Windows 8 - UASP, can't wait

In case you didn't know. Windows 8 has native driver support for UASP (USB Attached SCSI protocol) which can as much as double read and/or write speeds on USB devices that support it.

I have a Digital Storm Bolt on the way with an ASUS motherboard that supports it, and my year old Thremaltake Max 5G USB 3.0 enclosure supports it. Windows 8 gave me noticeable USB performance improvement, though benchmarks only show 5% it feels like much more.

I can't wait to see the performance increase with UASP. In the Enterprise you have to play it safe and watch costs, so I play at home.

There's a lot of goodness under the Windows 8 hood.

In case you didn't know. Windows 8 has native driver support for UASP (USB Attached SCSI protocol) which can as much as double read and/or write speeds on USB devices that support it.

I have a Digital Storm Bolt on the way with an ASUS motherboard that supports it, and my year old Thremaltake Max 5G USB 3.0 enclosure supports it. Windows 8 gave me noticeable USB performance improvement, though benchmarks only show 5% it feels like much more.

I can't wait to see the performance increase with UASP. In the Enterprise you have to play it safe and watch costs, so I play at home.

There's a lot of goodness under the Windows 8 hood.

So true, few people bother to look past the front end stuff though.

START SCREEN BAD DUHHHH! Pretty much it.

Wouldn't go back to 7 now. Still have it in a VM. Good enough.

Real happy with Windows 8. I installed Start8 and use both the traditional desktop and "Metro", I have the best of both worlds.

W8 seems to be faster and has some nice Admin features.

Will be interested to hear your results with UASP.

• 3 weeks later...

Just though I'd follow up and affirm the native UASP support in Windows 8. Got my new toy, Digital Storm Bolt up and the Thermaltake Max 5G external loaded the native USB attached SCSI driver. Nice! My old 2TB drive can't push it, the only significant increase was a 17% burst rate increase and a .2% lower CPU overhead (typical SCSI).

Now time to go SSD external and UASP flash drives.

Without a doubt, under the hood and the Windows 8 Desktop Environment is the best Windows yet!

No point having a super-charged 12litre V8 under the hood if the doors and wheels are falling off

• Like 3

No point having a super-charged 12litre V8 under the hood if the doors and wheels are falling off

haha, I get your point but Windows 8 is more like having a super-charged 12 liter V8 with a bad paint job. You just ignore the paint job and floor it!

haha, I get your point but Windows 8 is more like having a super-charged 12 liter V8 with a bad paint job. You just ignore the paint job and floor it!

lol, it had more than a bad paint job when it was on this machine, its fine on my laptop, was a mess on here though, everything broke, sparkplugs popped out, fan belt snapped, and a pigeon papped on the windscreen

• Like 2