The Leftovers (Season 1)

leftovers.png

HBO is digging in for The Leftovers: Vulture hears the pay cable network is moving forward with production of a pilot for the Damon Lindelof?Tom Perrotta drama, barely six months after first putting the project in development. Based on Perrotta's 2011 novel of the same name, The Leftovers takes place in a world still reeling from a Rapture-like event three years earlier. It'll explore what happens to those left behind. Back in June, Lindelof told us he's been intrigued with the concept since he first read Perrotta's novel: "The fact that there's this reaping which occurred, and you don't make the cut, some of us don't feel worthy, seemed very ripe territory for a cool character drama." No word yet on who will direct the pilot or when production will begin. If HBO decides to order a series, the network's go-slow approach to development would indicate The Leftovers wouldn't debut until 2014 at the earliest. Reps for HBO didn't respond to an e-mail requesting comment on the pickup.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/02/damon-lindelofs-the-leftovers-is-a-go-at-hbo.html

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looked ok till the sex scenes starting flashing up in the trailer. Why do they insist on putting sex scenes in everything these day's, I'm no prude but its sure not needed and unnecessary. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was interested in this until I was watching Game of Thrones last night and a promo for this show came on before it started. The writer or director explicitly said in the promo that the show isn't going to be about the disappearance or what caused it, but rather the people that remain.

That statement pretty much killed any desire I had to watch the show. I want to know what happened and why. I don't want to watch people cope with losing a loved one. Everyone deals with that in real life. The only difference between us and the show is that a lot of people are dealing with that loss at the same time. Big whoop. It sounds so boring and pedestrian. The hook of the show is going to be marginalized or possibly ignored completely, which is a shame because that mysterious/supernatural aspect is the only thing differentiating the show.

Episode 1.01 - Pilot

Three years after millions of people suddenly vanished, police chief Kevin Garvey juggles personal and professional challenges.

Episode 1.02 - Penguin One, Us Zero

Kevin goes to a therapist; Meg tries to decide if she can let go of the past; Tom and Christine wind up in a precarious situation.

Episode 1.03 - Two Boats and a Helicopter

Rev. Matt Jamison struggles to hold onto his church in the wake of threats and debts.

Episode 1.04 - B.J. and the A.C.

Kevin encounters holiday surprises; Tom and Christine run into trouble.

Episode 1.05 - Gladys

A brutal crime puts Laurie to the test; Kevin turns down an offer of assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed this much more than The Last Ship (which I am giving another episode or two a go of).

The ending of the Pilot was quite dramatic and had me glued anyway, decent acting too. Liv Tyler showing her age though :s (I also know it requires it for her part, but ehhhhh...)

I couldn't make it through the pilot. The entire thing was a complete turn off from start to about minute 39. I was so bored and just didn't care about any of the characters. I wanted them all to disappear.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after watching the third episode last night I'm sticking with it, Chris Eccleston was the focus of EP3 and it shows again what a great actor he is.