bin laden navy seal

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 20:27

It is a well known fact the Nuke bombing of Japan saved probably 1 million or more lives An invasion of Japan would have meant first, bombardment from warships and then the invasion. There would have been untold civilian causalities all over Japan and not just two cities. Now back to the OP please.

That's not a fact. The Japanese were already in talks for surrender and that bomb was just a show of power to Russia.

"I had been in touch with certain Japanese.... They...were ready to surrender provided the Emperor could be saved so as to have unity in Japan. I took that word to Secretary (of State) Stimson at Potsdam July 20, 1945...." - Allen Dulles, CIA Officer.
Something like 3 weeks before Nagasaki & Hiroshima were bombed.

"I personally knew about this as a result of an informal meeting with General Leslie Groves [director of the Manhattan Project]. He said
to me, “You realize, of course, that the whole purpose of this is to subdue the Russians.”
So it was clear that the Cold War had already started during the hot war [World War II]. " - Joseph Rotblat, Manhattan Project scientist.

#62 Kalint

Kalint

Neowinian Senior

• 1,896 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 20:33

In a Tom Clancy novel, I suppose.

Perhaps its unlikely. But if you were him would you take the chance? I'd say not.

#63 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,564 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 12 February 2013 - 20:34

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato

#64 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 20:41

I generally agree that the nukes were more of a "look what we've got, World!" move than to force surrender. I mean, the US had already been firebombing Japan, and some of those bombing raids were more devastating than the nukes were... they could have continued with those if they had wanted to just cause destruction.

Perhaps its unlikely. But if you were him would you take the chance? I'd say not.

I'm not sure what kind of protection would make you feel safe from terrorists and also not make you feel like you lived in your own prison. But really, the odds of him dying in a terrorist attack are about the same as the odds that you or I will.

#65 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

• 3,931 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 20:44

Edit: Or is this one of those parts of the Constitution that you don't believe applies anymore while you complain that no one else follows the Constitution? It's so easy to pick and choose the parts you like and then throw a fit when others do the same.

Exactly what part of the Constitution are you referring to here?

#66 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 20:46

And supporters of Bin Laden would say he wasn't given much choice either, as there was no way he could engage the US in a traditional military confrontation. The point is Truman decided to kill innocent civilians in order to protect the lives of US soldiers - it was a cowardly, yet effective, way to end the war. In many ways it's very similar to the current US policy of drone strikes. The US foreign policy has cost dramatically more innocent lives than Al-Qaeda and the Taliban combined, yet it is Bin Laden who is painted as the evil monster because the chain of command of the US military absolves any one person from the actions of the whole.

I don't think that killing Bin Laden is worthy of respect; bringing him in alive certainly would have been.

A hypothetical is not a fact.

You obviously are not old enough to actually take in what went on during WWII. Look up The Bataan Death March.

https://www.google.c...iw=1920&bih=952

If I were Truman I would have Nuked Tokyo. The Japanese were nothing more than savages back then.

#67 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,564 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 20:53

#68 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 20:55

^A fictional Movie.

#69 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,564 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 21:17

^A fictional Movie.

The story, although fictional, is based on the true events that took place during the Cuban missile crisis in 1962.

http://lokoyizone.hu...ehind-The-Movie

#70 Empyrean Glow

Empyrean Glow

Neowinian

• 44 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 12 February 2013 - 23:44

I'm not sure what kind of protection would make you feel safe from terrorists and also not make you feel like you lived in your own prison. But really, the odds of him dying in a terrorist attack are about the same as the odds that you or I will.

The average US citizen has a higher probability of being killed by running their car into a deer, than being killed during a terrorist attack.

I shall now patiently await our 'War on Deer' government initiative...

#71 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,564 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:17

The average US citizen has a higher probability of being killed by running their car into a deer, than being killed during a terrorist attack.

I shall now patiently await our 'War on Deer' government initiative...

Tell that to the people of 9/11

#72 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:14

Which should mean it would be a pretty easy trial, right?

Edit: Or is this one of those parts of the Constitution that you don't believe applies anymore while you complain that no one else follows the Constitution? It's so easy to pick and choose the parts you like and then throw a fit when others do the same.

I have no idea of what you are getting at. I follow all parts of The US Constitution.

#73 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:53

Tell that to the people of 9/11

Still, he is right about the average American citizen. Obviously no fact will apply to everyone.