polling guns video games republican public policy polling

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#61 draklin

draklin

Neowinian

• 1,089 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 19:15

Washington, DC and Chicago come to mind. Well known facts that people like TLOM tend to ignore.

Picking a city name to defend a point is not valid. What I was looking for was something that had dates and number of deaths per year or some studies. You know, something like on 2002, DC banned guns and the number of deaths went from 3 to 3000. Basically, something concrete that you could use to actually defend your point.

#62 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

• 4,337 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 19:16

i'd agree with it. with games being ever more realistic games, especially FPS, can desensitize a person to violence. The most dangerous thing on earth is the human mind. A gun is just a useless hunk of metal without someone to pull the trigger.

#63 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 19:23

How is it further than the ban in the UK goes. An every day citizen can't own a handgun, shotgun or rifle without a valid reason, self defence isn't a reason when 99% of criminals don't have guns. The only reason your criminals have guns is because its so easy to get them in your country. Why apply for a gun when you can break into someones home and steal one.

But you can have a gun. You are arguing for a full ban on weapons though. In another thread you said you supported the recent efforts for gun bans, which include automatic weapons. For the ignorant, that means all weapons other than bolt action rifles which are only good for hunting and provide no protection in areas such as Alaska, were bear attacks is a very real threat, or Oklahoma where coyotes and mountain lions are constantly killing stock. You continue to ignore the facts. You readily admitted to it. You are still arguing only criminals have a right to use guns and that I have no right to protection. This conversation is done.

#64 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 19:29

But you can have a gun. You are arguing for a full ban on weapons though. In another thread you said you supported the recent efforts for gun bans, which include automatic weapons. For the ignorant, that means all weapons other than bolt action rifles which are only good for hunting and provide no protection in areas such as Alaska, were bear attacks is a very real threat, or Oklahoma where coyotes and mountain lions are constantly killing stock. You continue to ignore the facts. You readily admitted to it. You are still arguing only criminals have a right to use guns and that I have no right to protection. This conversation is done.

No I can't have a gun because I don't have a valid reason, police, army, pest controllers, farmers, can all apply for a firearms licence. I can probably waste my money putting a gun safe in and cost of applying for a licence but I am HIGHLY unlikely to get one.

I do support a full gun ban, if this isn't feasible then I support massive restrictions and lots of red tape you have to jump through hoops for.

What facts am I ignoring, the FACT that the US has 4x more intentional homicides per 100,000 people than the WHOLE of Western Europe which has over 100m more people population wise but also the strictest gun control?

Does the government allow criminals to buy guns? If not how do they have a "right" to them?

#65 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,262 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 19:32

I love the part where 19% are unsure. Really? You're not sure whether the thing that has zero evidence connecting it to real world harm and the thing that has killed 100s of millions of people, perhaps billions, since its creation is more dangerous?

Fascinating.

You obviously haven't heard about dem disc throwing ninjas :(

#66 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 19:57

I've been killing real life Nazi's for years. Got my first kill on a game... After that, I had to have more and more. Now I travel the world, hunting Nazi's. Once I finish my spaceship... Beware aliens! :p

#67 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 20:56

What facts am I ignoring, the FACT that the US has 4x more intentional homicides per 100,000 people than the WHOLE of Western Europe which has over 100m more people population wise but also the strictest gun control?

Does the government allow criminals to buy guns? If not how do they have a "right" to them?

How many times do I have to say the same thing only for you to ignore it every time. Every time we ban guns, gun homicides go up, not down, while everyone else where it isn't banned, it goes down. Those are facts that you continue to ignore in this thread and all others. You also ignore the fact that the only person responsible for your safety in the US is you. Lets through a new fact into the mix. It is now possible for anyone with a 3d printer to print most of a gun, and within a few years, and entire gun. That is a reusable gun. Single fire weapons are already possible to be printed. But hey, I am sure you will ignore that too.

Criminals give themselves the right to do anything that way. It doesn't mean they get away with it without consequence, but the law has no bearing on their actions. The government gets its power from its citizens. Criminals don't recognize that power as legitimate, hence they have the right to do whatever they want. Laws don't apply to criminals when they make decisions. Stop pretending it does. We have banned guns before. It had the exact opposite effect of what you are claiming would happen. Come up with a real solution that isn't about giving criminals an advantage and you won't be considered a nutcase that is against having the right to protect yourself.

#68 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:38

How many times do I have to say the same thing only for you to ignore it every time. Every time we ban guns, gun homicides go up, not down, while everyone else where it isn't banned, it goes down. Those are facts that you continue to ignore in this thread and all others. You also ignore the fact that the only person responsible for your safety in the US is you. Lets through a new fact into the mix. It is now possible for anyone with a 3d printer to print most of a gun, and within a few years, and entire gun. That is a reusable gun. Single fire weapons are already possible to be printed. But hey, I am sure you will ignore that too.

Criminals give themselves the right to do anything that way. It doesn't mean they get away with it without consequence, but the law has no bearing on their actions. The government gets its power from its citizens. Criminals don't recognize that power as legitimate, hence they have the right to do whatever they want. Laws don't apply to criminals when they make decisions. Stop pretending it does. We have banned guns before. It had the exact opposite effect of what you are claiming would happen. Come up with a real solution that isn't about giving criminals an advantage and you won't be considered a nutcase that is against having the right to protect yourself.

You tell me I ignore FACTS, you just completely ignored the first part of my post.

Why are you banging on about 3D printed weapons, that is a possible threat here yet our gun homicide stats stay low.

You have banned guns in some states and you expected gun stats to go down?

I've already said it in another thread but banning guns in a few states is like patching up 3 holes in a dam and wondering why water is still escaping from the other 40odd holes. For a gun ban to be effective you need a ban in ALL states and a gun amnesty where people can turn their weapons into the government in exchange for cash and then having HEAVY punishments just for being in possession of a firearm let alone firing one.

No ones saying you can't protect yourself, the rest of the world doesn't hide behind a gun to do it.

You Americans sure like to use the word "rights" a lot, your country is still an infant stumbling its way through the world, hopefully one day it will grow up.

#69 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,777 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:30

if there any non-american dissing americans for her guns,
look at Second Amendment history: http://en.wikipedia....es_Constitution

though I personaly believe the second amendment can't be applied to any other countries beside U.S.A,
trying to do so will fail miserably.

to add conspiracy flavors: http://www.cuttinged...News/n1877b.cfm

#70 cryptonym

cryptonym

Neowinian

• 24 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:52

Of course there are some games which not everyone can play. But parents should take care of it. I recently found "Spec Ops The Line" and it's damn bloody game.

#71 Orange

Orange

Oh Yes!

• 7,327 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3/ Google Nexus 7 Tablet

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:55

As games comes become more popular and nearly everyone is playing them. It's so easy to blame them. I think it's sick. Alot of it comes only from America. Game's don't kill people. Everything is a blame game and easy to blame something that is so popular. I have never once wanted to kill some one because i played a game. I was playing doom when i was 12.. Never made me go insane.

#72 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,573 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 21:50

i'd agree with it. with games being ever more realistic games, especially FPS, can desensitize a person to violence.

I think that's absolute drivel. Anyone with a solid grip on reality is not going to turn into a mad man from playing video game, watching movies, listening to music, or reading comic books.

#73 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:44

i'd agree with it. with games being ever more realistic games, especially FPS, can desensitize a person to violence. The most dangerous thing on earth is the human mind. A gun is just a useless hunk of metal without someone to pull the trigger.

Most of us know the difference. It's only a few that can't tell the difference. It's not right to punish the major who do know the difference because of a minority that does not.

#74 Topkung AC

Topkung AC

Neowinian

• 18 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:32

Are you kidding me? lol

If game is dangerous so what about violence movies?

#75 OP Juddy

Juddy

formerly compl3x

• 7,789 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 19 February 2013 - 18:55

Also gotta watch out for that swing dancing and rock 'n' roll. I heard that causes all types of social evils :rolleyes:

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!