keyboard gaming

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 13 February 2013 - 13:39

I'm curious how mechanical vs short throw laptop style affects typing speed for those of you who have gone to mechanical keyboards, especially if you have the actual numbers. That's my main concern about mechanical. I love the idea of having an old school clicky keyboard, but I just don't know if it would negatively impact my typing speed.

#32 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 13 February 2013 - 13:43

After reading a lot about the mechanical keyboard movement I'm going to switch keyboards for the first time in a long time. I'm going to try the Das Professional and see how that goes.

Really, how bad are Cherry MX Blues for gaming?

#33 +zhiVago

zhiVago

World Citizen

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 13 February 2013 - 13:46

After reading a lot about the mechanical keyboard movement I'm going to switch keyboards for the first time in a long time. I'm going to try the Das Professional and see how that goes.

(Y)

They are good...granted you have no one around to complain about the "noise" :) like if you game late at night and your wife is sleeping in the same room - only then could it be a problem.

#34 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 14:03

I'm curious how mechanical vs short throw laptop style affects typing speed for those of you who have gone to mechanical keyboards, especially if you have the actual numbers. That's my main concern about mechanical. I love the idea of having an old school clicky keyboard, but I just don't know if it would negatively impact my typing speed.

In theory it would make you faster. The idea is that you can type with a lighter touch and move on to the next key faster.

They're not, unless as noted above, you have an issue with noise. People complain about the double tap action on them, but that mostly applies to RTS games and you'd have to have a pretty high APM for that to be a big issue.

#35 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 13 February 2013 - 14:09

It's going to feel a bit weird at the beginning, once you get used to it you will note that you require less force to write, plus... as I said before, the sensation of pressing a key is far more gratifying that using any membrane keyboard. (This is a bit of a paradox, there are keyboards that are on the range price of full mechanical keyboards and the only thing they apparently offer is "style" but there is no better keyboard than mechanical ones...)

#36 Muessig

Muessig

Neowinian

Posted 13 February 2013 - 18:01

I've got the Corsair Vengeance K60 mechanical keyboard and it's hands down the best keyboard I've ever had. Sure it has MC Cherry Red switches but I don't like the clicky sound you get from the blacks and while it might not be to some people's taste (red takes less pressure to activate than blacks or blues I think) it works perfectly for gaming and whoever said that Red switches aren't good for typing a lot I tend to do a lot of typing. So much typing that I broke 2 Microsoft Ergonomic 6000 natural wireless keyboards in a couple of years. The keys wouldn't respond anymore and the text on them were worn off. The K60 has had none of these problems over the past year and still looks/feels as good as the day I got it. Solid construction and just an overall great typing experience, I've found.

#37 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 13 February 2013 - 19:32

I've got the Corsair Vengeance K60 mechanical keyboard and it's hands down the best keyboard I've ever had. Sure it has MC Cherry Red switches but I don't like the clicky sound you get from the blacks and while it might not be to some people's taste (red takes less pressure to activate than blacks or blues I think) it works perfectly for gaming and whoever said that Red switches aren't good for typing a lot I tend to do a lot of typing. So much typing that I broke 2 Microsoft Ergonomic 6000 natural wireless keyboards in a couple of years. The keys wouldn't respond anymore and the text on them were worn off. The K60 has had none of these problems over the past year and still looks/feels as good as the day I got it. Solid construction and just an overall great typing experience, I've found.

K90 User here, indeed :D

#38 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:32

So, I've been looking at mechanical keyboards for gaming and I am undecided. Sound is not an issue as my setup is in our spare bedroom but I need something that has LED lighting. Was looking at the CoolerMaster CM Storm QuickFire which has CherryMX Red switches and has 5 brightness levels. Right now newegg has it for $99, is this a good buy?

#39 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:55

So, I've been looking at mechanical keyboards for gaming and I am undecided. Sound is not an issue as my setup is in our spare bedroom but I need something that has LED lighting. Was looking at the CoolerMaster CM Storm QuickFire which has CherryMX Red switches and has 5 brightness levels. Right now newegg has it for $99, is this a good buy?

I could be wrong, but don't cooler master only do partial mechanical?

I am mobile so can't review that model.

#40 winrez

winrez

Chronic Master Debater

• OS: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit, Windows 8 64-Bit, Windows RT 8.1 (Surface)
  • Phone: Samsung Focus WP7.8/ Nokia Lumina 520

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:50

I had a G15 and after that went south I bought a G510 which has more macro keys and you can change the led colors to anything from logitechs app

#41 Jaybonaut

Jaybonaut

Neowinian

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:52

I've purchased two of the Cyborg keyboards over the last 5 years - meaning I bought a second one when I built a new computer to go with it. I like that it has an analogue headset extension built right into it - you don't find that typically. (USB, sure, but analog?)