States People Are Fleeing In 2013

Long-term shifts in the U.S. economy coupled with the recent recession means Americans are more likely to pack up and move for employment-related reasons. Although the total number of residential moves is down, new data shows a clear pattern of the states that people are fleeing the fastest.

Moving company United Van Lines released its 36th annual study of customer migration patterns, analyzing a total of 125,000 moves across the 48 continental states in 2012. The study provides an up-to-date, representative snapshot of overarching moving patterns in the U.S., and reveals a mass exodus from the Northeast.

At No. 1, New Jersey has the highest ratio of people moving out compared to those moving in. Of the 6,300 total moves tracked in the state last year, 62% were outbound.

?New Jersey has been suffering from deindustrialization for some time now, as manufacturing moved from the Northeast to the South and West,? says economist Michael Stoll, professor and chair of the Department of Public Policy at the University of California, Los Angeles. ?And because it?s tied to New York, the high housing costs may also be pushing people out.?

In fact, most of the top-10 states people are leaving are located in the Northeast and Great Lakes regions, including Illinois (60%), New York (58%), Michigan (58%), Maine (56%), Connecticut (56%) and Wisconsin (55%). According to Stoll, this reflects a consistent trend of migration from the Frost Belt to the Sun Belt states based on a combination of causes.

No. 1: New Jersey

Percentage of outbound moves in 2012: 62.3%

Number of exits tracked: 3,925

No. 2: Illinois

Percentage of outbound moves in 2012: 59.5%

Number of exits tracked: 5,931

No. 3: West Virginia

Percentage of outbound moves in 2012: 57.9%

Number of exits tracked: 418

No. 4: New York

Percentage of outbound moves in 2012: 57.7%

Number of exits tracked: 5,441

No. 5: New Mexico

Percentage of outbound moves in 2012: 57.6%

Number of exits tracked: 1,313

more

im in wv and I wanna move.. hate how unfriendly it is here.. only good thing is its cheap...

Not surprised CT is in the top 10, the jobs here all generally suck, and the State seems hell bent on outdoing Cali, NY, and Mass when it comes to ridiculous laws and rights abuses, they don't seem to like being only like the 4th most screwed up and Liberal States and are shooting for higher and more screwed

Surprised California isn't in the top 5 (or even the top 10). Maybe folks are taxed so much they can not afford to move?

• Like 3

Surprised California isn't in the top 5 (or even the top 10). Maybe folks are taxed so much they can not afford to move?

Same here. I just knew it would be in the top 5. I bet it is in the top 10.

im in wv and I wanna move.. hate how unfriendly it is here.. only good thing is its cheap...

The good news for you is that you can move to another state and you can leave your router where it is now because you'll still get coverage if it's AMPED WIRELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

The good news for you is that you can move to another state and you can leave your router where it is now because you'll still get coverage if it's AMPED WIRELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELL YEAH!!!

No surprise for #1. Nobody wants to live in "dirty Jersey" except Larry. :p

HEY! NJ is a great place to live.. if you can afford the property taxes and live in a "safe" town. I left NJ for a few years... came back and will prob never leave again. I love being 45 minutes from NYC and 60 minutes from the beach.

That's probably what 'USA' in the tags means ... :rolleyes:

I meant people are just generally fleeing the United States. As in all of them.