Bootcamp issue with Windows 8 upgrade

I have a mid-2011 iMac, which previously had Windows 7 bootcamped on a partition, and now I've tried to upgrade to Windows 8. The problem is, once I ran through the setup process on Windows and it rebooted, the screen blacks out after the Windows logo/loading screen and after about 10 seconds of furious hard drive loading noises, it reboots again. This repeats forever.

I assume it's a driver issue, but as I can't load it up to fix that, I'm at a loss. I've tried booting into safemode, but that has the same result.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Let me guess you didn't do a format and reinstall? You started the install from inside windows? That never works well and you end up bring problems from your previous OS into the new install. Mac OS on the other hand can do this or do a migration and everything works well. My advice is start the install over and do a format and reinstall on that partition. Windows 8 does work on macs well even bootcamp. As I currently type this I am on a MBP 2011 with windows 8.

You always want to do a clean install, particularly with Bootcamp. You can do this even if you have an upgrade CD.

I also suggest waiting for 10.8.3's impending release as rumor has it it will include Bootcamp drivers for Windows 8.

Thanks for the help!

I played around with the boot options and eventually got it to continue its setup process under some random string of disabling and then going into safe mode for windows setup instead of windows 8.

Short of the fact that my headphones and external monitor don't work in it, things are fine for the time being. I'm hesitant to do a format and reinstall if I don't absolutely have to, as backing up/reinstalling individual apps is always a pain, but I may rethink that once the new bootcamp drivers are released. (Not being able to use my second display is a pain)

Thanks again!