Poll: Violent videogames more dangerous than guns

polling guns video games republican public policy polling

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#46 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,178 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:11

well, American Football, Boxing, Ice-Hockey, Pro-Wrestling also can be viewed violent.
in some countries Pro-Wrestling are also banned from TV airtime.

i like that show though.

#47 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:12

Mario promotes eating shooms though. Ban Mario IMO.

If Mario is dangerous, then we really need to do something about Lemmings

#48 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:19

Study links aggression, not violence. It's also a self-reported studdy. I don't know how much we can trust the reliable reporting of a teenager about agression and behaviour.

It takes into account other factors like gender, divorce and smoking dope. It would also be interesting to know about neglect, domestic violence, sexual assault etc. All things which could explain the aggressive behaviour. Ultimately it doesn't solve the issue of whether video games cause violence or whether kids with violent dispositions are more inclined to play violent games.

It's also worth noting that competitive behavior seems to be the thing that encourages aggression. Which actually makes sense if you've ever played a sport.

Violence doesn't just magically happen out of nowhere. Aggressive people are more likely to be violent. Like I said, its just one of many factors that lead to violence. Someone who is 100% non aggressive and barely any negative influences such as domestic violence, isn't going to be effected the same way. Stop trying to say that I am saying video games is the sole cause. It is one of many influences. I know a few people that have been victims of domestic violence and a girl who was raped. They haven't gone out and killed anyone though. Does that mean those aren't factors to lead to violence like you seem to be suggesting?

#49 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

• 3,796 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:32

Ahem... where's the poll? I feel cheated now.

#50 OP compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,988 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:43

Violence doesn't just magically happen out of nowhere. Aggressive people are more likely to be violent. Like I said, its just one of many factors that lead to violence. Someone who is 100% non aggressive and barely any negative influences such as domestic violence, isn't going to be effected the same way. Stop trying to say that I am saying video games is the sole cause. It is one of many influences. I know a few people that have been victims of domestic violence and a girl who was raped. They haven't gone out and killed anyone though. Does that mean those aren't factors to lead to violence like you seem to be suggesting?

When did I say you were?

Where did I say "ILikeTobacco is accusing video games of being the sole cause of violence"? *looks back over earlier posts* Can't find one instance where I said that or anything that could be construed as that.

As far as the domestic violence/rape comment goes: we know those things can predict agressive or violent behaviour. It can also predict drug abuse and self-harm. I didn't say everyone who is a victim turns out that way.

Why do I have to elaborate on that?

#51 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:50

Any excuse? Fact, criminals in the USA have guns. Fact, when guns are 100% banned, criminals have more guns and use them more openly.

85 gun deaths compared to 11,000 in the US in 2011.

The US has 4.8 intentional homicides per 100,000 citizens, compared to 1.2 in the UK.

Guns don't seem to be working out for you guys and please don't start with the "but.....but.......different cultures" nonsense.

#52 StrikedOut

StrikedOut

Outside the box

• 865 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:53

Are video games more dangerous than guns? No. But bad parenting is.

#53 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

• 1,489 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:55

Since the wording all one-sided:

They are implying that the "plastic discs" are more of a force to the mentality and behavior.

I would agree.

Meanwhile, "deadly projectile weapons" must have an operator behind them in order to operate. You don't want someone with a bad mentality and bad behavior, with a gun, in the same room with you, do you?

The article is valid, it's all in the wording. Most of you are mindlessly overlooking the point.

"The pen is mightier than the sword"

#54 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:56

85 gun deaths compared to 11,000 in the US in 2011.

The US has 4.8 intentional homicides per 100,000 citizens, compared to 1.2 in the UK.

Guns don't seem to be working out for you guys and please don't start with the "but.....but.......different cultures" nonsense.

• Ignored the declining number of intentional homicides, not up like your theory would suggest should be happening. More people have guns than ever, and yet the rates continue to fall.
  • Ignored that everyone guns have been banned in the USA, intentional homicides skyrocketed instead of going down, which the rest of the nation continues to do.
Until you stop ignoring facts, you have no credible points.

#55 draklin

draklin

Neowinian

• 1,092 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 19:04

• Ignored that everyone guns have been banned in the USA, intentional homicides skyrocketed instead of going down, which the rest of the nation continues to do.

Can you provide some sources on that?

#56 OP compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,988 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 11 February 2013 - 19:09

Since the wording all one-sided:

They are implying that the "plastic discs" are more of a force to the mentality and behavior.

I would agree.

I'd argue America's gun culture has a far more negative effect on mentality and behaviour. Look how some pro-gun people on this forum talk about guns: it's like the be all and end all of their lives. The slightest suggestion of restriction or regulation makes them froth at the mouth. Go to gun forums or pro-gun websites and see some of the delusional ranting.

#57 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 19:10

Can you provide some sources on that?

Washington, DC and Chicago come to mind. Well known facts that people like TLOM tend to ignore.

#58 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 19:10

• Ignored the declining number of intentional homicides, not up like your theory would suggest should be happening. More people have guns than ever, and yet the rates continue to fall.
Until you stop ignoring facts, you have no credible points.

Neither do you, you blindly defend your country to the hilt. North America has more intentional homicides than the WHOLE of Western Europe.

#59 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 19:14

I'd argue America's gun culture has a far more negative effect on mentality and behaviour. Look how some pro-gun people on this forum talk about guns: it's like the be all and end all of their lives. The slightest suggestion of restriction or regulation makes them froth at the mouth. Go to gun forums or pro-gun websites and see some of the delusional ranting.

Nobody ever talks about "slightest restriction or regulation. The most common topic is banning semi-automatic weapons, which happens to be further than the ban in the UK even goes. The anti-gun nuts on this forum want full bans of anything useful, not just slight restrictions. BTW, guns are already 100% illegal for criminals and the mentally ill. The only people left are the people that aren't the problem. The only possible restriction left is a complete ban.

Neither do you, you blindly defend your country to the hilt. North America has more intentional homicides than the WHOLE of Western Europe.

A. you just admitted that you are willingly ignoring the facts for the sake of argument. B. I never said they didn't but the situation is improving unlike what you say. Fact, it makes it worse in the US. You are ignoring history and what has already been tried. I am not defending my country. I am defending my right to protect myself. You are arguing I have no right to live and you don't even know it. Fact, criminals have guns and no amount of laws has ever changed that in this country. It has only made it worse. You are arguing only criminals should be allowed to have guns.

#60 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 19:15

Nobody ever talks about "slightest restriction or regulation. The most common topic is banning semi-automatic weapons, which happens to be further than the ban in the UK even goes. The anti-gun nuts on this forum want full bans of anything useful, not just slight restrictions. BTW, guns are already 100% illegal for criminals and the mentally ill. The only people left are the people that aren't the problem. The only possible restriction left is a complete ban.

How is it further than the ban in the UK goes. An every day citizen can't own a handgun, shotgun or rifle without a valid reason, self defence isn't a reason when 99% of criminals don't have guns. The only reason your criminals have guns is because its so easy to get them in your country. Why apply for a gun when you can break into someones home and steal one.