Windows 8 Pro License Question (Want To Install on Macbook)

So I have a legit copy of Windows 8 Pro. The retail install disk.

I installed Windows 8 on my gaming PC launch day, but I did not want to take the full plunge, so I installed it on a separate partition. As a result I am obviously dual booting Windows 8 Pro and Windows 7 Pro Ultimate.

Truth be told, I have barely used Windows 8. My gaming PC is really just that, I use it for gaming and streaming media to my gaming consoles. So I do not even use it that much unfortunately these days, and since I have Windows 7 completely set up how I need it and want it, I just boot into it and have pretty much forgotten about 8 on that computer.

Thing is, I want to start really using Windows 8. I feel like I would like it once I do based on the few hours I did check it out on my gaming PC.

So, I have decided since I use my Macbook Pro Retina for 95% of my computing, I am going to go ahead and purchase a copy of Parallels Desktop 8 so I can use Windows 8 on my Macbook (Amazon has it for $56, and from what I have read, Boot Camp currently does not support Windows 8, or I would definitely use it since it is Apple's free solution to run Windows).

So what is the easiest way as far as the key is concerned that I can go about installing Windows 8 through Parallels?

For my Windows 8 installation on my Gaming PC, I actually upgraded to the free Media Center Pack that was being offered when Windows 8 first launched. So that is the key that is currently active on my Windows 8 install.

So my question is, can I use the original key I used before upgrading to the Media Center Pack on the copy I install on Parallels? Or is it going to tell me the key is in use?

If so, I will go ahead and deactivate the Windows 8 key on my gaming PC, but prefer not to for the obvious reason of I would rather be able to run it on both computers, especially if I do come to really like it through the Macbook, I would make the switch on my gaming PC.

Or, do I not realize it, and am I allowed to use the same key on a few different computers? For some reason, I feel like with Windows 7 Pro, I was able to install it on a few different computers. That may be Windows 7 Pro Ultimate though, and I definitely only have Windows 8 pro AFAIK.

TIA,

DL

Or, do I not realize it, and am I allowed to use the same key on a few different computers? For some reason, I feel like with Windows 7 Pro, I was able to install it on a few different computers.

I thought you could... but.

How many Computers Can You Install One License On?

?If you purchase one (1) retail Windows edition, you may install and activate just one (1) installation at a time. You will need to buy a second license/key to activate a second Windows installation at the same time.

http://answers.micro...3d-e1c4f8e1fcf9

Wndows 8 is a pre-requirement of the Media Pack I believe (unless you have a full standalone media pack that includes its own Windows 8 license) so you need to remove Windows 8 on the other install to stay legal. If you have activation problems, just call up and tell the operator you are changing PCs with your retail license,

Just FYI, Windows 8 is unlikely to need official Boot Camp support for your platform. Practically everything within the current boot camp works in Windows 8 with one exception. You may not be able to get facetime drivers to work for your web cam at this time (I haven't really bothered trying to get them to work though as we don't use the web cams; there may be existing drivers that work). If you are using an AMD graphics card, the drivers within boot camp will work, but they'll give you an error during install because the C++ framework the AMD drivers wish to install are built-in to Windows 8.

Otherwise I?ve deployed Windows 8 x64 against all my Mac?s without having to do anything different from Windows 7 x64. Your experience would probably be the same. (Mac hardware models I've deployed against are "iMac 11,2", "iMac 12,1", "iMac5,1", and "MacBookPro8,3")

Just FYI, Windows 8 is unlikely to need official Boot Camp support for your platform. Practically everything within the current boot camp works in Windows 8 with one exception. You may not be able to get facetime drivers to work for your web cam at this time (I haven't really bothered trying to get them to work though as we don't use the web cams; there may be existing drivers that work). If you are using an AMD graphics card, the drivers within boot camp will work, but they'll give you an error during install because the C++ framework the AMD drivers wish to install are built-in to Windows 8.

Otherwise I?ve deployed Windows 8 x64 against all my Mac?s without having to do anything different from Windows 7 x64. Your experience would probably be the same. (Mac hardware models I've deployed against are "iMac 11,2", "iMac 12,1", "iMac5,1", and "MacBookPro8,3")

I have read there are multiple issues with Windows 8 and the Macbook Pro Retina.

here is just one quote...

Until Apple releases Boot Camp drivers for Windows 8, you?ll need an external mouse for right-clicking. When the touch aspects of Windows 8 are taken into account, what is needed to make good use of Microsoft?s operating system is a track pad that recognises multi-fingered swipes and gestures. You?re not going to find that at this moment with Apple hardware. Another issue is that Windows can only engage the MacBook?s Nvidia graphics card, not the on-board Intel chipset that OS X will use to extend battery life.

Combining Windows 8 and a Retina MacBook Pro was an exercise in frustration ? due in equal parts to the hardware chosen and the duplicity of Windows 8, an operating system where there are now two places for everything.

The above taken from here.

And there are definitely much more articles and forum posts (especially on Apple.com) I have found about the two not liking each other. Then even if it does work, have to mess around with the scaling, right click will not work at all on the track-pad, etc.

To be very honest, I do not want a half assed experience and one that not everything will work and I need to tweak things to get everything working as it should. That is why I am avoiding Boot Camp. Rumors are Apple may update Bootcamp in the next OS X incremental update, so I may hold off for that. Will see, this is not something I need to do ASAP, just something I want to do.

So sounds like I need to deactivate my one install when I do do this. Thanks. Knew I should have purchased another Win 8 license for $39 when they were available.