Photo

Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
441 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want the start menu in Windows 8

Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#391 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 10,766 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 13:12

No, its not necessary in any way. Hell if I think about it, I don't really even use it at work on Win7 - everything I typically need it pinned. Only thing I use it for is searching, which is done even faster with the start screen.

#392 Zlain

Zlain

Neowinian

• 842 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 13:46

Ys, I want a start MENU. No, I do not want a start BUTTON.

#393 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,602 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 13:26

If you have an app developed with poor coding practices, then yes,you may have one or two extra tiles, that take all but a few seconds to remove.

Pray tell how that is accomplished from within the new All Apps menu...

Let me also understand, any app that creates more than a single app link is using poor coding practices? If discoverability is key, why are new apps shuffled to the end of the Start Screen (where I've already had to help people 'find' it as well)?

#394 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,156 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 February 2013 - 14:32

Pray tell how that is accomplished from within the new All Apps menu...

Let me also understand, any app that creates more than a single app link is using poor coding practices? If discoverability is key, why are new apps shuffled to the end of the Start Screen (where I've already had to help people 'find' it as well)?

Why is everyone so overly concerned with the All Apps menu? For a menu that's not supposed to be largely seen often, people here are keen to pick it apart.

You act as if users just sit there and stare at their PC hoping it will do something for them. Let me tell you, my classmates at school don't do this. Maybe your generation has trouble, but mine does not. They can pick up a device and run with it in seconds. It didn't take long for friends to become familiar with Start, and if they can do it, anyone can.

But this "Woe is me, things have changed!" crap is getting old. It's been four months since release, if you're having THAT much difficulty, then perhaps computers are not for you.

#395 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 27 February 2013 - 15:33

But this "Woe is me, things have changed!" crap is getting old. It's been four months since release, if you're having THAT much difficulty, then perhaps computers are not for you.

Or perhaps not everyone likes the direction Windows 8 is taking, and should stick with 7.. like I do. Computers most definitely are for me, as I use them for a living.. but I am not willing nor wanting to get rid of the desktop as it is, and if forced to use 8 startisback would be the first thing I install.

#396 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 25,890 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 15:53

One more thing that bugs me about windows 8 and the fact that On the desktop side of things Microsoft has gone clueless when they remove the dedicated "Computer" button. On a desktop I consider "Computer" a key section of windows. Sure you can awkwardly click the new explorer button the bottom then click the very small "Computer" name on the left hand side.

It seems the only way pro windows 8 users can defend windows 8 is by saying "Use this hot key, use that hot key, just search for it, pin your stuff to your taskbar". The average user does not know about hot keys. Most average users don't even know that control + C Copies. Most never even knew their keyboard had a windows key, most probably still don't. When you open up the new start screen how does the user know they can just start typing to find something? Does Microsoft tell them? No. How about an actual search button, oh that's right, that's hidden. What about the "All programs list"? Oh that's right that's hidden too.

I'm not sure which brain cell damaged sasquatch though it was a good idea to hide all the menu's from the user on the desktop. It's something you have heard and will hear me say. It makes absolutely no sense. It's such a bad UI choice for the desktop it makes you think Microsoft did Zero user testing.

Why are we activating hidden menu's for everything on the desktop? Clearly they knew they were loosing out on the tablet market and wanted to get there as soon as possible. So instead of giving the desktop a decent user experience they hurried up finished windows 8 covered in touch and said good enough, we don't have time to refine it on the desktop we have to get it out, ship it!

Then there is the fact that during the setup Microsoft removed the option to set which timezone you are in... WTF!!. Like I said in a previous thread, I connected remotely to a woman who has had her windows 8 machine for a month and her clock was still set on Pacific standard time. Although this does fit with Windows 8 mission statement "More clicks". Instead of having a simple drop down menu during the initial setup, we have have to change it by going into the clock options.

#397 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

• 2,267 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 15:59

this "Woe is me, things have changed!" crap is getting old. It's been four months since release, if you're having THAT much difficulty, then perhaps computers are not for you.

What do you care how people like their computers? Personally, I think the Twike is kind of an awesome car.
But I wouldn't want to force it on you...

Attached Images

• twike.png

#398 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,602 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:10

Why is everyone so overly concerned with the All Apps menu? For a menu that's not supposed to be largely seen often, people here are keen to pick it apart.

You act as if users just sit there and stare at their PC hoping it will do something for them. Let me tell you, my classmates at school don't do this. Maybe your generation has trouble, but mine does not. They can pick up a device and run with it in seconds. It didn't take long for friends to become familiar with Start, and if they can do it, anyone can.

Nice dodge, again, just admit you're wrong once in awhile, it would do wonders to the temperment of the discussion. Please, tell me about those few clicks though...

So because your generation is so stupid that you can only use devices you can learn 'in a few seconds' you are going to berate others with the same you can't handle change cop out? We aren't having difficulty, we simply don't prefer it because complexity doesn't make us piddle like a scared dog.

Your thread on the Start menu is laughable simply because you have a warped, n00bish view of the use of All Programs (since as you admit, you never used it), where many actually like the utility of browsing for organized things. So please, adjust your 'tude, dude. That broken record has been skipping for much longer than four months.

#399 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 25,890 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:17

Nice dodge, again, just admit you're wrong once in awhile, it would do wonders to the temperment of the discussion. Please, tell me about those few clicks though...

So because your generation is so stupid that you can only use devices you can learn 'in a few seconds' you are going to berate others with the same you can't handle change cop out? We aren't having difficulty, we simply don't prefer it because complexity doesn't make us piddle like a scared dog.

Your thread on the Start menu is laughable simply because you have a warped, n00bish view of the use of All Programs (since as you admit, you never used it), where many actually like the utility of browsing for organized things. So please, adjust your 'tude, dude. That broken record has been skipping for much longer than four months.

Exactly, It's not that we can't use the Start Screen, we just don't want to be dumbed down

The photo on the bottom was taken from the movie "Idiocracy".

Posted Image

#400 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,156 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 February 2013 - 18:45

One more thing that bugs me about windows 8 and the fact that On the desktop side of things Microsoft has gone clueless when they remove the dedicated "Computer" button. On a desktop I consider "Computer" a key section of windows. Sure you can awkwardly click the new explorer button the bottom then click the very small "Computer" name on the left hand side.

It seems the only way pro windows 8 users can defend windows 8 is by saying "Use this hot key, use that hot key, just search for it, pin your stuff to your taskbar". The average user does not know about hot keys. Most average users don't even know that control + C Copies. Most never even knew their keyboard had a windows key, most probably still don't. When you open up the new start screen how does the user know they can just start typing to find something? Does Microsoft tell them? No. How about an actual search button, oh that's right, that's hidden. What about the "All programs list"? Oh that's right that's hidden too.

I'm not sure which brain cell damaged sasquatch though it was a good idea to hide all the menu's from the user on the desktop. It's something you have heard and will hear me say. It makes absolutely no sense. It's such a bad UI choice for the desktop it makes you think Microsoft did Zero user testing.

Why are we activating hidden menu's for everything on the desktop? Clearly they knew they were loosing out on the tablet market and wanted to get there as soon as possible. So instead of giving the desktop a decent user experience they hurried up finished windows 8 covered in touch and said good enough, we don't have time to refine it on the desktop we have to get it out, ship it!

Then there is the fact that during the setup Microsoft removed the option to set which timezone you are in... WTF!!. Like I said in a previous thread, I connected remotely to a woman who has had her windows 8 machine for a month and her clock was still set on Pacific standard time. Although this does fit with Windows 8 mission statement "More clicks". Instead of having a simple drop down menu during the initial setup, we have have to change it by going into the clock options.

Refine what on the desktop? The desktop is a subset of the Metro UI now, it was intended and purposefully designed that way from the start. And there is nothing wrong with hidden menus? Why does my screen need to be cluttered with menus? It makes no logical sense to overwhelm the user. I want my content to be the focus, not eleventy billion options cluttering my screen. And, if you wanna make the argument, you have hidden menus on ANY OS. Mac, Linux, and even Windows 7. What Windows 8 does is no different. The only thing is that I can now activate them with a swipe of the mouse or a swipe of my finger.

#401 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 25,890 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 18:50

Why does my screen need to be cluttered with menus? It makes no logical sense to overwhelm the user. I want my content to be the focus, not eleventy billion options cluttering my screen.

personally the way it was done before worked just fine. We didn't have to try to activate a hidden menu on the side of the screen. It's also touchy with the mouse. Now you'll say "well just press windows key +C". But like I said before the average user is not good with hot keys. Now all they are is frustrated.

In Fact hidden menu's and full screen content SCREAMS consumption device. Which for a tablet is fine, but this is for my desktop, I don't just want to consume information I want to be productive.

#402 King Joffrey

King Joffrey

Neowinian

• 349 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 18:52

StartDock product Start8 was download 3+ milions time and others reporting interest for start menu app for Windows 8 speek it seelf how many people wants start manu in Windows 8!

#403 slumdogtrillionaire

slumdogtrillionaire

Neowinian

• 249 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 18:58

why isnt DM banned for trolling? im sure if someone was being as adamant for 7 or xp as he is about 8 his account wouldnt have been allowed to post. Also how many people work behind the DM name tag? Doesnt seem like one guy. just saying.

#404 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,840 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 19:04

This isnt the place to discuss this kind of thing. If you are so worried about a user and what he/she does...then msg a mod/admin for assistance.

why isnt DM banned for trolling? im sure if someone was being as adamant for 7 or xp as he is about 8 his account wouldnt have been allowed to post. Also how many people work behind the DM name tag? Doesnt seem like one guy. just saying.

I recently fooled around with a Surface Pro for a couple days. The new start menu is annoying with touch or non touch devices. I am sure I will get used to it since MS is forcing it on every though.

Many other things I do not like...hard to find settings, inconsistency in the OS, and just the plain blah look of the OS.

#405 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 25,890 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 19:08

why isnt DM banned for trolling? im sure if someone was being as adamant for 7 or xp as he is about 8 his account wouldn't have been allowed to post. Also how many people work behind the DM name tag? Doesnt seem like one guy. just saying.

Actually what I just noticed is the name "Dot Matix". It's funny for a guy who is promoting change and saying we have to move forwards and can't live on old tech to have the name "Dot Matrix".

In a lot of cases Dot Matrix printers for some tasks work better than Inkjet and Lasers, which COMPLETELY goes against all he stands for :)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!