Photo

Can someone explain why I shouldn't get an AMD FX CPU?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#16 Luc2k

Luc2k

joO 4R3 73H L337!

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:34

Insanely high power usage. Around 100-150 watts idle, and 300+ at load (and that's without overclocking). And those benchmarks are only based on a single test. I'd recommend looking at an all round review for deciding. From what I can remember they're still way below the Intel CPU's in gaming but about equal for number crunching.

I think those stats are for the whole system not just the CPU. Not fair to dump it all on it without a disclaimer.

@OP: Scratch the x1xx and x2xx because they're Bulldozer which is a bit slower and less efficient, unless you find an awesome deal or something. FXs are slower when it comes to performance per core, but as the game is more optimised for multi-threading the gap decreases. The # or cores should make them better for general usage too. Boards are also cheaper and the current socket should support next gen Steamroller, while Intel's 1155 will be replaced with 1150 for their next gen Haswell.

#17 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:35

The i5-3570k only costs about £15 more (£20 more if you go for boxed rather than OEM). It's a faster gaming CPU, and will consume a fraction of the power of an FX-8350, the effect on your electricity bill is something i'd personally advise factoring in. As far as I'm concerned it's simply a far superior choice.

I can't really afford a £175 CPU, especially considering I have to factor in the cost of a new motherboard also :(

#18 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:37

I can't really afford a £175 CPU, especially considering I have to factor in the cost of a new motherboard also :(

Then why not save up? Over the course of it's life the saving in electricity will easily offset the extra cost of the CPU (or I see you're considering a 2500k also a good choice)

I think those stats are for the whole system not just the CPU. Not fair to dump it all on it without a disclaimer.

@OP: Scratch the x1xx and x2xx because they're bulldozer which is a bit slower and less efficient, unless you find an awesome deal or something. FXs are slower when it comes to performance per core, but as the game is more optimised for multi-threading the gap decreases. The # or cores should make them better for general usage too. Boards are also cheaper and the current socket should support next gen Steamroller, while Intel's 1155 will be replaced with 1150 for their next gen Haswell.

The tests are performed in the same way for both platforms, they are still valid

#19 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:37

As I said before, and as you are looking at CPUs for gaming, I have the ancient Phenom II 965 OCd to 4GHz and I don't have any CPU bottlenecks in any games that I can think of (Running a 7870 GPU)

Everyone would love a high end Intel machine, I don't want for anything really, apart from PhysX on benchmarks but that is NVidia GPU related not CPU

#20 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:41

As I said before, and as you are looking at CPUs for gaming, I have the ancient Phenom II 965 OCd to 4GHz and I don't have any CPU bottlenecks in any games that I can think of (Running a 7870 GPU)

Everyone would love a high end Intel machine, I don't want for anything really, apart from PhysX on benchmarks

Except when comparing 2 CPU's at the same price point (8350 and 2500k) to choose a CPU that has less gaming power and consumes 3x as much power isn't being a smart consumer, it's simply insane. Pretty much the only reason to choose the 8350 over the 2500k would be if he were using his machine for programming, transcoding, or rendering. For gaming Intel CPU's beat AMD CPU's. Hands down.

#21 Luc2k

Luc2k

joO 4R3 73H L337!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:41

The tests are performed in the same way for both platforms, they are still valid

You didn't give a source in that post, explained the methodology or compared it to Intel's offering so it was a statement without context. I know what you meant, but not everybody does.

#22 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:42

Try actually reading the link I posted.

#23 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:42

Everyone would love a high end Intel machine, I don't want for anything really, apart from PhysX on benchmarks

Your phenom 2 is likely holding things back more than you think, especially with a gpu like that.

#24 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:44

Except when comparing 2 CPU's at the same price point (8350 and 2500k) to choose a CPU that has less gaming power and consumes 3x as much power isn't being a smart consumer, it's simply insane. Pretty much the only reason to choose the 8350 over the 2500k would be if he were using his machine for programming, transcoding, or rendering. For gaming Intel CPU's beat AMD CPU's. Hands down.

I'm not trying to convince AMD over Intel, the guy says he is on a budget, I'm offering my experience for AMD,

Anyone with Intel experience is more than welcome to jump in,

I posted a review of the 8350 vs a few different Intel CPUs and the AMD faired very well

I would happily swap out my entire AMD setup for an Intel high end, but a lot of us don't have that luxury ;)

#25 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:46

But as I just said the 2500k and the 8350 are the SAME PRICE. It's not high end when the 2 products are the same price.

#26 Luc2k

Luc2k

joO 4R3 73H L337!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:46

Try actually reading the link I posted.

The link came after. Also you could try reading your own link as well. How does 213=3*161 (stock) or 364=3*267 (oc)?

#27 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:49

Your phenom 2 is likely holding things back more than you think, especially with a gpu like that.

I've left a few different apps open during gaming to monitor my CPU load and I think GTAIV pulled the most from it, recently barely anything

But as I just said the 2500k and the 8350 are the SAME PRICE. It's not high end when the 2 products are the same price.

Ok, so offer OP a setup then !

We're not sizing d*cks here, we're trying to offer advice

#28 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:49

Efficiency should not be undervalued. Less power consumption = less heat = less noise. I've recently built quite a powerful Ivy Bridge system for someone and even under full CPU load it was hardly audible. If AMD CPU's really can use 200W+ under load it'll be very noisy.

#29 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:50

Ok, not 3x higher, but still a significant difference. More power consumption for less raw performance isn't an acceptable tradeoff regardless of how you pad the numbers.

Ok, so offer OP a setup then !

We're not sizing d*cks here, we're trying to offer advice

I am offering him advice... the advice that choosing a poorer performing option over a better option when paying the same money is bad :/

#30 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:57

I am offering him advice... the advice that choosing a poorer performing option over a better option when paying the same money is bad :/

And if you read my posts, I promote Intel as the better option if you have the ££ or as you say, it is the same price, so long as you are happy to buy that setup and more or less be done with upgrading without buying a new socket board for their next CPU releases