• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 OP Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 4 PA 4.2.1 / iPhone 5

Posted 12 February 2013 - 14:53

Because why do people dual boot? I have already put workstation on the surface but in also a bare metal kind of a guy and someone needed to have this fun. Im just lucky its me

#32 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 February 2013 - 16:47

I don't know why peopel dual boot, it make sno sense today, 10 years ago it did, and even then I never did, I played around with secondary OS' for a week or two, before I realized. why would I boot to an alternative OS to do stuff I can do in my primary, and not be able to do everything I can do in my primary.

and having to wait between boots to do them, and not be able to use my main programs while I play around. meanwhile VM's allow me to keep using my main OS while using every app and near full speed in ANY OS at the same time in VM's

Multi booting just doesn't make sense any more. i's a waste of time and resources and most of all an aggravation. "OMG, I need to do xxx which is on the other OS, need to reboot back there, do it, then reboot to keep messing with this".

#33 OP Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 4 PA 4.2.1 / iPhone 5

Posted 12 February 2013 - 19:36

I don't know why peopel dual boot, it make sno sense today, 10 years ago it did, and even then I never did, I played around with secondary OS' for a week or two, before I realized. why would I boot to an alternative OS to do stuff I can do in my primary, and not be able to do everything I can do in my primary.

and having to wait between boots to do them, and not be able to use my main programs while I play around. meanwhile VM's allow me to keep using my main OS while using every app and near full speed in ANY OS at the same time in VM's

Multi booting just doesn't make sense any more. i's a waste of time and resources and most of all an aggravation. "OMG, I need to do xxx which is on the other OS, need to reboot back there, do it, then reboot to keep messing with this".

Well I'm glad it doesn't work for you but for me i have no problem dual booting especially on the surface. Ill most likely use Linux 75%+ of the time because of work and at home ill use windows 8.

Actually on a work trip right now for the day and I'm enjoying getting use to the real windows 8 and getting visual studio set up so i can start developing. I didn't bother putting windows 8 on my desktop cause even after the RTM it has god awful multi monitor support. Also i still believe metro is made for touch and that's one reason i love my surface RT.

This was also to see how Linux support was (which is why i used one of the most popular distros) and to see if i can then precede to put mint and enjoy it like i enjoy Linux, the mint flavor.

So, while you might not like it. Some of us do. I also did it for sheer entertainment and to see how it would work overall.

UPDATE:Ubuntu does ndiswrapping and i have the inf file for the wireless driver. When i get home and steal the pro again, ill try "installing" it and we will see how it works.

#34 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 13 February 2013 - 17:55

I'm not really surprised you got it working, the pro is just another pc in the end, just in a different package. One thing that might be interesting to test out though would be the difference between Win8 and Ubuntu with battery life. I figure you'll get more on win8 but it'd be interesting to see what battery life Ubuntu can give you.

#35 anyweb

anyweb

Neowinian

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:00

for those of you interested in imaging your Surface Pro with Windows 8 Enterprise by using Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 please see this step by step guide. Hopefully it helps,
cheers
niall

#36 Haukeberg

Haukeberg

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:06

Want to install Windows 8 enterprise on Surface or any other OS for that matter...

Complete guide here from Microsoft here. Adapted from an internal email recipe i got.
Hope it helps

http://haukeberg.wor...on-surface-pro/

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!