am I supposed to turn around to those end users and say, "too bad, this is the future"? I will no longer have a job if I say that.

I appreciate progression. My major point is that - being the inbetweener - people do not want this jarring change. And that is what Windows 8 is. It's a complete change for many end users, and it is me that ends up trying to help them to do a day-to-day task.

That's wrong.

#347 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

• 1,636 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 22:51

But the point is, the Start Menu had everything all nice and organized where the Start Screen does not.....how can you guys not see that?!

#348 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,774 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 22 February 2013 - 23:10

I have literally just started on Windows 7 today (coming from XP in a corporate environment). I love the new quirks and everything else. However, what I am quoting is an individual idea. It's that simple. For some people it works, for others I can only imagine the hell I'm going to have to deal with.

Is the end user wrong by pointing out that their system no longer works the way they are used to? No. Am I supposed to turn around to those end users and say, "too bad, this is the future"? I will no longer have a job if I say that.

I appreciate progression. My major point is that - being the inbetweener - people do not want this jarring change. And that is what Windows 8 is. It's a complete change for many end users, and it is me that ends up trying to help them to do a day-to-day task.

That's wrong.

And coming off XP, you think it won't be any different? By the time you upgrade again past Windows 7, chances are your user base will have been exposed to Windows 8 if not already. They'll have it at home, seen a friend with it, etc.

But the point is, the Start Menu had everything all nice and organized where the Start Screen does not.....how can you guys not see that?!

And again, what part of Start isn't organized? I have shown you that it's not an issue, but you cannot point to a solid example that no matter what the user does, the Start Screen is hopelessly broken, and you cannot find a thing.

When I first move into a new place, it's not organized, is it? I have to take the time and organize it. It's the same with your devices.

When I look at my Start Screen, I see organization. I took the time to make my app launcher MY app launcher. That's what you're supposed to do.
Screenshot (4314).png

#349 +hedleigh

hedleigh

Neowinian

• 517 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 00:20

As for VS, if you have a user installing VS, then you have a user who knows that in a few clicks, and ten seconds, that "clutter" can be dealt with. Again, such a tragedy. Yeah, **** this mess, we should just kill this off because clearly, a few clicks and ten seconds of your time is too much for you to handle.

But I thought you were telling us that it was more organised out of the box, which it isn't!
Also wonder how you would achieve that if the right click menu was also gone.

But that's okay, you keep telling me that it's easier. I'll keep believing that it isn't.

#350 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,774 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 00:25

But I thought you were telling us that it was more organised out of the box, which it isn't!
Also wonder how you would achieve that if the right click menu was also gone.

But that's okay, you keep telling me that it's easier. I'll keep believing that it isn't.

you failed to read that post at all. I wasn't killing the right click menu at all. And look a few posts above, how is the default start screen disorganized?

#351 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,948 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:02

Install Nero, you'll soon see how deficient it's design is.

#352 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:13

When I look at my Start Screen, I see organization. I took the time to make my app launcher MY app launcher. That's what you're supposed to do.

Sorry. When I look at YOUR start screen, I see a complete mess, honestly, I do, nothing personal.

'Swipe' over a bit more, and lets see the rest, it may get better? ;)

Anyway, poll speaks for itself :)

#353 +hedleigh

hedleigh

Neowinian

• 517 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:52

you failed to read that post at all. I wasn't killing the right click menu at all. And look a few posts above, how is the default start screen disorganized?

I didn't fail at anything, it seems apparent to me though that you think people are not allowed to have their own opinions. Not once have I said you aren't entitled to your opinion, you however...

Also if the point and click mechanism is removed in the future (as you have stated), how would one go about doing this organising that you speak of without a touch screen?

#354 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,774 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:35

I didn't fail at anything, it seems apparent to me though that you think people are not allowed to have their own opinions. Not once have I said you aren't entitled to your opinion, you however...

Also if the point and click mechanism is removed in the future (as you have stated), how would one go about doing this organising that you speak of without a touch screen?

I never called for the death of the right click, just integrating it into Metro. Again, go back and read the post.

Install Nero, you'll soon see how deficient it's design is.

Why? There's better alternatives to Nero out there.

#355 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

• 1,636 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:13

Sooooo......let me get this straight. It is Nero's fault that the Start Screen gets cluttered........not Microsoft's? Your response is that there are other alternatives out there?

Geez you make it sound like Windows 8 is PERFECT and ANYBODY saying ANYTHING bad about it obviously does not know what they are doing. No OS is perfect.

Start Menu organized things ON ITS OWN. I DO NOT need to spend time organizing the Start Menu like I do with the Start Screen. It is nice and organized by default.

The fact that you keep saying "Just take the time and organize it yourself" means it is a more disorganized system. The fact that the Start Menu did all the organization itself and the Start Screen does not tells us that the Start Screen is not that useful.

#356 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,774 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:16

Sooooo......let me get this straight. It is Nero's fault that the Start Screen gets cluttered........not Microsoft's? Your response is that there are other alternatives out there?

Geez you make it sound like Windows 8 is PERFECT and ANYBODY saying ANYTHING bad about it obviously does not know what they are doing. No OS is perfect.

Start Menu organized things ON ITS OWN. I DO NOT need to spend time organizing the Start Menu like I do with the Start Screen. It is nice and organized by default.

The fact that you keep saying "Just take the time and organize it yourself" means it is a more disorganized system. The fact that the Start Menu did all the organization itself and the Start Screen does not tells us that the Start Screen is not that useful.

Does Microsoft develop Nero? No? Ok, then...

Start Screen is user customizable, as any app launcher should be.

#357 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

• 1,636 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:19

Does Microsoft develop Nero? No? Ok, then...

Ok, so Microsoft has done NOTHING wrong here? Windows 8 is the absolute perfect OS ever made? There is NOTHING wrong with it at all? If the start screen gets filled with stuff that was NICELY ORGANIZED in the Start Menu, it is in NO WAY Microsoft's fault?

Did Microsoft develop the Start Screen? Yes? Ok, then.....

They should have made the Start Screen more organized like the Start Menu

#358 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,774 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:27

Ok, so Microsoft has done NOTHING wrong here? Windows 8 is the absolute perfect OS ever made? There is NOTHING wrong with it at all? If the start screen gets filled with stuff that was NICELY ORGANIZED in the Start Menu, it is in NO WAY Microsoft's fault?

Did Microsoft develop the Start Screen? Yes? Ok, then.....

They should have made the Start Screen more organized like the Start Menu

****ty third party app development isn't Microsoft's fault. That same crap that clutters the Start Screen, clutters the Start Menu as well, but somehow that is OK? If you want to be mad, be mad at Nero. Ask them to clean up their act, because Microsoft can't control that.

Please come back when you have a better argument.

#359 +hedleigh

hedleigh

Neowinian

• 517 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:30

I never called for the death of the right click, just integrating it into Metro. Again, go back and read the post.

Okay, just did a search for the post I was sure I would find. Couldn't find it so if I'm wrong I apologise.

I still seem to remember you saying that the mouse is going to be obsolete in a future Windows environment. This was in another thread not this one. The search functions here leave a lot to be desired IMO.

#360 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

• 1,636 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:31

****ty third party app development isn't Microsoft's fault. That same crap that clutters the Start Screen, clutters the Start Menu as well, but somehow that is OK?

Please come back when you have a better argument.

Really, it clutters up the Start Menu? It is in a nice folder so it is not IN YOUR FACE all the time. With the Start Screen, you have to MANUALLY remove the stuff it pins to the Start Screen. The Start Menu showing only what 5 most recent programs by default is much better than having your 30" monitor completely filled with crap until you MANUALLY remove it from there. Then the All Apps portion of the Start Screen is ridiculous as well. The Start Menu had things in folders, sub-folders, and maybe sub-sub-folders. NICE.....ORGANIZED.....SYSTEM.