Photo

Removed xp laptop from domain

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RATiO

RATiO

Neowinian

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:51

So a friend had a laptop from a college with xp on. I removed it from the domain and it began uninstalling a load of 'managed' apps such as office. I've never came across this before so does anyone know how the name of this feature or how to configure this behavior on any domained laptop?

#2 _BeanZ_

_BeanZ_

Neowinian

Posted 10 February 2013 - 14:06

If software is installed by Group Policy, it can be configured to automatically uninstall when the Policy is removed.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102

#3 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 25

Posted 10 February 2013 - 14:30

I have not seen gpo uninstall when disjoined. It probably is some sort of license management client that is doing that. Which one, who knows, there are a few. You may not even have access to the client, could be a dll or exe that is hidden from task manager an no uninstaller in add remove programs.

#4 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 10 February 2013 - 14:46

they could have script that the domain server sends during the disjoin function that tells it to remove certain apps.

#5 OP RATiO

RATiO

Neowinian

Posted 10 February 2013 - 15:13

they could have script that the domain server sends during the disjoin function that tells it to remove certain apps.

I wasn't connected to the network when I disjoined

#6 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 10 February 2013 - 16:13

It's normal if the installation was performed by group policy membership (Since removing the laptop from the domain, you not longer fulfil the group policy requirements) or via an SCCM advertised install. No extra scripts are necessary.

You would of course be better reinstalling the OS as you probably no longer adhere to the licensing agreement used for that copy of Windows XP.