What was your initial reaction to Windows 8?

I know how you feel.

When I first saw them Demo Metro I thought it looked pretty good. But once all of the info started to become finalized, how the start menu was being removed and metro was going to be the default. I all of the sudden started to get more and more scared of new computer setups with this peice of **** on it and how lost people will be. How it would be a phone support nightmare.

Over all i've been correct people are pretty lost. When I left an old womans house a few days ago I showed her the basics of The modern UI and the titles, but when I left I felt sorry for this poor old lady. She was going to be totally lost. Though to help her out I did pin a few of her things to the taskbar.

Her all in 1 computer also happened to have a touch screen. Which as i'm showing her different things with the touch screen, she looked really stupd reaching out and touching her computer screen.

I'm not sure what makes Dot Matrix thing that will catch on. I know I don't want to be reaching my arms out for everything I do on the pc.

My 60 year old mother in law loves it because she just has a list of all her favorite sites on the start screen. She only uses her computer for e-mail and web browsing, and she loves it.

Different strokes for different folks :) She figured it out mostly for herself, only trick I had to show her was pinning sites.

Over all i've been correct people are pretty lost. When I left an old womans house a few days ago I showed her the basics of The modern UI and the titles, but when I left I felt sorry for this poor old lady. She was going to be totally lost. Though to help her out I did pin a few of her things to the taskbar.

Old people are confused by the accelerator pedal and turn signals in their cars too. Didn't know we should judge how technology advances by what old people think of it.

And if she knew how windows 7 worked, 8 is no different. Type your app, and voila. Or pin it. Takes all of 5 seconds to learn.

Everyone I know who's either upgraded or bought a new computer took less than 10mins to learn how to use it. If you're reaching your arms out to do anything, please quit your job since you have no idea how to efficiently use Windows. I'll give you a hint, type the app you want and select it (either with the mouse / press enter). Or right click on your most preferred apps and pin them. Which is wait for it...just like Windows 7 and Vista, just displayed in a different form.

If you hate the start screen there are quite a few apps you can use (some free, some paid) to revert to the start menu. Not that hard to do either and nobody is stopping you. That way you get all the under the hood changes to Windows (better performance etc) and none of the metro additions.

It's okay. Initially, I was actually very pleased because the upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 was seamless. I LOVE that!

Once you get used to it, there are some nice things about it. However, it still feels rough. I feel there's more that can be done with the task bar, to kind of allow for more customization or ways of working in order to be more productive, like being able to access categorized lists of apps, without having to resort back and forth between the start screen. My Windows 8 machine resides on my laptop, where limited screen space is a concern, and I find the start screen to be a bit useless. My short term memory kind of blows, and right now, I hit Start and blank out whenever I'm trying to remember the name of the application I'm typing. (similar program names makes this worse)

Seeing things like Bins is the sort of thing that always gets me wondering why Microsoft isn't doing this. If they did this with Windows 8, I'd probably have ZERO qualms about losing the Start Menu.

Other than that, I'm okay with Windows 8. Just not putting it on my main machine yet due to concerns regarding compatibility with all my games, hardware, etc.

My initial thoughts were "interesting" and that is were it ended at that stage.

I have made the leap into Windows 8 this week and am now working fully on a Windows 8 laptop in work......it's quick, it's slick, it does the job just as well as any other.

The fact there is no start button is only small learning curve to get used to. I have been using Windows 8 for 5 days now and I am used to it. There is a handy search function which is very easy to access. If anything, it's simpler than scrolling through your Start menu looking for apps etc.

Anyone who complains about Windows 8 due to a lack of Start button is quite clearly being ignorant and lazy or (as I feel a lot of people are doing) is jumping on the "I hate Windows 8" bandwagon without giving it a chance.

The OS is undoubtably aimed towards tablets and touchscreens etc but what is wrong with that? MS are just futureproofing themselves with their latest OS as obviously in time touchscreen technology will take over the world, whether it be TV, computer screen, laptop screen.

Cool! I can't wait to get a beta.

Used the DP. Was neat.

RP came around and start button was gone. Didn't care.

Novelty of the start screen wore off.

RTM is released, I switched to that and haven't looked back. Spend 85% of my time in desktop mode on my 55" TV.

So far I just use weather, mail, maps, netflix, calendar, recipe apps in the ModernUI and launch programs from the start screen.

Affect on productivity - None, no phantom affect.

Annoyances - Can't think of any. None.

Thoughts on those who whine - WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Don't care.

My revised answer is the first time I saw windows 8 I thought "Why are they hiding all the important menu's, like the start button and the charms bar? Why is everything hidden!" ... I thought that way back then and I still feel that way now.

Mine was.... Why?

Then I went to the desktop and saw the theme... WTF? Why is it so ugly?

Then I tried to change the font... OK! This is ****ing stupid, what OS won't let you change the font...

Then I re-installed Windows 7, and I am hoping Valve really pushes to make Linux a viable gaming choice before Windows 7 support ends. :)

Then I re-installed Windows 7, and I am hoping Valve really pushes to make Linux a viable gaming choice before Windows 7 support ends. :)

I don't see the gaming community moving away from Windows anytime soon. Windows 8 actually makes games easier to find, I just pin them all in a group on my Start Screen. EASY ACCESS! :D

I loved it, I was excited by it, but I'm also a Windows Phone user, and have loved the Metro-style since Zune. My first contact with the OS was premature, as it was the Developer's Preview, and I am NOT a developer! Used Consumer Preview, and the Release Preview. Bought it for my laptop at launch, and got it for my desktop recently. I got used to it pretty darn quickly, love it, and would rather use Windows 8 than Windows 7.

The biggest helps for me were learning how the corners and such worked, and keyboard shortcuts. I simply adore the ability to hotkey searching for Apps, Files, and Settings. I still use the desktop for some things (games, Office, and other apps), but overall I'm mostly Metro.

edit: And I do not miss the Start button. The Start page and the Charms work better for me, but again, I'm used to it.

Did not want at first...but then, I actually used it for an extended period of time (two weeks~ish), then fell in love with it...now, if only I could upgrade my desktop with the same key that I got for free from Microsoft so I could use it on 2 devices....but that doesn't matter now. I have a job, so finally, I can afford some upgrades, whether it be software OR hardware. :)

These Windows 8 discussions always end up the same: those that don't like it say so, those that do like it, try to convince the haters that they're wrong.

Then Dot Matrix makes us feel like we are at a Microsoft Keynote.

I don't hate it, but dislike it on pc.

I don't like the constant flipping between metro apps and pc software.

I don't like not being to have to metro apps on one screen at a time.

I don't like having double control panel / system apps, with the metro versions being less featured then the desktop one.

With the Surface (not pro), Windows 8 seems to make sense and works, but only find it as usable as an iPad/Andriod tablet.

Do like, reduce boot up time.

Do like multiple file copy dialog box / change focus.

The ability to re-install it self from scratch keeping activation and your documents is nice.

It took a few weeks to stumble across the charm bar (on pc) let alone what it's used for.

My first thoughts before I saw it the first time was:

WTF? It's 2013, I have a brand new PC, and MS could not talk with Intel or whomsoever for an easy Installation? Why there is no "Help" within the installation process?

(Try to an install Win8 64, on a PC with a 160 GB SDD and a 3TB HD without partitioning the HD, to know what I mean. Who can do this without a second PC with Internet/Google?)

After I saw it the first time (and after the 5th and 6th new Installation, because of this partion problems and that I wanted move c:\users to d:\users):

Hmmh. Looks new and interesting, why many users have the "It is hard to teach an old dog tricks." problems?

My today thoughts about Win 8:

1)"I like it, and it need only a few improvements."

2)A profound thought "Will we still have a 'Desktop' in Windows 10?"

(Try to an install Win8 64, on a PC with a 160 GB SDD and a 3TB HD without partitioning the HD, to know what I mean. Who can do this without a second PC with Internet/Google?)

I don't get it...

my reaction was that all in all it isn't too bad. I brought stardock's start button solution for Windows 8, coming from OSX it was a little tricky, but certainly not a show stopper.

I don't get it...

MBR<->GPT, Windows 8 Installer suggestions for partitions, warnings within the installer and my new PC is my first PC with UEFI. All this without a second PC to get any information from the internet? Maybe possible for you, but not for users like myself.

It took a few weeks to stumble across the charm bar (on pc) let alone what it's used for.

Truth be told, Microsoft has done a miserable job showing folks how to use it with a keyboard and mouse. I don't think anyone can debate that. And that's a real pity! While their dancing Surface videos are fun and all, they've got a long way to go in terms of educating folks on how to use it. Likewise, I don't think PC OEMs have done it any real favors, either - they could be, should be doing the same thing, if not more. That, and all the laptops that are pretty much Windows 7 laptops with Windows 8 thrown on them. Great OS either way, but I can't go to any store without touching the laptop screens now... Touch plus keyboard and mouse? Oooh... I wish I could get a new one right now. Or a good tablet :(