Photo

Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
441 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want the start menu in Windows 8

Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• 8,477 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 08 February 2013 - 19:50

I don't personally. I'm quite happy using one of the alternatives (like Start8).
What I want is for the Start Screen to be better, both functionality wise and with how it works with the desktop?

#47 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian Senior

• 1,592 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 21:15

It's speaks volumes about windows 8 and metro when over 40% of posters at a predominately windows site (aka neoWIN) want the start menu back.

#48 Auroka

Auroka

Neowinian

• 413 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 21:19

I don't need the start menu anymore, but having a "boot to desktop" option would be nice.

#49 hamslammer

hamslammer

Neowinian

• 241 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 21:29

Yes, indeed!!

#50 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,944 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 08 February 2013 - 21:40

It's speaks volumes about windows 8 and metro when over 40% of posters at a predominately windows site (aka neoWIN) want the start menu back.

Your point is valid but I think it's important to distinguish the posters here as experienced Desktop users. Consumers who may buy an AIO touchscreen or a tablet (not too many consumers at this point), they won't care much about the Start Menu.

I find it far more efficient and capable but not many soccer moms are going to search enough to care about how clumsy Modern UI search is, or want to quickly browse their computer from the Start Menu, or Recorded TV, or Favorites, or their Personal Folder, or the Network.

#51 contextfree

contextfree

Neowinian

• 321 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 22:02

Our biology prefers thinner columns so the smaller space of the classic menu is by no means a detriment some pretend it to be since we can only scan one at a time. The issue isn't scrolling, its finding what you want in multiple columns vs a nested single column. (It 'breaks' organization since it boils up subfolders to the main level in an effort to be friendlier to people that don't understand the organization. In practice, those people never used it that way anyway and it just frustrates those that have.)

Do you have a citation for your claims about biology? In practice I find I rarely have to "scan" the apps screen much at all because the program icon usually just jumps out at me (which is a benefit of having all the icons right on the screen and not buried in subfolders) and then I can launch it with one click instead of having to click on each subfolder (and deal with the annoying expand/contract behavior, or the frustrating flyout bottlenecks in 9x/XP). If you do want to browse by folder you can zoom out, and this works better in *some* cases but IMO the *majority* of the time the flattened view is better (especially since if you don't know the name of the program - and so can't use search - there's a good chance you don't remember which subfolder it's in either), so it's the right default.

#52 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,293 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 22:14

What is 'start menu' again? Is it the button where I click when I need to get to 'run' command or control panel?
Then NO.

#53 1ON

1ON

Neowinian

• 61 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 820

Posted 08 February 2013 - 22:18

No.

#54 Paul

Paul

.net Developer

• 2,594 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 22:20

Personally, I don't mind too much now. I'm used to the way it works, however I do think I should still be a choice for those who would prefer it.

#55 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,227 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 22:22

I like to have a simple Start menu, but I can wait for Windows 9 for them to fix it. :p

I'm getting by fine with Windows 7.

#56 mikeyjames

mikeyjames

Neowinian

• 38 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 22:43

Hey all,
Personally, I don't really care. Since XP I've rarely used the start menu anyway - unless to find some old program I hadn't used in a long time and I'd forgotten the name. I pretty much arrange my dekstop with my most used apps in groups, with those the are heavily used pinned to the taksbar . Funny thing is that I was always criticised for having too many icons on the desktop.

I still think it is a mistake on MS part to force this change on veryone though. I know for a fact that where I work there are some older people who consider themselves to be a little geeky in the tech department and nealry all are scared by the change. It's these people who will be making the decision as to whether win 8 will be deployed at work and from I can see, they plan to skip 8 completely.

There should have been an option to enable the start menu to keep people happy. Maybe make a couple of functions only accessible via the new way. This way people who don't like change could keep what they want but also be directed to use the newer way at times to help them learn and overcome their fears.

Mick

#57 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,061 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 22:45

I don't really want the start screen removed but I would like the old start menu to still be there as an option for those of us that dislike the start screen. However you're probably not going to get representative data from a community like Neowin, you'd probably get more accurate data from more neutral sources.

#58 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,749 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 23:06

people who don't like change could keep what they want but also be directed to use the newer way at times to help them learn and overcome their fears.

I wouldn't be so sure that this is merely an issue of educating the users and helping them 'overcome their fears' of the new and unknown. I mean, how come you have people like David Pogue writing:

For the longest time, this [Start] screen didn’t bother me. [...] But the more I learned to do things in Windows 8 [...] the more I realized the enormous drawback of this setup

only to come to the conclusion that

I know there are ways to restore the Start menu [...] And you should absolutely do that; it makes Windows 8 infinitely more efficient.

#59 yardmanflex

yardmanflex

Neowinian

• 688 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 08 February 2013 - 23:15

Posted Image

HELL NO!!!!

#60 l33under

l33under

Neowinian

• 40 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 23:24

Hey all,
Personally, I don't really care. Since XP I've rarely used the start menu anyway - unless to find some old program I hadn't used in a long time and I'd forgotten the name. I pretty much arrange my dekstop with my most used apps in groups, with those the are heavily used pinned to the taksbar . Funny thing is that I was always criticised for having too many icons on the desktop.

I still think it is a mistake on MS part to force this change on veryone though. I know for a fact that where I work there are some older people who consider themselves to be a little geeky in the tech department and nealry all are scared by the change. It's these people who will be making the decision as to whether win 8 will be deployed at work and from I can see, they plan to skip 8 completely.

There should have been an option to enable the start menu to keep people happy. Maybe make a couple of functions only accessible via the new way. This way people who don't like change could keep what they want but also be directed to use the newer way at times to help them learn and overcome their fears.

Mick

I agree... should have been on and off switch I don't mine changes but this was drastic change without no option to disable.