Hong Kong customs discover 2,600 live snakes

Hong Kong customs authorities investigating a shipment from Thailand marked as fruit were shocked to discover the consignment instead contained 2,600 live snakes, officials said Friday.

Customs intercepted the air cargo shipment of 2,400 common rat snakes and 200 cobras on Tuesday and returned them on Thursday, a government spokeswoman said, just days before the start of the Year of the Snake in the Chinese horoscope.

The intended fate of the snakes was not known but both species are used in southern Chinese cuisine. Snake is considered a delicacy, often served as a soup, and is believed to improve blood circulation and ward off illness.

Under Hong Kong law, anyone found guilty of smuggling cargo into the city faces imprisonment of up to seven years and a maximum fine of HK$2 million (US$250,000).

source

I don't care if snakes were the last meat on Earth -- I still wouldn't eat them.

I know :( they are so cute and cuddly why would anyone eat them :( i love my snakes they cuddle me <3

I don't care if snakes were the last meat on Earth -- I still wouldn't eat them.

Snake meat is actually rather tasty, a similar texture to chicken breasts or especially frog legs (which we're having for dinner tomorrow.)

Snake meat is actually rather tasty, a similar texture to chicken breasts or especially frog legs (which we're having for dinner tomorrow.)

Can't say I've ever had frogs legs, actually I can! :) But yes, snake meat is rather tasty and Hum, I'm fairly certain that if the choice was starvation or life, well you know what I mean.

Frog legas are great, you should try them sometime. We can either spear our own in the summer or get them at most major markets like Krogers etc. in the seafood dept.

Have never seen them over here, but then again I really haven't looked. Will have to give them a go though. Always a treat trying something new, even if it ends being not to my taste.