Need immediate help. I'm starting a new job tomorrow but have two job o

I am in a tough spot. Very tough. I got offered a job through a car dealership 20 minutes away from my house. To be a shuttle driver, also wash cars, help out with the parts department sometimes. Also bring in cars to the garage so the mechanics can work on it. They want me to start tomorrow. The parts manager told me in a few months I can move up to work as a full time parts runner. I speak Spanish as a second language and he told me it's valuable to have working in the parts department. The pay starts at $9.50 by the way. The job is M-F usually and work on Saturdays as well. The schedule will change though depending on the needs of the dealership. They told me that.

This car dealership has a few other dealerships around the state.

The other job is through a staffing agency. They also want me to start tomorrow. I will be a order puller for the mechanics at a military base. So I already have my background check and drug test done a week and a half ago. This job is guaranteed M-F with every other Friday off. it pays a bit more $10.00 an hour. The company at the base is a huge corporation.

Both jobs will give me my 40 hours a week. The dealership job will sometimes have less hours.

I have not worked in a long time. It's a tough job market out there. I have applied numerous times and have had about 15 job interviews in the past few months. These are the first two real job offers I have had in a long time. I am with other staffing agencies and call in every week to see if they have any jobs.

I am not sure which job to pick. I will have to burn a bridge with one of the job offers. You see my wife and I only own one car and she is due to give birth around March 31st or before. You never know though.

The car dealership job starts tomorrow at 8 and ends at 5. That is not the original schedule. My boss at first said Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays 7-7 pm. With some work to make up my hours

on Mondays and Fridays. I think I will work the original schedule next week or the week after.

The staffing agency job starts tomorrow at 7 am and ends at 3:30. The regular schedule will be from 6:00 to 2:30 and some days at 5:30.

I really don't know what to do and not sure which job will I like the most.

Please help.

By the way the two different jobs are about the same in travel time. 25-30 minutes depending on traffic.

JC - You have to look at what Health Benefits you can receive from either company. Sounds like the Puller Position is from a larger company which could possible provide you with benefits in future if they choose to hire you on full time from them.

What are the possibilities for the staffing company allowing you to go full time after 90 days? Do they have an option from either side? Benefits from either the staffing company or the company on the base?

Health Benefits from the Car Dealership? Would you be considered full time employee or part time? If either do they offer benefits to both?

40 hours a week guaranteed from one job is much safer and more stable than sometimes 40 hours from the dealership. With a child on the way you need stability and medical coverage if you can get it from the staffing company or the hiring company in the future.

Are the possibilities to be hired on directly with the Military base company an option?

I would lean towards the 40 hours a week over a potential 40 hours a week job.

Good luck with what you decide. I am sure you will make the right decision for you and your family.

• Like 1

At the car dealership I will be a full time employee. If I go to work for the car dealership I will have benefits in 60 days. They don't give benefits to part-time employees. Only full-time employees that have 36 hours or more a week.

The staffing agency does have insurance benefits. But truly it's not the greatest insurance coverage. But it's better than nothing. It starts as soon as you get your first paycheck for the staffing agency insurance. The people at the staffing agency told me if you do work hard, rarely call in sick and always be on time there is a good chance you will be hired on with that company. I think it's after 90 days. But they told me it's not a guarantee. I really don't like living in a "At Will employment" state.

Also I'm not sure which job will be okay with taking two days off when my son is born. That's the real question.