• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 23:33

Maybe they did it on a US keyboard.

lol, afaik, US vs UK keyboard layouts do not have 2's and 4's, 6's and 0's and even more weirdly, 0's and 5's reversed ! ;)

#17 Garnet H.

Garnet H.

astropheed

• 1,617 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 23:57

I'd save the money for the first couple months... then I'd probably be like, ok this is weird and report something.

But honestly if you screw this up this many times without checking your balances in your accounts and somehow not being notified you're months and then years in debt without payment..... idk, you deserve it, I guess I'm saying. You deserve to not get that money back. But maybe that's just me.

The receiver should still return the money, but in all honesty, I don't really feel bad for the woman if they don't.

#18 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:11

The fact she correctly entered her surname as the intended recipient at Nationwide, alongside the correct sort code, counted for nothing. When banks transfer money, they use only the sort code and account number – it turns out that account names are irrelevant.

Why even bother with our names and sort code if they aren't going to bother to use it?

#19 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• 5,333 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 16:41

This is one of those rare situations that a person should have the ability to sue the way we do in the USA. Refusing to pay it back should be illegal. There is no way the recipient didn't know that money didn't belong to them.

Really? You wouldnt realize if an extra 1000 was being transferred into your account every month? :huh: You'd have to be rich to not realize it, and the fact that this person doesnt have the money to pay it back cancels out the rich part. Just another example where people will try and get away with as much as they can. God forbid the person called their bank to see where the money came from... nope. Ill just spend it and plead ignorance when the times comes.

#20 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,370 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 17:09

Really? You wouldnt realize if an extra 1000 was being transferred into your account every month? :huh: You'd have to be rich to not realize it, and the fact that this person doesnt have the money to pay it back cancels out the rich part. Just another example where people will try and get away with as much as they can. God forbid the person called their bank to see where the money came from... nope. Ill just spend it and plead ignorance when the times comes.

You might want to re-read what you quoted. I think you misunderstood...

#21 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• 5,333 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 17:30

You might want to re-read what you quoted. I think you misunderstood...

thanks! :blush: my apologies to ILikeTobacco (this is why you dont use double negatives :rofl: )

#22 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 17:32

Sounds like a good lawsuit to me.

This isn't america.

#23 PhilTheThrill

PhilTheThrill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,871 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 12 February 2013 - 18:01

If it takes that long before you even notice...your fault.

#24 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

• 12,141 posts
  • Phone: I need a new one. Gibe moni plos

Posted 12 February 2013 - 18:21

This wouldn't happen in my country.

When you enter the NIB (local bank account number) it displays a String of who/what owns the account.

#25 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,014 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 19:00

This never could have happened in Belgium and shouldn't happen anymore in Europe either as long as you use IBAN numbers instead of national bank account numbers. In both our Belgian account numbers and IBAN's there is a pretty good check built-in. Replacing a single character will always invalidate the account number, switching the positions of two numbers will too. All other changes are also pretty unlikely to still be valid (unless you're really unlucky).

UK bank account numbers don't have checks built in?

#26 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• 5,048 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 19:13

How is that even possible? In my country bank numbers have a fixed length and end with a CRC, so a typo would more than likely give an invalid number

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!