Poll: Violent videogames more dangerous than guns

Apparently, violent videogames are more dangerous than guns. That's what 67 percent of Republicans think, anyway. Over two thirds of those surveyed in a recent national poll believe plastic discs are a "bigger safety threat in America" than deadly projectile weapons. Only 14 percent found the opposite to be true, while the remaining 19 percent were unsure.

These are just opinions, of course. If there's anything the climate debate has taught us over the past decade it's that science doesn't have much of a place in modern American politics. Despite the complete lack of empirical evidence to support theories alleging videogames cause violent behavior, politicians and pundits in the media continue to drum up fear and paranoia in the public and vilify things they obviously don't understand.

National Survey Results [Public Policy Polling]

Read more at:

http://www.destructoid.com/poll-violent-videogames-more-dangerous-than-guns-244496.phtml#PFbM0FxUObqzb2GZ.99

I love the part where 19% are unsure. Really? You're not sure whether the thing that has zero evidence connecting it to real world harm and the thing that has killed 100s of millions of people, perhaps billions, since its creation is more dangerous?

Fascinating.

So having some pretend guns is worse than having some real ones. Genius

It reminds me of when they were talking about banning toy guns in the U.S.

I can see where Violent Video Games can be the problem

What if someone Threw a PS3/Xbox controller at you.. (or Strangled you with the Controller Cable :p)

I can see where Violent Video Games can be the problem

What if someone Threw a PS3/Xbox controller at you.. (or Strangled you with the Controller Cable :p)

The only way games cause violence is when you have poor level design/unbalanced AI which makes you rage-quit :p

• Like 9

It still baffles me as to how people can think that video games are the driving force behind violent crimes. The percentage of people who play said games versus the percentage of those people who commit crimes, let alone violent crimes, is so miniscule it borders on retarded.

• Like 2

It still baffles me as to how people can think that video games are the driving force behind violent crimes. The percentage of people who play said games versus the percentage of those people who commit crimes, let alone violent crimes, is so miniscule it borders on retarded.

Only borders on? You're being too kind.

I think one problem is the ubiquity of video games. It is likely someone who does commit a horrifically violent probably played video games, but only because a hell of a lot of people play them. They probably also ate hamburgers, had sex, masturbated, watched reality T.V., watched violent movies at the cinemas etc.

• Like 1

I have played every COD game made plus Battlefield and I have no desire to kill anyone.

Except the authors of this stupid report. I would make an exception for them.

The question was actually "What do you think is a bigger safety threat in America: guns or violent video games?". It doesn't go into detail by asking how big, and what kind, of a threat they believe it actually posses.

Also, they didn't only poll republicans, so it's not just republicans who believe this. In fact looking at the numbers... 86% of those people who describe them selves as "Very Liberal" said chose video games over guns. The other 14% chose not sure (nobody chose guns). But sure we can read into these numbers however we want.

• Like 2

Games are not dangerous, neither are guns. Its the morons who misuse the guns and the idiots who cannot tell real life from fantasy. Games and guns are just a cop out for those who do something wrong, and those who need something to blame.

Remember when they told us playing this would make us all violent:

Fun times.

One of my favs from back in the day. Had all the finishing moves memorized and played it every day after school on my 386sx system. Funny how I didnt turn out a criminal or someone running around ripping people's heads off our hearts out.