[UK] Lottery tickets double in price

q9GlDXj.jpg

The cost of a lottery ticket is to double to ?2, leading to players threatening a boycott of the game.

The price of a Lotto line will rise in the autumn as part of a raft of changes planned by organiser Camelot.

Although the increase ? the first since 1994 ? will be offset by higher prize funds, some prize pots will be cut.

Online players were emailed to be told of ?exciting changes? to the way they play with ?even more ways to win money?.

Camelot plans to raise the payout for matching three numbers from ?10 to ?25, and four numbers from ?60 to ?100.

But the prize pot for five numbers will drop by ?500 to ?1,000, while the reward for matching five numbers and the bonus ball will halve to ?50,000.

The average Saturday jackpot will increase by ?900,000 to ?5million, while the midweek prize fund will leap to ?2.5million ? a ?300,000 rise. A new Lotto raffle will guarantee at least 50 winners ?20,000 in each draw, the company said.

Andy Duncan, of Camelot, added: ?Our players still love Lotto but after 18 years say they want more from it.?

Angry fans took to Twitter to criticise the move. @MattGarforth said: ?Price of a Lotto ticket doubling? Time to cancel my direct debit.? Another, @CosmeticCharm, said: ?Bit miffed to hear that a lotto ticket will go up to ?2, never get any numbers so it seems like waste of ?? but if I don?t play I can?t win!

Source

http://metro.co.uk/2013/01/16/lottery-tickets-double-in-price-with-higher-prize-funds-as-some-prizes-cut-3355333/

That article was from 3 weeks ago :o

:laugh: You can blame the missus, she told me just now as if it was just announced so I went looking for info

• 7 months later...

I doubt they will lose any significant number of players.  The lottery is a folly for a certain demographic, and to be perfectly frank they tend to be vocal but apathetic.