What was your initial reaction to Windows 8?

"This is retarded, where is the start button, why is this a tablet UI on a desktop?"

I still feel this way.

This.

I bumbled around for a week or so, and thought, you know what? Screw this, I'm over trying to re-learn everything I know about Windows to make this BS work FOR ME. My refund from Microsoft hit my account 2 days later.

• Like 2

This.

I bumbled around for a week or so, and thought, you know what? Screw this, I'm over trying to re-learn everything I know about Windows to make this BS work FOR ME. My refund from Microsoft hit my account 2 days later.

I know... hot corners are such a difficult concept that they take weeks to master /s

Go bumble around learning 4 finger gestures on iOS.

I know... hot corners are such a difficult concept that they take weeks to master /s

Go bumble around learning 4 finger gestures on iOS.

Oh, I'm meant to like it because you do?

This.

So what happens 10 years from now, when everything you know is depreciated or gone?

So what happens 10 years from now, when everything you know is depreciated or gone?

Microsoft forcing consumers to use the Start Screen on a desktop computer = Ford deciding that from now, they will only use squared wheels on their cars. :)

I'll buy a Honda, but thanks anyway and have fun!

Microsoft forcing consumers to use the Start Screen on a desktop computer = Ford deciding that from now, they will only use squared wheels on their cars. :)

I'll buy a Honda, but thanks anyway and have fun!

And Desktop Linux and Mac OS aren't doing the same? You can see the evolution in their desktops too. Either way you look at it, the point and click UI isn't holding much water anymore. I can guarantee you'll be seeing more device neutral UI's in the next few years from all parties.

And Desktop Linux and Mac OS aren't doing the same? You can see the evolution in their desktops too. Either way you look at it, the point and click UI isn't holding much water anymore. I can guarantee you'll be seeing more device neutral UI's in the next few years from all parties.

We'll see...

We don?t subscribe to the vision that the OS for iPhones and iPads should be the same as Mac. Customers want iOS and Mac OS X to work together seamlessly, not to be the same, but to work together seamlessly.

I move to something else that works better for my needs. Simple really. Like anything in life.

We'll see...

They've got a LONG way to go to achieve that. Part of that will require a UX overhaul. There's no escaping it.

How do you know it will be?

I don't. But I can tell you, with multiple devices on the market, and more on the way, ALL including new UX technologies, that the desktop is all but done for. There's a booming market out there, and it will only serve to change things at a quicker pace than ever before.

I don't. But I can tell you, with multiple devices on the market, and more on the way, ALL including new UX technologies, that the desktop is all but done for. There's a booming market out there, and it will only serve to change things at a quicker pace than ever before.

I agree we are in a post desktop world. However, the desktop will be with us for many years yet and will never die completely, just like we still have a few mainframes still around. The death will be slow and painful because we don't have a suitable replacement just yet. Tablets are not there just yet.

I know you love Windows 8 and there is nothing wrong with that. However, many of us like the way we work now and there is nothing wrong with that either. Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 2

Microsoft forcing consumers to use the Start Screen on a desktop Computer...

In ten years?

I would not bet one cent on the classic "Desktop" view.

I can pin a Metro app to the left desktop side already. Why it should be not possible to pin another app to the right side and one at the bottom? In the remaining area you can open e.g. MS Word. Something like this.

In ten years?

I would not bet one cent on the classic "Desktop" view.

I can pin a Metro app to the left desktop side already. Why it should be not possible to pin another app to the right side and one at the bottom? In the remaining area you can open e.g. MS Word. Something like this.

Yeah, it's called a tiling window manager.

post-5569-0-38954300-1360910087.png

• Like 2

My Arch Install doesn't feel ANYTHING like windows 8. I have a regular start menu, regular task bar, regular windowing system.. without having to switch into a mode to do it. I can also customize the sheit out of it without needing to apply hacks or mods.

i for one was interested int he change, much like how win3.1 changed so much to win95 and so on and so forth getting all the way here,its been fun and ive enjoyed shoing friends how to use it and they are starting to like it now also

havnt really found anything i dont like yet =]

I was very excited when I saw the new Start Screen. Conceptually, its the culmination of 15 years of Microsoft UI prototypes.

The actual implementation and day-to-day use however indicates a product hat hasn't fully matured. This is to be expected ? its new. The start screen applications lack in functionality. In its quest for performance, font rendering has been sacrificed. Perhaps the start screen is meant to be used on small, high dpi displays (e.g.: an 8.9" 1080p display), and consequently larger, low-dpi displays, do not provide a satisfying experience.

We are lead to believe that hierarchically, the Start Screen resides at the top-level of the UI. This is smoke and mirrors. From the start screen, using the WINKEY+M key combination, ("minimize all opened windows to desktop") gives you the desktop. The Start Screen is simply a full-screen window.

The Windows Phone and Windows 8 Marketplace are separate entities. On iOS and Android, the marketplace is the same for handset and tablets. The OS and binaries between handset and tablet is the same on these platforms. The windows phone 7/8 start screen looks like the Windows 8 start screen but I bet they are completely different binaries. They hardly behave the same. Again, smoke and mirrors.

On the desktop, I miss the Windows 7 visual style, Aero Glass, Flip 3D, and drop shadows on windows. I do not like how Office 2013 looks (or behaves .... try this: resize an opened Office 2013 window. Ugh). Bland colors lead to eye fatigue. Transparent window borders paired with a nice wallpaper gives natural-looking backgrounds which are more pleasing to me.

Windows 7 was about providing a satisfying user experience, with perfect fit and finish. I don't get this impression with Windows 8. Too many things were left out. The icons and menu bars weren't updated, for instance. I appreciate all the new under-the-hood functionality (e.g. storage spaces, improved out-of-the box virtualization, cloud integration), but wish Windows 8 looked like its early mocks-ups, which was Windows 7 on steroids. The Start Screen should have been provided as an alternate shell.

Windows 8 is great opportunity for customization software. Stardock got my money for Start8, Fences Pro and Decor8. Impatiently awaiting WindowsBlinds compatible with Windows 8.

The Start Screen should have been provided as an alternate shell. In itself the Start Screen is a great opportunity for LOB applications in vertical markets. It provides a secure container for business applications used in retail, the shop floor, or corporate environments, instead of the web browser.

Either way you look at it, the point and click UI isn't holding much water anymore. I can guarantee you'll be seeing more device neutral UI's in the next few years from all parties.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha..... dude, you slay me.

I would submit that the billion plus desktops out there strongly suggest otherwise. Point and click is here for a long long time.