Photo

What was your initial reaction to Windows 8?

win8

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#31 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:43

"what is this ugly abomination?"

#32 OP Gnieus

Gnieus

The Genius

• Phone: iPhone 4, 3Gs, HTC 7 Mozart, BlackBerry Curve 9380

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:46

Microsoft, up until Win8, was very choice-friendly with the UI, so when they released 8 and wanted to herd everybody in one direction, it got my immediate disapproval.

I've never been fussy when it comes to the UI of Windows, as with all previous versions I just kept the same theme, just changed the wallpaper. So Microsoft herding everyone with something 'they' want isn't really an issue for me.

#33 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 11 February 2013 - 22:58

I've never been fussy when it comes to the UI of Windows, as with all previous versions I just kept the same theme, just changed the wallpaper. So Microsoft herding everyone with something 'they' want isn't really an issue for me.

I guess I was more referring to the people that always preferred the classic Windows UI and were able to choose that style throughout all the new versions. Microsoft kept that option in there and was considerate of what people preferred.

I just don't see any good reason why Microsoft would take away the start button and force startup to the Modern UI without giving the user options. What they did caused an insane uproar which is looking like it will lose them a considerable amount of money, all because they refused to give the user a choice.

#34 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 12 February 2013 - 13:59

Is it fun living in the past?

Dunno haven't decided yet. From the videos I've seen online I do think living in the past would be fun. I mean no technology, go out work, have a good time. If I could live in the past it would most definitely be medieval times, like game of thrones style. However the 1800s would be fun too.

What do you think?

#35 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 12 February 2013 - 14:05

"This is retarded, where is the start button, why is this a tablet UI on a desktop?"

I still feel this way.

Did then and still do feel this way, but I've learned to live with it.

Have done several downgrades to Windows 7, just because they didn't want to deal with that shock of Windows 8, for other people already though.

#36 MFH

MFH

RAII fanatic

Posted 12 February 2013 - 14:13

I was excited - until they announced that Metro will be the default interface on every form factor...

#37 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 12 February 2013 - 14:15

The DP was very rough around the edges, and I never ran that outside of VM.

The CP and RPs were better, but I was initially let down that nothing much changed from those to the final product. Hopefully, Windows Blue helps let Metro shine - more colors, more background options, and better apps.

I love the Start Screen, and Live Tiles, even on my desktop PC, they're amazing, and the concept is sound. But Metro needs more work to it. I, for one, am glad the Start Menu is gone, and am thrilled it'll never be coming back.

#38 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 12 February 2013 - 14:26

My first thought was "What the hell is this ugly mess, and how do I disable it". My thought hasn't changed significantly apart from the fact that I find the theme in the RTM even more revolting. At least the DP, CP, and RP had glass.

#39 Riggers

Riggers

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 12 February 2013 - 14:29

My initial reaction. This has been tailored to suit touch screen systems, and Microsoft want a piece of the app store pie!

#40 10thmandown

10thmandown

air breather

Posted 12 February 2013 - 14:29

Initial reaction : ######

But after using it for a couple of months I cannot return to 7 anymore.

#41 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 25 million+ downloads & growing

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 February 2013 - 14:32

OH **** NOT AGAIN I thought.

#42 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 12 February 2013 - 15:09

DP was pleh. CP was better.

I initially hated it... but it grew on me.... and I'm using it in server 2012 form and I love it.

#43 johnporter29

johnporter29

a = 1; b = 2; a + b = c

• Phone: Moto G 4G

Posted 12 February 2013 - 16:40

My thoughts was "Cool, a new version of Windows, great" - Been using it since release at home and haven't looked back.

#44 tim_s

tim_s

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 12 February 2013 - 23:07

Hi Everyone,

So interestingly today I built myself a Windows 8 machine as I was curious to personally see how our products faired on the new MS OS, until now I have just been believing the developers.

(Who trust developers though --- right RIGHT?, I am kidding)

So - I launch MS Explorer which right out of the box was made available to me and installed a few items.

Outside of the tiles acting like a gigantic task bar, nothing really is mind blowing outrageous.

I mean "YES" Skype is a little awkward but it functions and switching back and forth is easy enough.

In terms of speed, Windows 7 is still number 1 for me but I would not describe the Windows 8 experience as horrendous.

#45 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 February 2013 - 23:10

Finally, a good touch UI for my tablet PC! And by a good touch UI I mean a UI that works well with Touch, not a UI that ONLY works with touch. I have zero issues with Windows 8 on my tablet in laptop mode and on my desktop with a large 30" 2560x1600 monitor. I just use the start screen as I did the start menu on those (winkey, few letters, enter button).