Photo

What was your initial reaction to Windows 8?

win8

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#16 vetJohn S.

John S.

 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 11 February 2013 - 21:50

Win8 is a lot of things but plain and boring? And that's coming from OS X. You gotta explain that one.

I thought it was self-explanitory. Looks to me like something made for a child.

Posted Image

#17 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 11 February 2013 - 21:53

The start button was still present in it's official reveal. It was removed in early 2012.

Start button is still there.... move mouse to bottom left corner, left click.... or right click for advanced options

#18 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 11 February 2013 - 21:53

Normally things that are plain and boring are made for adults, not kids. ;)

Don't be difficult xeno, clearly 'visible' was impled.

#19 OP Gnieus

Gnieus

The Genius

• Phone: iPhone 4, 3Gs, HTC 7 Mozart, BlackBerry Curve 9380

Posted 11 February 2013 - 21:57

Start button is still there.... move mouse to bottom left corner, left click.... or right click for advanced options

The 'button' or 'orb' is gone, however the functionality still exists, in the corner.

#20 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:05

Microsoft, up until Win8, was very choice-friendly with the UI, so when they released 8 and wanted to herd everybody in one direction, it got my immediate disapproval. I'm not opposed to change, but when the change is a large burden (imo), I want nothing of it.

If we had an option to turn on/off the start button and the Modern UI, Win8 would be an insanely good OS.
Start8 makes things better, but at that point, what's the point in trying to make it look and feel like 7 when I could just run 7 natively?

Win8 just seems like the bast*rd child of a tablet and PC one-night-stand.

#21 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:10

Mine was holy crap, I love that!

I'm thinking of the very old purple preview, where the colours looked very refined and the scheme worked great. The concept was fantastic but in the end, for me, it never lived up to what they promised.

Due to a lack of decent apps.

#22 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• Phone: ZTE Crescent

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:17

"This is retarded, where is the start button, why is this a tablet UI on a desktop?"

I still feel this way.

Is it fun living in the past?

A lot of people don't seem to realise you can section off your shortcuts and label them. Here's a section of mine:

Posted Image

#23 Empyrean Glow

Empyrean Glow

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:23

My initial thought; Microsoft is making a mistake, and that 'Metro' on desktops and laptops is a solution looking for a problem.

#24 Empyrean Glow

Empyrean Glow

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:28

Is it fun living in the past?

A lot of people don't seem to realise you can section off your shortcuts and label them. Here's a section of mine:

Posted Image

And...that still looks like crap. The fact that you can sort tiles into groupings with labels does nothing to dispute his statement.

I really like Windows 8. The underlying core operating system is great. The 'Modern' UI is a 'Hollywood Squares' pastel abortion, more annoying and disruptive than it is useful.

#25 macstar

macstar

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:29

i thought it was **** from day 1 but then it didnt affect me that much since i dont use windows anymore.

#26 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:30

Not quite sure how sectioning off solves anything. I also find it interesting that people think common Desktop apps should be pinned to SS. (Chrome, Dropbox, Skype...)

#27 Elessar

Elessar

Professional Daydreamer

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:33

Hated it. Now that I'm using on a regular basis I can appreciate the under-the-hood improvements (speed), however, Metro should ONLY be an option on devices with a touchscreen, IMO. But I still boot right into desktop so it doesn't bother me much anymore.

#28 +dreamsburnred

dreamsburnred

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 625

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:34

For me it was like Windows 7. Tried all the betas and previews of both versions of windows. I had used Ubuntu for the longest time but it just got annoying after a while. Fiance likes Windows 8 as well. So does father in law and sister in law. So in total upgraded 3 computers. Only one is left with Windows 7...because she doesn't like changes.

#29 1941

Banned

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:39

The same as it is now, I thought it sucked.

#30 jjkusaf

jjkusaf

Deadhead

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:39

Like the preview at first, with the start menu. Didn't dig the metro. Thought overall Win8 was ok...though it was (at the time) still nothing much more than Win7 with metro.

Another version came out without the start menu but could be re-added with the registry tweak. Was satisfied but growing worried with the thought that Microsoft may remove the start menu and not provide a method of re-enabling it.

Ran the CP for a few months and decided it wasn't for me...put Win7 back on.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!